PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats hire Dom Capers as DB coach, fire Joel Collier, move Caserio and O'Brien

Status
Not open for further replies.
does this mean a new coverage scheme? We did cover 3 last few years..i hate it. Interesting to see what happens. And for those questioning whats going with Peas..hes not going anywhere. He did well last 2 seasons, we just didnt execute in some games..the plan was there.

This is just another intentional tampering with
the league's competitive balance
... part of Belichick's flagrant assault on parity,
against which he already has been warned.

What's it gonna take ...
loss of the entire 2009 draft and
being fined the gross receipts from the luxury boxes?

does this mean a new coverage scheme? We did cover 3 last few years..i hate it. Interesting to see what happens. And for those questioning whats going with Peas..hes not going anywhere. He did well last 2 seasons, we just didnt execute in some games..the plan was there.

Cover 3 has worked fine. I like the notion of adding in some more aggression and tossing in an extra blitz or two per game, but I don't want to see Blitzburg North.

Cover 3 has worked fine. I like the notion of adding in some more aggression and tossing in an extra blitz or two per game, but I don't want to see Blitzburg North.

cover 3 kills me..if they dont get a great jump, you allow that 5-12 yard completion

its pick or completion but dont get beat deep. pretty simple but i see too many holes in coverage and too many easy completions because were playing so far off.

use the talent of our CBs. Let us play more man or even cover 2 out of the 3-4

Not sure if it has been said but it has been implied......

This is the first piece to fall on what most certainly will be a very defensive offseason :rocker:

I absolutely love this move. Our defense needs some change. Yes, Capers will be working within the system, but I believe that he can bring some new ideas to our scheme. :rocker:

cover 3 kills me..if they dont get a great jump, you allow that 5-12 yard completion

its pick or completion but dont get beat deep. pretty simple but i see too many holes in coverage and too many easy completions because were playing so far off.

use the talent of our CBs. Let us play more man or even cover 2 out of the 3-4

16-0
12-4

That's a 28-4 record over the past 2 seasons. The defense was 4th in points allowed this season and 2nd in points allowed last season. Cover 3 has been fine. You need to stop demanding perfection, because it's never going to happen. People here have really been spoiled into thinking that every completion is a disaster, when it's not. The other team has players getting paid millions of dollars too. They will make some plays now and then.

I'd like the see Hobbs get more man to man coverage since he seems to be better at it than zone, but Samuel has definitely benefitted from the Pats almost exclusively using zone coverage the last few years since his man skills aren't the greatest. If we get Samuel to come back, it will definitely hurt our investment if we move away from a zone coverage all together.

Re: Pats hire Dom Capers

Personally, I'd rather see Capers than Pees as DC, but I love this move either way.

Question to thoses out there in the know. What scheme did the Pats use in '03-04 cover two cover three what was it. because what ever it was (i think it was cover two) maybe we need dto get back to it.

btw dolphins secondary ranked very well overall(our pass defense should i say) so im sure Capers will get the job done

Question to thoses out there in the know. What scheme did the Pats use in '03-04 cover two cover three what was it. because what ever it was (i think it was cover two) maybe we need dto get back to it.

In 2004, the Patriots still had Law in the secondary. The team allowed 260 points.

In 2006, the Patriots had Samuel and an injured (hand) Hobbs. The team allowed 237 points.

In 2007, the Patriots had Samuel and Hobbs again, with Harrison missing 4 games due to suspension. The team allowed 274 points.

Now, why does the team need to go back to 2004?

Last edited:
Why was Capers fired in Miami? (not throwing stones here because I don't know all that much about him except that I thought he was good in his time in Carolina....

Capers was removed because Parcells fired just about everyone from the Cam Cameron coaching staff.

In 2004, the Patriots still had Law in the secondary. The team allowed 260 points.

In 2006, the Patriots had Samuel and an injured (hand) Hobbs. The team allowed 237 points.

In 2007, the Patriots had Samuel and Hobbs again, with Harrison missing 4 games due to suspension. The team allowed 274 points.

Now, why does the team need to go back to 2004?
I am more curious in know what scheme we played. I.E because we had law and Smith,Samuels etc. did that allow us to play a certain scheme because of the personel.

As far as scoring points the stats for those years are similar but in the end we lost. But thats just an after thought to the first question what scheme did we use in '03-'04,I'm just curious.

Last edited:
Does Dom Capers hiring mean Belichik is in trouble

Does anyone else wonder, especially considering that both our coordinators have NO head coaching experience, if this means the Patriots are concerned that Belichik may get a major suspension.

Re: Does Dom Capers hiring mean Belichik is in trouble

no...i don't

It's a worthwhile question and an angle I didn't look at it from. I really just think it's that they wanted a guy who can coach up the secondary, as it's clear that the last guy wasn't up to snuff.

Maybe this means Dean P's job is in danger

that thought never crossed my mind when I learned of the Capers hiring.

I mean it is not uncommon for teams to hire guys with head coaching experience and give them the label "special assistant" i.e Gregg Williams in Washington. Still it makes me wonder. I hope and pray Im wrong and that that douche caddy fades into infamy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents