PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats draft Darren McFadden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colvin WILL renegotiate, because he will get more from a renegotiated deal from us than he will on the open market. His production has not justified his contract.
How do you know for certain whether Colvin will accept the annual Willie McGinest pay cut? As for the open market, the Dolphins were stupid enough to shell out the big bucks for Joey Porter.

How do you know for certain whether Colvin will accept the annual Willie McGinest pay cut? As for the open market, the Dolphins were stupid enough to shell out the big bucks for Joey Porter.

see post 120

That's complete BS. Stallworth will not cost much to sign, Samuel's cap # will be smaller than his Franchise # and we can spread out a Moss signing bonus over the term of the contract. With the cap projected to increase to $117 million, you don't have to be a mathematical genius to understand we can sign all of these guys.

i dont know what else to say...i just disagree

Hell will freeze over and pigs will fly because it's gone up every year for the last 10 years. Please be real.
What if the salary cap only goes up by the $6.6 million that Miguel estimates?

So if Vrabel, Bruschi, Seau all retire and the Patriots cut Rosevelt Colvin essentially the Patriots will only have one proven linebacker on next year's team. FANTASTIC! Meanwhile everyone wants to draft McFadden when the aforementioned scenario could possibly occur.

Why are you making it seem like the Patriots will only have 1 draft pick the entire draft? The best place to get defensive talent to maximise efficiency and value is in the deeper rounds.

Defensive players in the deeper rounds can be trained to fill the necessary gaps very efficiently. This has been the case with the Patriots since 2001 i.e. Hobbes, Asante, Jarvis Green, Wilson, Matt Light, Nick Kazur, Gay (deep round player FA) to name a few. Some will even progress to be superstars like Asante and Light have become. Oh and FYI, did we not use Troy Brown as a DB for a few seasons ago ? He did a very good job filling defensive voids.

On the other hand.... offensive key positions CAN NOT be maximised as efficiently as say a defensive player could. Yes some can fill a gap but the dropoff of talent is signafacantly greater. And this is why 1 offensive player can have such a dramatic effect on the entire team, more so than 1 defensive player could. Think about it.... which SINGLE player have more significant impact to a franchise, a defensive player or an offensive player? For example, would a sing defensive stud like a Seymour, Freeney, Merriman have more impact than an offensive stud like a Tom Brady, Randy Moss, A. Peterson, Ladanian Tomlinson etc. Just say there were 2 parrallel universes and one universe drafter McFadden and the other drafter Laurenitas, both players have become tremendous. Which player would have a greater impact to the game? If you could imagine what it would be like if A. Peterson was on the patriots this season.... how it would be virtually unstoppable to stop the pats offense. You could have the best defensive players in the NFL on one team, and they could still not stop that type of offense. The case could not be said if Laurenitas was playing MLB. Hell he could be the best MLB to ever play and still would not make as dramatic impact as having an A. Peterson type of player.

OH AND FYI... VRABEL WILL NOT RETIRE. Why would he? He is hitting his prime right now.

Last edited:
Hell will freeze over and pigs will fly because it's gone up every year for the last 10 years. Please be real.

His chart ALREADY includes a cap increase.

It's 6-8 Million of room WITHOUT Moss or Rookies, or Bruschi, or SEau, or Samuel or Gay or Wilson or Pierre Woods or a certain DL whose name I forgot.

see post 120
No you're the one who speculating, and there may be a team next year that has more room under the salary cap than the Patriots who is willing to pay Rosevelt Colvin more than a projected pay cut. The Seattle Seahawks overpaid Deion Branch and the Tennessee Titans overpaid David Givens are two examples of teams willing to shell out the big bucks. Let's not forget the Cleveland Browns overpaid Joe Andruzzi, as well.

His chart ALREADY includes a cap increase.

It's 6-8 Million of room WITHOUT Moss or Rookies, or Bruschi, or SEau, or Samuel or Gay or Wilson or Pierre Woods or a certain DL whose name I forgot.
Some people's computational abilities are beyond comprehension.

Defensive players in the deeper rounds can be trained to fill the necessary gaps very efficiently. This has been the case with the Patriots since 2001 i.e. Hobbes, Asante, Jarvis Green, Wilson, Matt Light, Nick Kazur, Gay to name a few. Some will even progress to be superstars like Asante and Light have become. Oh and FYI, did we not use Troy Brown as a DB for a few seasons ago ? He did a very good job filling defensive voids.
Not when it comes to Patriots linebackers and the NFL draft. When was the last time the New England Patriots selected a linebacker in the first day of the draft?

While fun to discuss this thread is basically useless. If the chips fall Belichick's way the teams above us draft for need leaving a few studs available when we pick. 5 or 6 teams will go nuts to draft that guy and Belichick then trades down.

I don't see Belichick drafting in the top 15 no matter what pick it is. He will recoup the lost 1st rounder by trading down and grab a technically sound player ... bet on it.

No you're the one who speculating, and there may be a team next year that has more room under the salary cap than the Patriots who is willing to pay Rosevelt Colvin more than a projected pay cut. The Seattle Seahawks overpaid Deion Branch and the Tennessee Titans overpaid David Givens are two examples of teams willing to shell out the big bucks. Let's not forget the Cleveland Browns overpaid Joe Andruzzi, as well.

The Browns didn't overpay Andruzzi. We just didn't want him back. Please don't compare 2 receivers in their prime coming off multiple productive seasons to a LB over 30 who averages 7 sacks a year.

Not when it comes to Patriots linebackers and the NFL draft. When was the last time the New England Patriots selected a linebacker in the first day of the draft?

Whats your point? Does that not indicate a reluctance to spend a first round pick on a LB? And show the value of getting quality LB deeper in the draft or free agency.

Last edited:
While fun to discuss this thread is basically useless. If the chips fall Belichick's way the teams above us draft for need leaving a few studs available when we pick. 5 or 6 teams will go nuts to draft that guy and Belichick then trades down.

I don't see Belichick drafting in the top 15 no matter what pick it is. He will recoup the lost 1st rounder by trading down and grab a technically sound player ... bet on it.
There is only one team next year that has two first round draft picks.

All the more reason to take a player like McFadden.

Basically my point was there is a very good chance McFadden is available when the Pats pick. I think it's very unlikely Pioli and BB would pass on a potential superstar like him. Remember how infatuated BB's always been with Moss's ability. A lot of scouts feel McFadden is that much of a freak at the RB position. If that does happen, I think the market for Maroney would be enough to get us a 1st or 2nd round pick, especially to a team like Denver. I don't think it's that crazy at all. I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Whats your point? Does that not indicate a reluctance to spend a first round pick on a LB?
Somehow it does for whatever reason. Maybe the criteria is so stringent for Belichick to draft a linebacker in the first round that he's looking for the next Lawrence Taylor or Carl Banks.

Exactly, Belichick likes veterans and veterans come at a COST. THey cost more than 3rd round rookies.

So if he's true to form, he will hire some veterans.

There will be less money than the "future cap hits" page because they need to sign one for Bruschi and Seau.

Colvin MIGHT take a hit, but I remember him saying the year after his hip injury that he didn't want to cut back....so he may just say IXNAY on that. Just like Milloy did. And someone may pay him, or not, hard to say.

If you look at "future cap hits" the one that jumps out is Stallworth for 6.5M cap hit. He's a luxury but with Moss he's not necessary. He MAY cut back or may decide to get more money than we'd be willing to pay him elsewhere, it's up to him.

But there isn't room at present to do MUCH of anything with the cap space. Unless the cap goes up by MUCH MORE than it's already projected to go up.
Moss alone will be a 6M cap hit, most likely. "But it can be signing bonus"...uhhh his deal would likely be 3-4 years, so 1/3 to 1/4 of the signing bonus and the salary would hit. It's likely to be an incentive laden contract and the incentives would be categorized as likely to be earned, I'd guess.

Somehow it does for whatever reason. Maybe the criteria is so stringent for Belichick to draft a linebacker in the first round that he's looking for the next Lawrence Taylor or Carl Banks.

or he wants then 6'2 270, versatile, smart, and fast.

All the more reason to take a player like McFadden.
No, because obviously the need for a running back is not there when there are higher priorities, especially cornerback and linebacker. Your disdain for Maroney is illogical.

why would the pats trade with denver and help them out???

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes