PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats reported as interested in Jets DE Marques Douglas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Marques Douglas

Two different positions. Douglas is a DE in a 3-4 and Ellis is an OLB.

As for Douglas, he would be a good rotational guy. Would be a bit concerned if he was a starter though. Rotate him with Mike Wright or someone they drafted, then I could see it as a good move.

This is what I'm thinking. Sign him, and let him split time with Wright if we don't land someone we like in the draft. If we do draft a DE, this allows us to bring him along at his own pace, rather than counting on him to start, and Wright will still get time in a variety of positions and sub packages.

I would rather have Greg Ellis, although, I dont know much on Douglas.
Douglass is a 34DE
Ellis a 43DE/34OLB

I'd sign Dewayne White, DE, Lions as a rotational DE.

Isnt that the smallish former Tampa 4-3 DE? Where would we play him?

I don't see Jarvis as a huge loss, as Mike Wright really already has filled his role.

However, I don't see Marques Douglas as a solution, either. If they bring him in as a rotational guy, fine, but really what the team needs is a replacement for Richard Seymour. They aren't going to find that in FA, so they probably have to look to fill it pretty high in the draft. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they go DL in the first round.

Douglass would be a nice pickup, a jag DE with 2 gap experience. We have room for one of those.

I don't see Jarvis as a huge loss, as Mike Wright really already has filled his role.

However, I don't see Marques Douglas as a solution, either. If they bring him in as a rotational guy, fine, but really what the team needs is a replacement for Richard Seymour. They aren't going to find that in FA, so they probably have to look to fill it pretty high in the draft. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they go DL in the first round.

I disagree. We dont NEED to have 3 top flight DLineman. That is a luxury. The 'replacement' for Seymour is whoever is in the cap slot near the top he occupied, regardless of their position.
Until we use the top 5 pick he brought next year, that replacement may simply be 5-6 upgraded positions that the Seymour cost was spread over.

I disagree. We dont NEED to have 3 top flight DLineman. That is a luxury. The 'replacement' for Seymour is whoever is in the cap slot near the top he occupied, regardless of their position.
Until we use the top 5 pick he brought next year, that replacement may simply be 5-6 upgraded positions that the Seymour cost was spread over.

while we don't need a replacement for seymour, douglas is a poor man's jarvis green.........if green didn't work out, neither will douglas.........need someone quite a bit bigger

If Douglas is good at stuffing the run, I don't see why we wouldn't bring him in for a look. God knows that side of the defensive line got gashed enough last season.

If Douglas is good at stuffing the run, I don't see why we wouldn't bring him in for a look. God knows that side of the defensive line got gashed enough last season.

he's 33 in a week.....if he wants to come in for 1 year on short dollars, why not?

Can't sign everyone. That's what the draft is for.

Needs in Draft:

above 6' WR
OLB/DE pass rusher
DT brawler
TE (eg: Dallas Clark)
Punter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back