PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Pats sign Jacoby Brissett

So you’d rather lose than win.

Got it.
In the offseason, it's easy to root for something similar to what happened to CIN where they picked Burrow at 1 and Chase a 5. During the season? I want every win.

You sure bout that? In a year when the Steelers are trotting out the corpse of Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins gets 4 years?

Kirk. Couins.

Gets FOUR years.

Personally I'm good with Brissett over most of the guys currently out there. Most of the guys who are "better" were actually better, like, 5 years ago, but no recent body of work suggests any of them would perform better than JB7

Unless you want to suggest that we should be the ones propping up Chef Russ's desecrated remains for 17 games? Personally given those choices I'm good with Brissett. We aren't going anywhere this year regardless, after all.

Tyrod Taylor, Jimmy G., Fields are among those I'd take over Brissett. Fields most of all, as he arguably remains a work in progress. But it probably is water under the bridge now that Jacoby is signed so all we can do is hope for the best. What bugs me most is this fatalistic attitude of, "We're not going anywhere so it doesn't matter." While that might be true, pursuing wins with a sense of urgency -- regardless of where you are in the team-building process -- is how winning programs are created.

Teams around the league didn't but Tunescribe did. Lol

Tyrod Taylor, Jimmy G., Fields are among those I'd take over Brissett. Fields most of all, as he arguably remains a work in progress. But it probably is water under the bridge now that Jacoby is signed so all we can do is hope for the best. What bugs me most is this fatalistic attitude of, "We're not going anywhere so it doesn't matter." While that might be true, pursuing wins with a sense of urgency -- regardless of where you are in the team-building process -- is how winning programs are created.

With Brissett and a rookie the team has enough cap room to bring in another QB. Why not bring in Fields now that his trade value is likely very reasonable?

Tyrod Taylor, Jimmy G., Fields are among those I'd take over Brissett.
This is brilliant.

Taylor who got benched for Tommy DeVito who lives in his mom's basement.

JimmyG who had 9 INTs in 6 games and got benched for Aidan O'Connell, a 4th Rd rookie. Oh, Jimmy's suspended the 1st two games also.

Fields, who no team had any interest in, at any cost and who wants to be QB1. Great guy to mentor a rook.

Stick to playing with your birds or whatever it is you do with them.

Teams around the league didn't but Tunescribe did. Lol

Yes, just hilarious. "Lol."

You've confirmed that Justin Fields traded to New England was a completely media-driven story, with zero football sources. Basically, it came to them in a dream, when it never had any basis in reality.

You've confirmed that Justin Fields traded to New England was a completely media-driven story, with zero football sources. Basically, it came to them in a dream, when it never had any basis in reality.

OF COURSE it's a media-driven story, nobody has suggested the Patriots have or had official interest. Just pointing out its plausibility and that it wasn't exclusively my pipe dream. Besides, it still could happen as wherever Fields goes likely will involve compensation TBD.

My post said "teams around the league," not media. Who cares what these talking heads hot takes are. Apparently you do. Jones & Mego? Lol

My post said "teams around the league," not media. Who cares what these talking heads hot takes are. Apparently you do. Jones & Mego? Lol

You're trying too hard and it makes you look silly. Ask yourself what is unique about Justin Fields relative to the other quarterbacks listed in your linked article. THEN ask yourself what are the two most obvious reasons Fields to this point has not signed elsewhere.

You're trying too hard and it makes you look silly. Ask yourself what is unique about Justin Fields relative to the other quarterbacks listed in your linked article. THEN ask yourself what are the two most obvious reasons Fields to this point has not signed elsewhere.
You're the one that's trying too hard.

I wanted Brissett. They signed Brissett. I'm not worrying about Fields, Taylor or Jimmy.

Last edited:
You're the one that's trying to hard.

I wanted Brissett. They signed Brissett. I'm not worrying about Fields, Taylor or Jimmy.

You were worried enough about Fields to attempt disparaging him by comparison via linking an article, which doesn't fly. I'm not trying at all beyond illustrating his plausibility as a candidate. Plenty of other folks happen to agree. Unfortunately, we'll never know what has transpired or might be in process with other teams involving him (including possibly the Patriots). But as I pointed out, there are two primary reasons nothing has happened yet with Fields relative to the other QB signings.

Tyrod Taylor, Jimmy G., Fields are among those I'd take over Brissett.

I doubt you'll find consensus that any of these guys are better than Jacoby Brissett right now. Maybe Fields, but there's a reason he's fighting for a job right now. fields is a project, and we already have one of those wearing #4 for us. I'd replace Zappe with Fields, but NWIH I'd commit to starting him right now. If we did bring in Fields that'd be all the MORE reason to have a guy like Brissett around!

If we're committing to bringing in a top QB in the draft, then we don't have space for this whole other young project kid on the same roster. That's why we got rid of Mac. Replacing Mac with Fields is pretty much sideways. Sure, sure, Fields has potential, but so did Mac. Potential only gets you so far if you can't consistently execute.

Either one (fields or Mac) would need playing time to gain consistency, and if we're going QB in the draft, our starting slot is committed. Fields makes even less sense than doing nothing at all from a Patriots standpoint.

Jimmy G was the guy I was thinking of when I said "was good 5 years ago." he's ALMOST as sturdy and injury resistent as Teddy Bridgewater. The man can't stay on the field to save his eternal soul, and he's not THAT good anymore even when he is on the field.

Jimmy G has finished the season healthy twice in a NINE year career. The man is made of papier-mache. Not just pass but HELLA HARD PASS. His legendary unreliability to stay healthy is why Brissett got any starts at all for us. I don't even want this man in the stands in Gillette, much less on the field!

As for Tyrod,he's literally an older version of Brissett with more mileage on his body. Pass.

Last edited:
I am not understanding why so many are down on this signing, and why so many are making this a binary equation.

No matter who your long term starting QB is going to be, the team also needs a backup QB.

If the Patriots draft a QB at #3, they still need a veteran backup QB. (Zappe is not a veteran.)

If the Patriots trade down and draft a second tier QB (McCarthy, Nix, etc.), they still need a veteran QB.

With so many holes to fill on the roster, it didn't make sense to sign an expensive veteran QB with a limited ceiling (Cousins, Mayfield, Jimmy G).

If you want to make a case that the Patriots should have signed a different inexpensive veteran QB like Flacco, fine.

In regards to comparisons to other rookie QBs that did start right away (like Stroud) - hey, if the new rookie proves himself to be ready to go and he starts right away, great! But the team still needed a veteran backup QB even if that does happen. Signing Brissett does not automatically disqualify the rookie QB.
Some on this board have their agendas, their binkies and just like to b!tch and moan.

With Brissett and a rookie the team has enough cap room to bring in another QB. Why not bring in Fields now that his trade value is likely very reasonable?
if you develop fields, you're taking playing time away from the rookie you're desperately counting on developing to become a franchise star. It's working at cross purposes with the thing that has to be your most critical goal

And if you don't develop Fields, why even bother?

The only scenario in which Fields makes any sense at all is if we don't take a QB in the draft. Frankly I think it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that our first pick is a QB so Fields makes no sense at all for us.

self made.

It does not matter that they sat. They had the drive to become better. They did that by working at their craft. Not watching others practice their craft.
But they did learn their craft by watching others…Mahomes, AR, Brees, Brady etc…

It kind of worked out for them. They all had the drive to work hard and become better…and still sat and learned.

Do you think that possibly playing Brissett for a year is somehow going to demotivate and stunt the professional growth of a rookie QB?

If so, I hope we don’t draft that p@ssy.

But they did learn their craft by watching others…Mahomes, AR, Brees, Brady etc…

It kind of worked out for them. They all had the drive to work hard and become better…and still sat and learned.

Do you think that possibly playing Brissett for a year is somehow going to demotivate and stunt the professional growth of a rookie QB?

If so, I hope we don’t draft that p@ssy.
And if that same rookie is so unprofessional that he needs some random jag to show him how it's done? We've drafted a loser.

Remember when Kraft asked BB about the advantages of spygate, he said 1%? That's what you are talking about here, 1%. If anything.

_----------_

This "can be a mentor" storyline has been conflated here, simply because it offers a feel good aspect to the signing. It helps sell the narrative. Brissett is not worse than Mac, but he's not much better. He's here on a one year deal. That should tell you something.

I would rather the team focus on two things the development of a long term backup - Zappe, or someone else. (Who that should be, I do not have an answer for). Spend the time and resources on their development. That should coincide with the development of the rookie quarterback after the draft.

Placeholder signings are just that. It's nothing to be excited about. The amount of negative feedback I've received here over this opinion says to me people do not agree, with some thinking this move brings us back into contention. It doesn't.

We are in a full rebuild. There are going to be lumps taken. The innuendo sent my way, alleging I'd rather this team lose than win could not be further from the truth.

I am trying to think about the long term, sustained success of this team. How is that done? By finding and using players that will advance the cause, long term. We have seen too many teams over the years go the route of bringing in below average talent in order to patch things up. Year in year out, it's up and down, middle of the pack which drags on and on.

The Patriots need to be bold in their moves. They need to make moves that have an upside. Signing Brissett isn't a bold move. It's a surrender to mediocrity.

Would rather flame out than fade away. Fade away is what we've done over the past four years. And people are joyous over this? I just don't get it.

if you develop fields, you're taking playing time away from the rookie you're desperately counting on developing to become a franchise star. It's working at cross purposes with the thing that has to be your most critical goal

And if you don't develop Fields, why even bother?

The only scenario in which Fields makes any sense at all is if we don't take a QB in the draft. Frankly I think it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that our first pick is a QB so Fields makes no sense at all for us.
Playing time needs to be earned, if QB3 is the real deal then he should be able to out compete Fields as easily as Brissett. That said the new guy should not be rushed and will need time to develop. During the bridge period the team needs a competent starter to lead a functional offence in order help develop the other players and avoid the urge to start the new player too soon. Brissett who is a low floor, low ceiling NFL starter becomes the bridge starter. Whether it is Fields or not, there is an opportunity for QB3 to be the better on field option for bridge QB. Worst case someone comes in, does well, plays the whole year and leaves the team, allowing the now ready franchise QB to start. The real worst case is if the team needs to retain the bridge QBs because the new guy doesn't have what it takes. In that case the situation would not be as painful with a bridge QB that can also step in as plan B.

Playing time needs to be earned,
This is such an excuse. you just want Fields beecause he's the shiny thing. if the draft goes the way I think it will, we'll have a shiny thing to develop.

You can't play multiple quarterbacks at the same time so it just makes no sense not to go all in for your first round guy rather than scooping up someone else's discard to waste resources that should be going to your franchise stud.

Fields is only even interesting if we spend our top pick somewhere else.

Brees didn't start his 1st year. Played just one game, really (Flutie injury mid game)

BRoth didn't start right off the bat. He's not a HoFer, anyway, especially with the extracurriculars.

MRyan is not a HoFer - I don't do borderline - Have to deal with a MIL like that. Perfect example though and what we certainly would hope for if the Pats pick a QB at #3. Depends on the maturity of the prospect... The fact that MRyan was in BC for 5 years probably helped with that.

Ben didn't start week 1, but he took over in week 2. Steelers then lost that game, but won the next 14 to finish the regular season (then ran into the buzzsaw that was the 2004 Patriots). I consider that starting "right off the bat", even if it's not technically correct. Agree wholeheartedly on Matt Ryan though. Good player, 100% not a hall of famer.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back