PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATs pass D vs Dolphins Passing attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
JR, you are trying desperately to develop an iota of credibility into your specious argument. The Dolphins have simply become the Jets of this off season. A few big name gains to go along with their big name losses do not a great off season make.

I am more impressed by the Martin signing and the number of draft picks they have than anything else they've done this off season. They will add a lot of names, but have yet to prove that can mold those names into a team that can threaten the Pats at this stage, over the long haul of a season.

I think you can't dismiss what the the Dolphins have done, but if you don't think the Pats are better right now than they were at this time last season, then you clearly don't get it. Then you are either the worst hater of all, the self hating Pats fan, or simply a troll maskarading as a Pats fan.....and if you are, you aren't a very good one.

I think it is silly to discount the Dolphins or any team in the AFC East. The Phins have done a lot to improve their offense, and the QB is heading into his second year.

They could give the Patriots real problems.

It's all theoretical. We've all seen teams try to add too much too fast and fail. I don't think it's a good idea to completely revamp your offense in one year, which is what the Dolphins have done. Nor do I necessarily think they've improved.

They lost Jake Long, who was widely regarded as one of the best LTs in the NFL, despite his recent injuries.

They lost Reggie Bush, who had emerged as a good playmaker. He's not Ray Rice, but he's certainly a B/B+ type of player.

So, rather than just drool over the shiny new acquisitions, let's start out with the undisputed fact that the Dolphins lost their two BEST offensive players.

Now, moving on... they signed three players, none of whom are considered to be in the top-5 at their position.

Mike Wallace cooled on the FA market after his 2012 season in which he had 836 yards (less than Lloyd.) Sorry, but real elite WRs don't have seasons like that.

Brandon Gibson has never had 700 yards receiving in a season. He is a classic dime-a-dozen WR who will always be a 2/3.

Dustin Keller should light up the stat sheet since he is undersized and can't block. He's in the mold of Aaron Hernandez or Jermichael Finley as a strong WR who lines up at TE, yet Keller has always been merely a "good player" and nothing special.

So, I believe the Dolphins lost their two best offensive players at LT and RB, and they've now upgraded their WR corps to average at best. They have a QB just as capable of collapse as he is improvement. Remember, while QBs sometimes improve in year 2, defenses also begin to get more film. No guarantee Tannehill will get better, and based on his mobility and decision making, my money is on him getting worse.

Just because a team makes a splash in free agency doesn't mean they've improved.

I'd be surprised if the Dolphins won 9 games.

People get way too caught up in the ESPN driven hype.

Wallace hasn't been good for two years now.

The Dolphins OL is still a train wreck.

They still have mediocrity at RB.

They still can't cover TEs.

Asomugha just got 1 year, $3 million from the Niners. Would like the Pats' pass D a lot more if they'd beaten that offer by $500K or so.

I will just say that the entire steeler offense was pathetic last year and the rapist played like trash...

As for the comment about elite receivers. I suppose larry fitzgerald sucks, based on his 2012 stats.

Asomugha just got 1 year, $3 million from the Niners. Would like the Pats' pass D a lot more if they'd beaten that offer by $500K or so.
Not that easy. $500k wouldn't be enough to keep Asomugha from going back to where he spent 1999-2010 playing at Cal and then for the Raiders.

Considering the cap space they had i think it was a pretty good move to give that young QB(way overrated last season though) some help. I don't think they are close to competing for the division but those guys are all young and can play imo.

Unlikley he'd be worth the money. Rather have a DE that can bring pressure.

It will be interesting to see how Tannehill improves this year.......he doesn't have an RB to throw to, and he's got no TE that blocks, and replacing Long with Nate Garner doesn't sound all that promising, either.....but he does have a bunch of WR's.......

it seems this team will have it's moments, but I think it will crash and burn with the best of them.....would not be suprised if they wind up finishing last

This is an interesting question given that both teams have upgraded in the groups in question.

For the Dolphins, Wallace is a huge upgrade in the vertical game, but I think the Pats have what it takes to handle him with Dennard or Talib in press coverage - both are strong enough and turn well enough to stick with him. Over the top, the Pats will be much better in help with McCourty starting out as a full-time free safety and Adrian Wilson at Strong Safety. Whatever combination of those guys has Wallace, depending on where he lines up, won't completely stop him, but can do way better at controlling him than last year.

Dustin Keller at TE is a downgrade, if you ask me and the only reason he had success in NY was because he was the only guy Sanchez could reach with the ball. Not a big deal.

The other new guy, Brandon Gibson, is a decent wideout but not so big that he will dominate Dennard or Talib at the line, nor will he out-run anybody. He's a nice complement to Wallace.

Brian Hartline stayed put, and he was the guy I thought the Pats should try to sign - he's an excellent route runner and has good hands.

This is a better receiving corps than the Pats have, but the Pats's secondary matches up very well. There are no Megatrons and Tannehill has yet to prove he can dominate a team like the Patriots. He didn't last year, and he doesn't have a line to keep pressure off him - yet.

The team with a 2012 crappy offensive line that upgraded and made them scary was the Colts. If the Dolphins had focused there, they might be more competitive.

So. maybe the fins will win 9 games, maybe they won't. They are indeed likely to be the favorites for coming in 2nd in the division. They are far, far, far from being as good as the patriots.

Prediction: if PATS pass D is not significantly improved they
will not win the division and they may not even make the playoffs.

You know how bad the D was the last 2 years? And where did we end up? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft