PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats release Leigh Bodden

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if BB is making room for a Welker extension?

Honestly you guys go crazy about all these players getting cut and the only one who has mildly done anything to where we would potentially still want him on our roster is Jonathan Wilhite.

I'm glad I'm not a star player on your football team. I'd be awfully pissed at you for keeping CBs with dinged up thumbs (a position where hands are your #1 asset) over healthy CBs.

I'd be awfully pissed too, if my front office would release a player with a banged up thump (not even broken) and replace him with a far less talented player that didn't see the field consistently neither for the Pats, nor for other teams in the NFL.

So basically you're implying a banged up thumb cancels out the difference in talent between Bodden & Adams/Molden?

Well that explains why you're on a forum for the Patriots and not the coaching staff for the Patriots.
Who are You New Meat?

Honestly you guys go crazy about all these players getting cut and the only one who has mildly done anything to where we would potentially still want him on our roster is Jonathan Wilhite.

Honestly, you don't know what the hell you're talking about. For the most part, the issue people have is not the guy getting cut. The issue, for the most part, is a combination of resources wasted (money, draft picks) and the quality of the replacements.

I wonder if BB is making room for a Welker extension?

How does this move NOW do that? If nobody else signs Bodden we still get this season's cap hit. I think the Pats can extend Welker w/o cutting Bodden. I DO think it's a perverse kinda value decision if BB thinks Molden is playing about as well.

Not good news on the Dowling-replacing-Bodden front:

@MikeReiss Mike Reiss
CB Ras-I Dowling (hip) and LB Dane Fletcher (thumb) not spotted at the start of today's practice, Mike Rodak reports.

Not good news on the Dowling-replacing-Bodden front:

@MikeReiss Mike Reiss
CB Ras-I Dowling (hip) and LB Dane Fletcher (thumb) not spotted at the start of today's practice, Mike Rodak reports.

I prefer to think of my man Glass IR Dowling as half full. Back to play the Jets.

Per SMY, Dowling and Fletcher missing from practice.

Total speculation on my part, but I'm guessing we see Molden take Bodden's place on Sunday against Pittsburgh and then Dowling (hopefully) takes over next week.

I'm guessing this would also show this move is all about Bodden - whether it be his play, injury, not accepting a reduced role, or whatever.

I'd love to see Ras-I get into some games and show his stuff. Was a big fan of the pick, especially since a lot of people projected him to be a late first. Hope that hip starts feeling better quickly.

I prefer to think of my man Glass IR Dowling as half full. Back to play the Jets.

From what we're seeing so far, he may have to be half full of painkillers to ever get on the field.

Dowling out of practice again. This is wonderful.
broken_glass.jpg
:mad:

Last edited:
looks like the pats are makeing room for the guys on pup

Broke the offensive record in 07. Gotta beat those pesky 81 Colts on D this year.

The disconnect came with Bodden’s role this year. CB Devin McCourty is an outside corner, and it seems either rookie Ras-I Dowling or Kyle Arrington would fill the other spot outside. The team made this move, I’m told, in part because they believed Dowling would be healthy enough to play. And Arrington has been a revelation, making four interceptions.

Bodden didn’t totally embrace the move to the “star” — or slot corner — position, and his lukewarm response was telling. He did it, he didn’t cause trouble, but it was clear he didn’t embrace it. And when that happened, when it was clear Bodden wasn’t thrilled with what he was asked to do, coach Bill Belichick doesn’t embrace when guys don’t embrace what they do. So, if Bodden was going to sit on the bench and not play in the slot, that’s a bad locker room move.

You can’t have a veteran, making a ton of money, sitting on the bench. It runs the risk he’ll complain and be a divisive force. So, Bodden was released to go to a team who may use him differently.

And now, the Patriots move on.

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet» Blog Archive » Explaining why the Patriots released veteran CB Leigh Bodden…

For what it is worth, I hear his locker is intact. He is banged up right now and could come back if he clears waiver probably.

Well at least they have Dowling. Oh that's right he can't even get on the PRACTICE field.

I don't care what happens when someone who was a moderately decent player for us goes somewhere else. Some players don't understand or fit some systems, plain as that.

What I do care about is that our 2nd best safety, coming into this season (IMO) was James Sanders and he's gone. Our 3rd best corner is now gone as well.

Obviously the team has a plan and they know football better than I do, but sometimes even the best of minds make mistakes.

Like every 2nd round when we draft a WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back