PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats release Leigh Bodden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per Mike Reiss:

"Practice squad CB Josh Victorian, who was released earlier this week, is back in the locker room."

I feel so much better about the CB position now.

/sarcasm

Thus, ushering us into The Victorian Era.

Is Ihedigbo now the most experienced NFL db on the roster?

FWIW, here were the defensive secondary snaps from the Cowboys game:

CB Devin McCourty – 74 of 74
S Patrick Chung – 73 of 74
S James Ihedigbo – 73 of 74
CB Kyle Arrington – 69 of 74
CB Leigh Bodden – 38 of 74
CB Antwaun Molden – 6 of 74
S Rob Gronkowski – 1 of 74
S Ross Ventrone – 1 of 74

With Gronk + Ventrone at S do they average out 6 feet tall or shorter?

His number was up in a year or two when we drafted Ras and we had Kyle at nickel CB.

Maybe Bill cut him to send a message to the team like that preseason news report said :rolleyes:

It all makes sense now.

Since Haynesworth is getting back to full health and we have 2x DLs coming off the PUP, it can mean only one thing...

...Vince Wilfork to play nickel corner and the birth of Wilfork Island

Last edited:
SO what's the over/under on DBs being picked with the first four picks next year? I'm going 3.

Last edited:
With all the guys potentially coming off PUP and cuts from the bottom of the 53 maybe BB wanted and needed a DB who does double duty plays STs. If Bodden wasn't showing more than some unknown to us DB who BB perceives as being just as good in slot coverage with possibly higher upside, he may have made the move. That and possibly too much locker room *****ing about not starting at corner.

The pats were extremely impresses with the improvement of Arrington. They basically told him at the end of last year what he needs to do over the summer to get better and he went out and did it. At the same time they must have been disappointed in Bodden. I guess they had to find some way to get brace or or cannon or Faulk on the roster. It makes sense from this perspective.

Please tell me where I cited Terrell Owens and Mike Vick? Thank you for putting words in my mouth.

Congrats, you have tenure on a Football forum but you're just like those Teachers who have taught for 25 years and are worse than the young pup right out of college.

No one who has spent ten minutes studying anything about Bill Belichick would ever write "Belichick falls in love with talent".

Good luck to your Steelers this weekend.

Greg Bedard said that his sources are saying Bodden was cut because of performance issues. They felt his roster spot was too valuable for other players.

Too bad. He just never rebounded from his injury. Might have needed more time to rebound, but obviously the Pats didn't want to wait.

Apologizes if this has already been posted.

Pats cut Leigh Bodden | ProFootballTalk

A league source with knowledge of the situation advises PFT that the Patriots have released Bodden, an eight-year veteran.
Bodden was in the second season of a four-year, $22 million contract. Per the source, the player and the team decided that the relationship wasn’t working out as planned, and that it was time to move on. He appeared in five games with one start this season.
Bodden has a base salary of $3.9 million in 2011. Since the trade deadline has passed, he’ll be subject to waivers. If claimed, his new team would absorb the balance, which is $2.064 million. (He’ll be paid by the Patriots for Week Eight, even though he has been cut.) If he’s not claimed, Bodden will be entitled to receive the balance of his salary via the termination pay provision of the CBA.

It Is What It Is » In Focus: A closer look at the Patriots decision to cut Leigh Bodden
The Leigh Bodden era in New England started strong, but ultimately fizzled as the cornerback struggled to reclaim the form that made him one of the league’s most sought-after defensive backs in free agency 20 months ago.

NFL.com news: Report: Decision to part ways mutual between Pats, Bodden
"I would like to first confirm that Leigh Bodden has been released by the New England Patriots," Keels said. "He's enjoyed this time in New England, but after meeting with coach (Bill) Belichick this morning both parties agreed it was time to move on. Leigh still has a strong desire to play football and welcomes his next opportunity to compete for a Super Bowl. Leigh is totally healthy and can contribute right away."

Twitter - Ian Rapoport
From the sounds of it, this Bodden release is kind of mutual. He never embraced the a lot, team didn't embrace that he didn't embrace it

Greg Bedard said that his sources are saying Bodden was cut because of performance issues. They felt his roster spot was too valuable for other players.

Too bad. He just never rebounded from his injury. Might have needed more time to rebound, but obviously the Pats didn't want to wait.

If that was the case and since Ras-I hasn't fully recovered yet, then why didn't those other CBs have more playing time recently? Not saying Bedard is wrong, its just strange how this has all happened.

No one who has spent ten minutes studying anything about Bill Belichick would ever write "Belichick falls in love with talent".

Good luck to your Steelers this weekend.

I said "talent" not "darlings."

No worries.....

We just need to sack the QB about 8 times per game on average and the secondary is no longer an issue to worry about.

PipeDream.jpg

SO what's the over/under on DBs being picked with the first four picks next year? I'm going 3.

... and another year of Pats fans going ballistic as they pass on DE and OLB in the first two rounds yet again, as that other early pick will be traded for a 2013 first rounder.

... and another year of Pats fans going ballistic, and rightfully so, as they pass on DE and OLB in the first two rounds yet again, as that other early pick will be traded for a 2013 first rounder.

Fixed.....

FWIW, here were the defensive secondary snaps from the Cowboys game:

S Rob Gronkowski – 1 of 74

He'll draw the other team's big receiver going forward.

If only Duane Starks and Earthwind Moreland were still in shape :( .... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey