PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Pats sign Jacoby Brissett

Contract details; looks like incentives bring a max value of $12m.

And if that same rookie is so unprofessional that he needs some random jag to show him how it's done? We've drafted a loser.

Remember when Kraft asked BB about the advantages of spygate, he said 1%? That's what you are talking about here, 1%. If anything.

_----------_

This "can be a mentor" storyline has been conflated here, simply because it offers a feel good aspect to the signing. It helps sell the narrative. Brissett is not worse than Mac, but he's not much better. He's here on a one year deal. That should tell you something.

I would rather the team focus on two things the development of a long term backup - Zappe, or someone else. (Who that should be, I do not have an answer for). Spend the time and resources on their development. That should coincide with the development of the rookie quarterback after the draft.

Placeholder signings are just that. It's nothing to be excited about. The amount of negative feedback I've received here over this opinion says to me people do not agree, with some thinking this move brings us back into contention. It doesn't.

We are in a full rebuild. There are going to be lumps taken. The innuendo sent my way, alleging I'd rather this team lose than win could not be further from the truth.

I am trying to think about the long term, sustained success of this team. How is that done? By finding and using players that will advance the cause, long term. We have seen too many teams over the years go the route of bringing in below average talent in order to patch things up. Year in year out, it's up and down, middle of the pack which drags on and on.

The Patriots need to be bold in their moves. They need to make moves that have an upside. Signing Brissett isn't a bold move. It's a surrender to mediocrity.

Would rather flame out than fade away. Fade away is what we've done over the past four years. And people are joyous over this? I just don't get it.
Listen, regardless of what our opinions are (they mean absolutely nothing to the Pats organization), the fact of the matter is Brissett was brought in to serve in a mentorship role to whoever our next franchise QB is. He serves a valuable purpose in that he has a relationship with our new OC and knows his offensive system. To say that this move is somehow a “surrender to mediocrity” is ludicrous and nonsensical.

How much Brissett plays or doesn’t play will depend upon two things: 1)how quickly the rookie QB learns the system and 2)when the Pats brain trust feels confident in turning the keys over to that rookie QB. It’s really not about Brissett TBH, but it’s nice to know that there is veteran QB presence on board who the young guy can confide in and learn the ropes from…and I’m not talking purely about Ws and Ls or Xs and Os, I mean learning what it takes to be a professional and how to become a locker room leader which by all accounts, Brissett displays in abundance.

That’s EXACTLY what this teams needs right now. The rebuild process will take some time; I not expecting a miracle this season, only noticeable improvements.

Oh, and in terms of developing a young back up QB, Zappe will battle it out with Rourke to fill that role. I feel the Pats think they have something in Rourke so I believe he’s the guy but TC will clarify that.

Last edited:
Ben didn't start week 1, but he took over in week 2. Steelers then lost that game, but won the next 14 to finish the regular season (then ran into the buzzsaw that was the 2004 Patriots). I consider that starting "right off the bat", even if it's not technically correct. Agree wholeheartedly on Matt Ryan though. Good player, 100% not a hall of famer.
:) I was wondering whether or not anyone was gonna pick up on that. To me, not starting the first 2 games is not right off the bat, especially mentally with everything leading up to the beginning of the season. There isn't that pressure for a new guy in the 1st game of the season, although it ended up being a baptism by fire since Maddox got injured and BR had to take over in that 2nd game.

That being said, most would probably agree with your take.

Listen, regardless of what our opinions are (they mean absolutely nothing to the Pats organization), the fact of the matter is Brissett was bought in to serve in a mentorship role to whoever our next franchise QB is. He serves a valuable purpose in that he has a relationship with our new OC and knows his offensive system. To say that this move is somehow a “surrender to mediocrity” is ludicrous and nonsensical.

How much Brissett plays or doesn’t play will depend upon two things: 1)how quickly the rookie QB learns the system and 2)when the Pats brain trust feels confident in turning the keys over to that rookie QB. It’s really not about Brissett TBH, but it’s nice to know that there is veteran QB presence on board who the young guy can confide in and learn the ropes from…and I’m not talking purely about Ws and Ls or Xs and Os, I mean learning what it takes to be a professional and how to become a locker room leader which by all accounts, Brissett displays in abundance.

That’s EXACTLY what this teams needs right now. The rebuild process will take some time; I not expecting a miracle this season, only noticeable improvements.

Oh, and in terms of developing a young back up QB, Zappe will battle it out with Rourke to fill that role. I feel the Pats think they have something in Rourke so I believe he’s the guy but TC will clarify that.
An earnest response... Thank you for that... I shall dwell on what you say

An earnest response... Thank you for that... I shall dwell on what you say
We can agree to disagree, nothing wrong with that. As Pats fans we all really want the same thing, that the team improves and becomes a year in, year out contender again.

It’s an exciting time to be a Pats fan!

And if that same rookie is so unprofessional that he needs some random jag to show him how it's done? We've drafted a loser.

Remember when Kraft asked BB about the advantages of spygate, he said 1%? That's what you are talking about here, 1%. If anything.

_----------_

This "can be a mentor" storyline has been conflated here, simply because it offers a feel good aspect to the signing. It helps sell the narrative. Brissett is not worse than Mac, but he's not much better. He's here on a one year deal. That should tell you something.

I would rather the team focus on two things the development of a long term backup - Zappe, or someone else. (Who that should be, I do not have an answer for). Spend the time and resources on their development. That should coincide with the development of the rookie quarterback after the draft.

Placeholder signings are just that. It's nothing to be excited about. The amount of negative feedback I've received here over this opinion says to me people do not agree, with some thinking this move brings us back into contention. It doesn't.

We are in a full rebuild. There are going to be lumps taken. The innuendo sent my way, alleging I'd rather this team lose than win could not be further from the truth.

I am trying to think about the long term, sustained success of this team. How is that done? By finding and using players that will advance the cause, long term. We have seen too many teams over the years go the route of bringing in below average talent in order to patch things up. Year in year out, it's up and down, middle of the pack which drags on and on.

The Patriots need to be bold in their moves. They need to make moves that have an upside. Signing Brissett isn't a bold move. It's a surrender to mediocrity.

Would rather flame out than fade away. Fade away is what we've done over the past four years. And people are joyous over this? I just don't get it.
Ultimately we are saying the same thing. The only difference is whether Zappe, Fields, or someone else fills the role. Personally, I don't want Zappe because he is not very good and he doesn't seem like a good locker room guy.

This is such an excuse. you just want Fields beecause he's the shiny thing. if the draft goes the way I think it will, we'll have a shiny thing to develop.

You can't play multiple quarterbacks at the same time so it just makes no sense not to go all in for your first round guy rather than scooping up someone else's discard to waste resources that should be going to your franchise stud.

Fields is only even interesting if we spend our top pick somewhere else.
LOL, thank you for helping me understand my thought process. FWIW, bringing in a QB3 with potential upside does not mean that the team is not all in on the high pick. I agree that the team should not invest too much in QB3, I mentioned Fields because he could be a bargain. If not, look for someone else.

I am really interested in how Rourke performs in camp. Seems as though he is a fast runner and has a decent arm. I haven't been able to find any real tape of him to watch. Not saying he is the guy, i'm just intrigued

Sam Darnold is getting more guaranteed money than Brissett.

If pats could still sign Jimmy G for a cheap 1 year deal, should they do it. Cut/trade Zappe
Jacoby and Jimmy can battle it out for 1 and 2 and the draft pick can worry about learning/progressing. 5 mil or less for 1 year
I think it's worth it the rook would have 2 vets to learn from. Side note jacoby will be a good mentor for j. Daniels if he's the pick. Jaydens weak spot is avoiding the middle of the field
And that's one of jacobys strengths, targeting the middle of the field and his tight ends

If pats could still sign Jimmy G for a cheap 1 year deal, should they do it. Cut/trade Zappe
Jacoby and Jimmy can battle it out for 1 and 2 and the draft pick can worry about learning/progressing. 5 mil or less for 1 year
I think it's worth it the rook would have 2 vets to learn from. Side note jacoby will be a good mentor for j. Daniels if he's the pick. Jaydens weak spot is avoiding the middle of the field
And that's one of jacobys strengths, targeting the middle of the field and his tight ends
You would still need a healthy QB to play when both are injured for the year after 4 weeks. Nathan Rourke or go to the rookie or too early?

Hmmm...

Yeah! Brissett and Garoppolo, together again!
You would still need a healthy QB to play when both are injured for the year after 4 weeks. Nathan Rourke or go to the rookie or too early?
Go full bore 2016 and bring TB12 back too! After four weeks. History repeats?

I am really interested in how Rourke performs in camp. Seems as though he is a fast runner and has a decent arm. I haven't been able to find any real tape of him to watch. Not saying he is the guy, i'm just intrigued
IF Rourke can't beat out Biscuit he has no business in the NFL that does have some intrigue or disappointment.

I have some bad news for you: It's not 2017 anymore.

Shocking, I know.

This version of Jimmy is washed up, can't stay healthy, isn't effective when he's on the field. He's done. Not worth a dime and that's before the PED suspension.

Does the Brisset signing signal a style change? One that matches up with a college QB theyd prefer to draft?
Brissett signals, nice bridge/mentor. A QB who won't give the game away and run AVPs offense.

IF Rourke can't beat out Biscuit he has no business in the NFL that does have some intrigue or disappointment.
Mickey Rourke you mean?

Rourke isn't competing with Brissett. Very few players on this team have a more secure job than Jacoby Brisket right now. Right now Brissett is the starter, when we draft a young QB, he'll be the training wheels guy. He's necessary, and by all accounts is actually good at this.

If Rourke is going to be on this team it's because he beat out Bailey Zappe. We're definitely carrying 3 QBs this year because we kind of have to. But I don't think it's unfair to say that Zappe has the inside lane in that fight, after all he has won a few games for us.

Rourke isn't competing with Brissett. Very few players on this team have a more secure job than Jacoby Brisket right now. Right now Brissett is the starter, when we draft a young QB, he'll be the training wheels guy. He's necessary, and by all accounts is actually good at this.

If Rourke is going to be on this team it's because he beat out Bailey Zappe. We're definitely carrying 3 QBs this year because we kind of have to. But I don't think it's unfair to say that Zappe has the inside lane in that fight, after all he has won a few games for us.
Eyeroll Ugh GIF

If Trent dilfer can win a Super Bowl Jacoby can too. And this defense has greatness capabilities

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back