PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats and Vollmer agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes sense. $7MM up front is about right. Now the key will be how the Pats protected themselves from injury. If you look on it, $6.5MM/yr for a healthy Volmer is a good deal. If he can't stay healthy that obviously the cost will be a lot less.

Year one figure will be interesting.

Hmmm..."The latest thinking is that there is no wave-function collapse. Instead, there is decoherence and world splitting."

Now I'm confused ;)

Are you Hugh Everitt?

a 1300 yard 110 catch season in 2013 looks good in 2014 and looks good in 2017.

See below:

Analysing a draft 6 months after it happened then after 5 years is a completely different thing.

This (6 months v. 5 years) is what's known as ......... context, and is why it matters. The different points in time matter.

Thanks for making my point.

Is that related to quantum immortality? If so I'd rather not contemplate it too hard... last time I tried I had a stroke.

I will not bet against a Sicilian with death and immortality on the line

Looks like a real good deal for the Patriots and for Vollmer if he can stay fit and earn all the bonus/incentives money.

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo 58s

Vollmer's 4-yr deal w/ NE includes $7m signing bonus, another $7.75m in base salaries + $10m in roster bonuses/incentives. Almost $25m max.

Nice deal for Herr Vollmer. I'm assuming the $10M incentives have to do with health. But I'm not believing the #s until Erika Leigh tweets them.

Nice deal for Herr Vollmer. I'm assuming the $10M incentives have to do with health. But I'm not believing the #s until Erika Leigh tweets them.
This meme is growing on me :)

Some comments on the comments (for the last 4 pages)

1. Calling DA a "huge downgrade" from Welker is ludicrous. There is only one question about DA and that's his ability to stay on the field. No one should be questioning his SKILL. From what I've read, WHEN he has played, is ability to catch the ball has been better than Welker. WHEN he has played. his ability to get open has been on a par with Welker. WHEN he has been on the field, his YAC has been on a par with Welker. So WHY would we think that given a better QB, and better alternative receivers, that DA would be a "huge downgrade"....IF he can stay on the field.

Now granted the issue of his durability is a real one and shouldn't be minimized, but other than that, didn't we just pick up a bigger, faster, younger Wes Welker.... with better hands at this point of his career. So if you feel the need to be critical about the player change, at least characterize it properly. The player is NOT a "downgrade" in skill; he is at this moment at least, an injury risk.

2. The next reality that needs to be recognized is that DA is very unlikely to duplicate Welker's average production of the last 6 years. WELKER, if he'd returned, would be unlikely to duplicate his past numbers. Why? Because, the offense isn't going to allow it. Next season the Pats are going to make a concerted effort to spread the ball around much more, and NOT be so dependent on a the short game in the middle.. to one receiver.

Injuries forced them to fall back into their old pattern last season, otherwise we would have seen a drop in Wes' production last season, simply because he would have been targeted less. In that vein, I doubt DA will be targeted as much as Welker has been in the past. Yet we might see his ypc go up a bit.

3. Volmer is a huge get, especially at what I would consider a very reasonable price, and a minimum of up front money. Not only do you get an elite RT to protect Brady into his dotage, you have made the entire OL deeper, and eliminated some serious questions that we'd have had going into the season.

4. Now instead of hoping that Marcus Cannon would turn out to be an adequate RT, we can think about him becoming an impact RG. Now instead of having to live with Connolly being a adequate to solid starting G, we can have better than average depth at 3 positions. Now instead of having to worry that your back up LT hasn't played in 2 years, or hasn't played at all, he is one of the best RT's in the league.

So as we stand now, if my fantasy comes true, we'd have not one but TWO interior OL back ups who have been adequate to good starters (Connolly and McDonald) and 2 OT backups who have all started and haven't embarrassed themselves (Svitek, and Cannon) PLUS a nice prospect in Zuvi, who has been in the "system" a couple of years.

That's 9 guys right there, in March, that could potentially give us one of the better OL's, from top to bottom, in the league. I doubt there are too many teams, if any, who can point to a better group at this point in time.

5. My guess is that the rest of FA for the Pats will be to get our roster from the 63 we currently have on the roster to 80 we need to open camp. That's 17 more players. Assuming the 5 draft picks and the 4 UDFA we will sign, that leave about 8 more FA's for us to sign. I hope for Andy's sake one of the will be a proven pass rusher.

6. A request for Ian: Can you please set up a link that we can get to Miguel's cap page from the forum page, like you had before, OR could you at least put the link in the "sticky section" Thanks.

See below:

This (6 months v. 5 years) is what's known as ......... context, and is why it matters. The different points in time matter.

Thanks for making my point.

No it is known as guessing vs analysis from facts.

5. My guess is that the rest of FA for the Pats will be to get our roster from the 63 we currently have on the roster to 80 we need to open camp. That's 17 more players. Assuming the 5 draft picks and the 4 UDFA we will sign, that leave about 8 more FA's for us to sign. I hope for Andy's sake one of the will be a proven pass rusher.
Or all 17, lol

Or all 17, lol

Ideally they'd call every single DE and DL and have them try to get through the starting Oline. Whoever gets a whiff of Mallet gets a second look and a possible contract...

Vollmer's 4-yr deal w/ NE includes $7m signing bonus, another $7.75m in base salaries + $10m in roster bonuses/incentives. Almost $25m max.

Putting aside quantum physics for caponomics, this projects to a cap charge somewhere in the neighborhood of $5mm.

My guesses, based on the incomplete data above:

Year - Bonus ------- Salary ----- Roster/PT --- Pro Bowl
2013 - $1,750,000 - $1,250,000 - $2,250,000 - $250,000
2014 - $1,750,000 - $1,500,000 - $2,250,000 - $250,000
2015 - $1,750,000 - $2,000,000 - $2,250,000 - $250,000
2016 - $1,750,000 - $3,000,000 - $2,250,000 - $250,000

Bonus totals $7mm, per reports
Salary totals $7.75mm, per reports
Roster/playing time bonus totals $9mm, per reports
Pro Bowl bonuses total $1mm, per reports

Base of $17mm, or the $7mm bonus plus the $7.75mm salary plus a guaranteed roster bonus of $2.25mm for 2013.

If you total the $1.75mm bonus and $1.25mm salary and $2.25mm roster for 2013, that's $5.250mm in cap charges. I don't believe he has been to the Pro Bowl, so the $250K Pro Bowl bonus should be Unlikely to be Earned and not counted in 2013 cap.

It's possible his 2014 cap number would be smaller, depending upon the language of the roster/playing time bonus. If ULTBE, then it would drop off 2014 and the exact amount would apply to 2015. If LTBE but not achieved & paid, then the total amount would be accrued in 2014 and some credited in 2015.

Actual numbers could vary, but those line up with the initial reports, yielding a $5.25mm cap hit.

The figures I read for Vollmer were slightly different: 4 yrs. 17 mil. base
value including 8.25 mil. guaranteed, plus 9 mil. playing time incentives
and roster bonuses, and 1 mil. for pro-bowl. Total maximum value 27 mil.

Putting aside quantum physics for caponomics, this projects to a cap charge somewhere in the neighborhood of $5mm.

My guesses, based on the incomplete data above:

Year - Bonus ------- Salary ----- Roster/PT --- Pro Bowl
2013 - $1,750,000 - $1,250,000 - $2,250,000 - $250,000
2014 - $1,750,000 - $1,500,000 - $2,250,000 - $250,000
2015 - $1,750,000 - $2,000,000 - $2,250,000 - $250,000
2016 - $1,750,000 - $3,000,000 - $2,250,000 - $250,000

Bonus totals $7mm, per reports
Salary totals $7.75mm, per reports
Roster/playing time bonus totals $9mm, per reports
Pro Bowl bonuses total $1mm, per reports

Base of $17mm, or the $7mm bonus plus the $7.75mm salary plus a guaranteed roster bonus of $2.25mm for 2013.

If you total the $1.75mm bonus and $1.25mm salary and $2.25mm roster for 2013, that's $5.250mm in cap charges. I don't believe he has been to the Pro Bowl, so the $250K Pro Bowl bonus should be Unlikely to be Earned and not counted in 2013 cap.

It's possible his 2014 cap number would be smaller, depending upon the language of the roster/playing time bonus. If ULTBE, then it would drop off 2014 and the exact amount would apply to 2015. If LTBE but not achieved & paid, then the total amount would be accrued in 2014 and some credited in 2015.

Actual numbers could vary, but those line up with the initial reports, yielding a $5.25mm cap hit.

I agree with the estimated salaries but I think the incentives are more along the line of 100,000 for every game played as an adder to the next year's base

Year - Bonus ------- Salary ----- Roster PT Adder
2013 - $1,750,000 - $1,250,000 - $1.000.000
2014 - $1,750,000 - $1,500,000 - $1.000.000 $1.600.000
2015 - $1,750,000 - $2,000,000 - $1.000.000 $3.200,000
2016 - $1,750,000 - $3,000,000 - $1.000.000 $4.800,000

Add the 1 mil for probowl you had and you get around 28 mill.

To be totally honest, I'm not sure that I like this deal. If Vollmer stays healthy and hits his incentives, they probably end up slightly overpaying him ($7M per is too much for any RT, IMO - even if he's the best in the NFL).

If he continues to battle with health issues and hits none of his incentives, they still end up overpaying him (at approximately $4M per) on his signing bonus + base salaries.

For now, it's not terrible, but what happens when it's time to re-up Solder? Are the Pats ready to handle three offensive linemen with cap hits of $7M+?

To be totally honest, I'm not sure that I like this deal. If Vollmer stays healthy and hits his incentives, they probably end up slightly overpaying him..

If Vollmer stays healthy he is a great RT and worth the $$. Let's hope he stays healthy. Will make for a happy tom brayd

Patriots RT Sebastian Vollmer's four-year contract has a base value of just $17 million, with $8.25 million guaranteed.
It's a significantly below-market contract for one of the game's premier right tackles, and a steal of a deal for the Patriots. The big payment is a $7 million signing bonus, but Vollmer's base salaries are (relatively) dirt cheap throughout the contract's life and his New England future will be year to year beyond 2013. The max value, including incentives, is $27 million.

Fantasy Football player news, injuries and analysis - Rotoworld.com

To be totally honest, I'm not sure that I like this deal. If Vollmer stays healthy and hits his incentives, they probably end up slightly overpaying him ($7M per is too much for any RT, IMO - even if he's the best in the NFL).

If he continues to battle with health issues and hits none of his incentives, they still end up overpaying him (at approximately $4M per) on his signing bonus + base salaries.

For now, it's not terrible, but what happens when it's time to re-up Solder? Are the Pats ready to handle three offensive linemen with cap hits of $7M+?

Odds are a lot of his bonuses will never be gotten. I am sure a lot of his incentives are of the bogus nature like catching a TD pass in the Super Bowl variety. I'm sure if he reaches all of his realistic incentives, I bet his max per year is $6 million or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes