PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign QB Kafka, DE Benard to future contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to be clear: these are off-season signings for 2013. Or camp competition.

The question must be asked:

With Kafka coming on board, does this mean that the offense will be undergoing a metamorphosis?

With Kafka coming on board, does this mean that the offense will be undergoing a metamorphosis?

As long as it's not at quarterback... prefer Tom as human

As long as it's not at quarterback... prefer Tom as human

The question that Kafka would have us ask:

To Benard or not Benard?

:D

Last edited:

TFB has been slacking lately. I mean Dirty Sanchez is a better QB than TFB right now. :rolleyes:

TFB has been slacking lately. I mean Dirty Sanchez is a better QB than TFB right now. :rolleyes:
Don't forget about Sanchez's super high ceiling and untapped championship Quarterback potential.

Don't forget about Sanchez's super high ceiling and untapped championship Quarterback potential.

Dirty Sanchez will easily win the next 10 Superbowls with Rex Ryan coaching him up. :p

Pats sign QB Kafka, DE Benard - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Kafka's good depth for TC, Benard had 7.5 sacks in 2010.

Kafka's doesn't really excite me at all. Benard on the other hand I think could be a great player for us. He was really coming on with Browns in under EM in his 3-4 scheme. 3.5 sacks as a rookie, 7.5 as a sophomore, then struggled in 2011 with the switch to a 4-3.

As long as he is recovered from the accident I think he is a going to have a impact for us in 2013. Kudos to BB for signing him to a futures contract now before the offseason workouts began. Now he can have him all winter and get him fully on board.

Orson Welles' adaptation of Kaka's "The Trial" is in my top 5 fave films in my 1,000 flick collection. Jean Moreau's washed-up single lady of the night is sluttiness at its jaded best. And how nobody has a name and everyone has ambiguous skeletons in their closet against The State.
The haunting abandoned Paris train station catacombs & dehumanizing Eastern European block high rise filming locations are second to none.
Man, they don't make 'em like that anymore. Dating back to around 20 years before American Film became forever dumbed-down for the masses.

Josef was brought by a nameless man to a large building, asked to sign a waiver, which was taken by a young attractive, but nervous woman, into a back room. He felt, without being told, that he should wait in the office, which was packed with sixteen other large sweaty men. The heat started to become unbearable. "Why are we here?" he asked, trying to sound calm. They just looked at him with uncomfortable faces, as if he had broken an important rule in the waiting area.

A young man in a suit walked through, and Josef stood up and grabbed him by the coat-tails, "What is going on what are we waiting for?" The man in the suit smiled nervously and kept walking, the way of the nervous woman.

Metal gratings, black, in the ceiling. Josef only noticed them when they opened and the dry heat started to pour in. Sweating accelerated, shifting in seats, but nobody breaking the code of silence.

"What the @#$ is this place?!" he screamed? People looked at the floor, and seemed to cower away from him, as if he had a contagious disease. He started to claw at the door, rattling the knob, screaming to "I just want to play football why are you wasting our time."

"Please come through door number pi" said a voice through an invisible speaker.

And I think we all know how that story goes....

Last edited:

Only Kafka could sign a "future" contract. Aren't all contracts for the "future?"

So can we now again say we have the top 3 QBs in the division?

[actually tannehill and moore would be pretty decent backups here]

Last edited:
If Benard is healthy he can contribute, good depth guy and a potential rusher on 3rd down. He also fainted in the Browns locker room once during a press conf, I think it was late in the year in 2010.

Some comments from the Cleveland Browns board about Marcus Benard:

"Good for Benard. He could be a pretty good pickup for the Pats.
You play to win the game."

"Good for him. Always liked Benard, he just blew his Browns opportunity like Winslow did. It happens."

"Hopefully still explosive, as a situational 3-4 OLB. 'No Motorcycles' clause in the contract?"

"I had big hopes for him coming back and giving us 6-10 sacks on passing downs. hopefully it works out for him there"

Scout.com: Caplan - Patriots signed LB/DE Marcus Benard

Josef was brought by a nameless man to a large building, asked to sign a waiver, which was taken by a young attractive, but nervous woman, into a back room. He felt, without being told, that he should wait in the office, which was packed with sixteen other large sweaty men. The heat started to become unbearable. "Why are we here?" he asked, trying to sound calm. They just looked at him with uncomfortable faces, as if he had broken an important rule in the waiting area.

A young man in a suit walked through, and Josef stood up and grabbed him by the coat-tails, "What is going on what are we waiting for?" The man in the suit smiled nervously and kept walking, the way of the nervous woman.

Metal gratings, black, in the ceiling. Josef only noticed them when they opened and the dry heat started to pour in. Sweating accelerated, shifting in seats, but nobody breaking the code of silence.

"What the @#$ is this place?!" he screamed? People looked at the floor, and seemed to cower away from him, as if he had a contagious disease. He started to claw at the door, rattling the knob, screaming to "I just want to play football why are you wasting our time."

"Please come through door number pi" said a voice through an invisible speaker.

And I think we all know how that story goes....

heh...at this point I'd like to interject my little piece of faux Kafkaism...

Max Bialystock: [reading through scripts] Wait, here's one: "One morning Gregor Samsa awoke to discover he had been transformed into a giant ****roach!"...
[pause]
Max Bialystock: Nah, too good.

Kafka is an interesting pick up...or not. I know at one time the Eagles liked him a lot. He could provide a couple of interesting scenarios. 1. The Pats now might feel more comfortable in trading Mallett if they got a worthy offer. Now they could bring back Cassell and he and Kafka could battle it out for the back up role. 2. He's just a camp arm BTW- he DOES have 10 more completions in his career than Ryan Mallet has. ;)

Benard seems a bit small, but those sack totals are pretty impressive for a part time situational player. Worth a shot. I wonder if Bill called Eric before he signed him? ;)

I watched Kafka when he was a QB for Northwestern and I was very impressed with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes