PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Sign DL Andre Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks unlikely to me that Haynesworth contributes much this year. I think Ellis and Carter and Anderson are in better shape and more likely to contribute.

It looks unlikely to me that Haynesworth contributes much this year. I think Ellis and Carter and Anderson are in better shape and more likely to contribute.

It's been a week!!!! Can everybody just chill? Some of our posters are suffering from the condensed off-season as much as the players.

All indications are that when Haynesworth as been on the field he has been rag-dolling the OL.

As for the Jets and Odom, the guy has played 10 games the past 2 years combined.

As for the Jets and Osi.... I love Osi and wanted the Pats to make the move, mainly because we had so much depth already and so many extra picks, that I thought we could go for the home run. The Jets have neither. Let those clowns give up a 1st, be my guest.

Top 4 rounds? Not nearly. Tyrone Mckenzie, Dexter Reid, Guss Scott, Cedric Cobbs, Garett Mills, Kareem Brown?

Edit: And Ohrnberger, though he was re-signed.

Umm.. Ty McKenzie was cut at his request. Not by BB.. And not during TC.
Guss Scott played 2 seasons with the Pats.. Since he was on 1 year deals, I thought the Pats chose to not renew his contract after he was injured the 2nd time around?

Kareem Brown wasn't cut during camp. He was cut mid-season. And it was due to needing a roster spot for a DB since we had so many injured at the time.

Mills was cut at the end of camp in an attempt to get him on the practice squad. Same with Cobbs. But, they were "cut"

I should have said 3rd round..

As for Ohrnberger, I don't count him because he was among the last cuts and was re-signed by the team. I don't consider that a cut. I consider it a stupid formality and one that should have been eliminated in the new CBA, IMHO..

And Ellis, Carter, and Anderson are?:confused:

Ellis has a lot of knowledge in the 3-4 as a DE. He's also been a 4-3 DE.

Carter is someone who has played in both, but had more success in the 4-3. But he didn't have Pepper Johnson as his DL coach either. :D

Anderson hasn't played in the 3-4, so he's a question.

Umm.. Ty McKenzie was cut at his request. Not by BB.. And not during TC.
Guss Scott played 2 seasons with the Pats.. Since he was on 1 year deals, I thought the Pats chose to not renew his contract after he was injured the 2nd time around?

Kareem Brown wasn't cut during camp. He was cut mid-season. And it was due to needing a roster spot for a DB since we had so many injured at the time.

Mills was cut at the end of camp in an attempt to get him on the practice squad. Same with Cobbs. But, they were "cut"

I should have said 3rd round..

As for Ohrnberger, I don't count him because he was among the last cuts and was re-signed by the team. I don't consider that a cut. I consider it a stupid formality and one that should have been eliminated in the new CBA, IMHO..

You had just said "picks from the top 4 rounds who have been cut with less than 3 seasons under their belts," nothing about them being cut during training camp, speculation about whether they would have been kept if there were a 54-man roster etc. So that's what I listed. :confused2: No biggie.

I'm more interested that you consider the cut of Ohrnberger just a "stupid formality." He did have to clear waivers, after all, and not every Patriots cut does. In fact, for all we know if Ted Larsen had cleared waivers, he and not Ohrnberger might have been invited back to the roster.

What change would you make to the CBA that would have kept Ohrnberger from the waiver wire?

You had just said "picks from the top 4 rounds who have been cut with less than 3 seasons under their belts," nothing about them being cut during training camp, speculation about whether they would have been kept if there were a 54-man roster etc. So that's what I listed. :confused2: No biggie.

I'm more interested that you consider the cut of Ohrnberger just a "stupid formality." He did have to clear waivers, after all, and not every Patriots cut does. In fact, for all we know if Ted Larsen had cleared waivers, he and not Ohrnberger might have been invited back to the roster.

What change would you make to the CBA that would have kept Ohrnberger from the waiver wire?

In all honesty? I would make it so players being put on the practice squad wouldn't have to clear waivers. They be assigned there by the team. Doesn't mean other teams can't pilfer. They can, but the same rules would apply that you'd have to keep the player on the active roster for 3 weeks.

In all honesty? I would make it so players being put on the practice squad wouldn't have to clear waivers. They be assigned there by the team. Doesn't mean other teams can't pilfer. They can, but the same rules would apply that you'd have to keep the player on the active roster for 3 weeks.

Ah, ok! I could see that, providing that any player you choose to designate directly to the practice squad would keep his existing contract as he would if claimed off waivers.

Hmm...let's work on that shopping analogy. I wouldn't call it a Walmart, where the prices are cheap and you get exactly what you pay for. It's more like buying a mixed lot at an antiques auction. You know some of it will be junk, but it only takes 1 or 2 pieces polishing up to silver or gold to make the whole thing a heck of a bargain.

And this year, more than any other, is an opportunity to buy in bulk.

Ok....I'll bite......We're the "Sanford and Sons" version of the Philadelphia Eagles.

43 or 34 is almost inconsequential to me, although I believe our personell is better suited to the 34. In either base, we will be using the same personell, and putting one player either up or down, with differing alignment, but the same basic scheme.
What I totally disagree with is the now popular idea that (and many are saying its because Haynesworth wants to play it) we are going to be a 1gap defense after BB has spent his entire career committed to a 2gap philosophy and having a ridiculous amount of success with it.
If you told me Rob Ryan was going to abandon the Ryan family philosophy becasue he has pretty much never been successful as a coordinator with it, I'd say that might be a smart move. If you told me Jon Gruden (who had nothing to do with the defense) took over a team, and hired a DC to totally change the scheme, then it would make sense to me. If you told me the Lions or Bengals scrapped every scheme and started over, I would understand why. But to tell me one of the greatest HC of all time, and one of the most successful defensive minds ever, after 35 years in the NFL decided to change his most basic belief about defense, you gotta give me more than what the players like. A lot more.

Your post is right on the money. What's happening in Foxboro right now is exhilarating. BB has recognized that the talent pool for 34 base defenses is now stretched too thin and thus is too expensive. He has been able to sign this slew of potential defensive help because none of all the 34 teams out there wanted them. We as a fan base are unbelievably fortunate to have this total football junkie as our head coach. As you know, BB is a football historian and has studied the great minds of the game. The next, great 43 defense in the game today is being hatched in Foxboro this summer. It's gonna be great ride!

How do you come to this conclusion? The amount invested in him indicates they are looking for production this year.

I love this signing.

Underrated pass rusher. I haven't seen many pass rushers that use their hands better than this guy. I'm glad Bill has finally started to aggressively stockpile defensive lineman. Love it.

I wish this guy was practicing instead of stuffing his face in Hell's Kitchen all night.

I wish this guy was practicing instead of stuffing his face in Hell's Kitchen all night.

That show was probably taped during the lockout.

Really? He practiced yesterday, dude. I can deal with negativity, but misinformed negativity makes you sound ridiculous.

I was surprised to see that Reiss already had him as one of the locks making the roster:

Locks: Albert Haynesworth, Vince Wilfork, Mike Wright, Andre Carter, Jermaine Cunningham, Shaun Ellis

Middle ground: Kyle Love, Myron Pryor, Gerard Warren, Kade Weston, Mark Anderson, Eric Moore

Long shots: Markell Carter, Landon Cohen, Darryl Richard, Steve Williams, Aaron Lavarias, Clay Nurse, Alex Silvestro

PUP: Ron Brace, Brandon Deaderick

New England Patriots Mailbag -- Bill Belichick using camp as his petri dish - ESPN Boston

Have no idea who He/She is :p

Our resident clown provocateur, of the non-troll variety. Others may have more colorful terms for him. :)

Keegs, it's still painful to see your name without the radiant visage of LeKevin Smith below it.

To be honest,Carter has just kind of flown under the radar for me all these years. Maybe it was because I haven't followed the cellar dweller 49ers for many years, as well as Washington and the fiasco that has been going on there since Snyder took over.

I'm really hoping for good things out of him though. He appears to have some really good career numbers with a professional approach to his game. Hopefully he has a rejuvenated season and will always be a threat to kill the QB everytime he come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents