PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats draft Darren McFadden

Status
Not open for further replies.
how much money do you think it will cost for the 3rd or 4th pick in the draft? If you draft McFadden, then dont plan on signing Moss or Stallworth or Samuel, or anyone else. We do not need to upgrade the RB position.

What don't you get about that?

Samuel will be gone after this season unfortunately, he commands to much money in the free market especially since most teams in the NFL are in need of an all-star corner and are more than willing to pay for his services. Asante is about to hit his prime in a few years or less and will be the best CB in the league.

Moss will stay with the Patriots and at a discount. He is at a point in his career where he has already made his fortunes and just wants to leave a legacy for which historians will remember him. Switching teams will no doubt blemish his accomplishments, besides, from all reports indicate he absolutely loves it here and loves Brady. Not to mention he will continue to dominate being on this team and create even a greater legacy. His CAP space will no doubt be bigger than what it is currently, but i think it will be cheap relative to how much he is worth.

Stallworth is a 50/50 guy in terms of his commitment long term. He obviously will need to rework his contract to better fit him in the CAP, but he might not be willing to do that. Though he is happy here, his success like many past Patriot WR's will be heavily looked at in the F/A. And unlike Randy Moss, he has not reached that point in his career where money is not the most important thing, so he definately has a good chance of getting signed somewhere else. But again, he is a great guy, he loves to play here and he might be willing to negotiate a restructure (i hope he does). If not, then we have Chad Jackson waiting in the wings:)

Tom Brady will no doubt be signing an extension in the offseason, to not only increase his salary but to also lower his CAP hit. It will be a win/win situation on both parties. Washington will be cut after this year and will give us about 4 million back in cap space. We dont need to talk about Welker, because he is already signed for 4 years (thank god!). In that retrospect, we are currently sitting about 10 million under the salary cap, next season if all is how i hoped, that number will be near 15 and possibly even 20 million when all is said and done. If we sign McFadden, our CAP will be around where we are at this point in this season, giving us ample room for future contracts like Vince Wilfork.

Last edited:
how much money do you think it will cost for the 3rd or 4th pick in the draft? If you draft McFadden, then dont plan on signing Moss or Stallworth or Samuel, or anyone else. We do not need to upgrade the RB position.

What don't you get about that?

That's complete BS. Stallworth will not cost much to sign, Samuel's cap # will be smaller than his Franchise # and we can spread out a Moss signing bonus over the term of the contract. With the cap projected to increase to $117 million, you don't have to be a mathematical genius to understand we can sign all of these guys.

Last edited:
That's complete BS. Stallworth will not cost much to sign, Samuel's cap # will be smaller than his Franchise # and we can spread out a Moss signing bonus over the term of the contract. With the cap projected to increase to $117 million, you don't have to be a mathematical genius to understand we can sign all of these guys.
How much will Randy Moss' salary cap charge be next season? I'm curious to know.

How much will Randy Moss' salary cap charge be next season? I'm curious to know.

TO's is about $6.6 million on a newly negotiated contract. That's a good place to start. Bump that up to even $8 million for Moss and we're still ok.

That's probably more wishful thinking on your part.

Hows that wishful thinking? It makes alot of sense. This has been why the Patriots have been successful at a consistent basis compared to any other team in the NFL. Practically every player that is starting right now have taken small/huge paycuts to stay or play over here (Brady, Thomas, Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour, Harrison, Seau and Matt Light to name a few). Moss's willingness to go from a guarenteed 9 million (not including incentives and bonuses) to 1 million shows alot about his character. He even stated before, "I already made my fortune, money is not an issue... i just want to win". His stint with the Raiders and now going to the patriots gives him that more incentive to stay with this franchise.

You my friend are by far the most negative Patriot fan i have ever come across.

Last edited:

No doubt about that. The Pats weren't stupid when they negotiated his deal. They knew he was going to be a 3rd or 4th option in this offense and he was not going to have the stats to justify his 08 contract, which is a Pats option. If you look at Welker's cap # and his production vs. Donte's, the Pats are going to be in a position of power when it comes to Donte's 08 option. If Welker doubles up Dontes yardage and TD totals, Donte will have to be willing to accept a cap # less than Welker's ($3,731,720), or hit the road. And his 07 stats are probably not going to justify a huge deal, even on the open market.

TO's is about $6.6 million on a newly negotiated contract. That's a good place to start. Bump that up to even $8 million for Moss and we're still ok.
How is that okay? If the Patriots do not exercise the option for Kelly Washington, the New England Patriots will only have $12.4 million remaining under the 2008 salary cap. Deduct the $8 million for Randy Moss and the Patriots will only have $4.4 million to sign their 2008 NFL draft picks. Also, the Patriots will need a reserve for injury replacements during the course of the 2008 NFL season.

I can't even begin to imagine what this offense would be like if they added McFadden to it. :eek:

to get a good understanding of the "Real Randy Moss" watch his youtube video...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H0ysZL9A-E0

He is a very nice guy like his teamates, Brady and even BB have indicated. He has grown up alot since his viking days. But look at the teamates he played with... they were all ****y, thuggish, and completely opposite of the Patriots. I can understand why he did some of those things.

You are the most unrealistic Patriots fan when it comes to analyzing the Patriots salary cap situation for 2008. Review the numbers yourself.

http://www.patscap.com/futureyears.html

Ok first of all he states this "Therefore, if my calcuations were correct AND they are not, the Pats would be under their adjusted cap by around $8 million. My numbers are off by about 2 million dollars so the Patriots are probably under the cap by about 6 million."

The last report i read online about the pats cap (a month ago?) was around 9.4 million dollars

Last edited:
How is that okay? If the Patriots do not exercise the option for Kelly Washington, the New England Patriots will only have $12.4 million remaining under the 2008 salary cap. Deduct the $8 million for Randy Moss and the Patriots will only have $4.4 million to sign their 2008 NFL draft picks. Also, the Patriots will need a reserve for injury replacements during the course of the 2008 NFL season.

1st off, you're ignoring the fact the cap is projected to increase by $10 million. 2nd, Colvin is not going to be kept at a $7 million cap figure. He will renegotiate or be gone. 3rd it's not likely Sammy Morris will be kept at a cap figure of $2 million.

1st off, you're ignoring the fact the cap is projected to increase by $10 million. 2nd, Colvin is not going to be kept at a $7 million cap figure. He will renegotiate or be gone. 3rd it's not likely Sammy Morris will be kept at a cap figure of $2 million.
So if Vrabel, Bruschi, Seau all retire and the Patriots cut Rosevelt Colvin essentially the Patriots will only have one proven linebacker on next year's team. FANTASTIC! Meanwhile everyone wants to draft McFadden when the aforementioned scenario could possibly occur.

So if Vrabel, Bruschi, Seau all retire and the Patriots cut Rosevelt Colvin essentially the Patriots will only have one proven linebacker on next year's team. FANTASTIC! Meanwhile everyone wants to draft McFadden when the aforementioned scenario could possibly occur.

Nice try. Why would Vrabel retire? He's having a career year and only 32 years old with 2 more years left on his deal. Not going to happen. Colvin WILL renegotiate, because he will get more from a renegotiated deal from us than he will on the open market. His production has not justified his contract. We still have Thomas, leaving one LB position to fill through the draft or FA.

What if it doesn't increase by $10 million?

Hell will freeze over and pigs will fly because it's gone up every year for the last 10 years. Please be real.

Last edited:
Nice try. Why would Vrabel retire? He's having a career year and only 32 years old with 2 more years left on his deal.
The Patriots organization was caught by surprise in 2005 when Ted Johnson decided to retire early.

The Patriots organization was caught by surprise in 2005 when Ted Johnson decided to retire early.

You're speaking in unlikely hypotheticals, not likelihoods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back