PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Sammy Morris

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a bad signing, but if these our the RB next year it is a down grade from last year. Maroney can prove me wrong tho :)

Scout.com reports that RB Sammy Morris got a four-year deal worth $7 million and that he'll get $5 million in the first two years of deal.

Does that strike anyone as odd? First, it seems a little high ($5 million over the first two years) and then putting two minimum salaries at the end?

Can't wait to see the details.....As usual, I'm betting we get good value for our signings.

Does that strike anyone as odd? First, it seems a little high ($5 million over the first two years) and then putting two minimum salaries at the end?

Can't wait to see the details.....As usual, I'm betting we get good value for our signings.

The new salary cap is going to take some getting used to. Salaries will seem high when in fact they are relatively low.

Re: RUMOR: Pats sign Sammy Morris??

Bottom line is that Super Bowl champions convert 3rd and 2s and 3rd and 4s. We had depth issues at RB last year and talent in the WR core that was derth in making the "big" play. Morris is a solid #2 or #3 back. Nothing against him. My personal preface is someone back there that can pound away at a defense. Maroney has shown flashes of that. He has also showed flashes of dancing behind the line- hurt or not, it is a concern of mine.

Yeah, remember the good old days when the SB champion Pats had A. Smith dominating.

What the hell is going on? You guys are taking all of our players. What's next, Thomas? Taylor? No way that will ever happen.:D

Well I broke down Wes in another thread so I'll give you a heads up on Sammy. He's a strong runner who can come in on third down and get a tough yard every now and then. He filled in nicely when Ronnie Brown missed 3 and a half games going over 90 yards 2 times in those 3 and a half games. He's not a starter, but defininetly a solid backup for Maroney. Another good signing for New England. You guys never have good free agency periods, what the hell? lol

What the hell is going on? You guys are taking all of our players. What's next, Thomas? Taylor? No way that will ever happen.:D
Well if we are going to have 2 Brady's we might as well have 3 Thomas's. :p.
How is the Phin's cap status. How much under are they?

Last edited:

Are you kidding me?

If we got 3rd and 2s we'd be sizing a 4th ring right now.

How many times did Maroney get stopped vs Indy?

holy sh$%.......how true is this? All it would have taken is ONE FU**ING first down......and we would be looking at another ring....amazing how close you can come.....and still walk away with jacksh##.......still burns my *****

Getting to the signing of Sammy...at this point DON'T get it.....but that is why I am sitting here tonight.....and BB is at Gillette........GO PATS!!!

It's not a bad signing, but if these our the RB next year it is a down grade from last year. Maroney can prove me wrong tho :)

Well I think this is a valid point......Maroney is sort of a big question mark right now....in regards to being an EVERY DOWN back......We don't know whether he will succeed in that format or not yet......I see the Pats drafting another FA RB or drafting one.....Maroney...has shown flashes of absolute brilliance...what happens in 2007 has yet to be seen......one man's opinion......GO PATS!!!!

Last edited:
How many times did Maroney get stopped vs Indy?

That's true, and now your running game is much weaker heading into '07. Sammy Morris?

Well if we are going to have 2 Brady's we might as well have 3 Thomas's. :p.
How is the Phin's cap status. How much under are they?

Phins in cap hell

Yeah, remember the good old days when the SB champion Pats had A. Smith dominating.

He did get the tough yards when he had to.

I can assure you that we WILL see another. The Pats learned last year that even with 4 "RB"s you don't have enough. Mills could be the 5th if they continue the FB/H-back development.

I would fully expect Mills to be the 5th since Kyle Brady is signed now as Graham's replacement. Teams rarely carry more than 3 TEs.

He did get the tough yards when he had to.
Superbowl XXXVI, up 17-10, under 3 minutes to play, need one first down to lock the game away, A Smith cannot get the tough yards we needed. We punt, the Rams score and tie the game.

We get the ball back with 1:17 to play. Fortunately, A Smith never touches the ball again and we win.

Teams rarely carry more than 3 TEs.
We carried four TEs last year until Mills went on IR if you count Mills as a TE, as some say.

Personally I think once Mills was drafted it meant the end of patrick pass, which as it turned out happened. For that reason alone, I may buy a Mills jersey.

Last edited:
I'm usually Mr. Positive. But, want to mention a little negative news on Morris. Wasn't he suspended 4gm for testing positive for Roids? I remember Curran and Co. talking about him on WEEI before the game in Miami. They mentioned how cut he was and have never seen anyone in better shape.
Then he went out and had a big game against us. Is this the case of someone taking his conditioning more seriously? Or, being artificially helped?
A guy this late in his career makes me think the latter. Time will tell.

does anyone know why Sammy would fit here?

can someone provide a link if it's been discussed or just briefly tell me why he's a good fit?

I don't get it. I was always under the impression he sucked. I don't know whether that's b/c he played for Miami or not.
I have seen some positive reviews from Dolphins fans. And they were really dissapointed at the possibility of him not just leaving but coming here. He can really be a solid back for us. Great to have him aboard.

does anyone know why Sammy would fit here?

can someone provide a link if it's been discussed or just briefly tell me why he's a good fit?

I don't get it. I was always under the impression he sucked. I don't know whether that's b/c he played for Miami or not.

he's a "c" player only. stunk it up in buffalo, stunk it up in miami. guess after he stinks it up here he can go and stink it up for the jets so he can say he stunk up the entire afc east

he's a "c" player only. stunk it up in buffalo, stunk it up in miami. guess after he stinks it up here he can go and stink it up for the jets so he can say he stunk up the entire afc east
He never "stunk it up". He was a decent RB in Miami, but ofcourse a backup.

This is way off. No one is saying he is Walter Payton but he is a versatile player and a solid back up.

Final score? How many rings did we win? How many yards did he rush for that year. Are you using one play to make a point?

Like I said, getting 1st dows on 3rd and 2s just doesn't need to be via run. Short passing games get us there too. Look at the 80's 49ers and the 2003 Pats who had a great D and admittingly, a below average A. Smith in the backfield.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes