PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats and Vollmer agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is good news if true. Agree that Abraham/Sanders would make this offseason a very good one in theory (you can't really evaluate until you see the results on the field). No huge signings just a bunch of efficient ones in key areas. If we land 2 or 3 decent players in the draft at key positions (DB, WR, DL/LB depending on Abraham) we are as complete a team as you can get in the salary cap era.

I'd argue that Talib, Vollmer and Amendola are "huge" signings. Amendola is no Welker, but he was the next best slot receiver available and he isn't just a slot receiver, he has the speed and size to play outside as well and stretch the field. Hes more versatile than Welker, although Welker was better at his slot role.

Assuming Amendola stays healthy, he should put up decent numbers, probably about 85% of what Welker put up which is all we need him to do. The rest of the team can pick up the slack and make up the other 15%, like Hernandez, Gronk and Vereen.

85% of Welker is 93 catches for 1070 yards and LOTS and LOTS of key 1st downs.

And, why would you ASSUME that a player injured for both the last two years won't be injured this year?

Assuming Amendola stays healthy, he should put up decent numbers, probably about 85% of what Welker put up which is all we need him to do. The rest of the team can pick up the slack and make up the other 15%, like Hernandez, Gronk and Vereen.

I'd argue that Talib, Vollmer and Amendola are "huge" signings. Amendola is no Welker, but he was the next best slot receiver available and he isn't just a slot receiver, he has the speed and size to play outside as well and stretch the field. Hes more versatile than Welker, although Welker was better at his slot role.

Im talking huge in terms of money. Something like the Mike Wallace deal or I think it was Goldson getting $8M per. Our signings (with Vollmer's still yet to know) all seem to have an under $5M cap hit.

85% of Welker is 93 catches for 1070 yards and LOTS and LOTS of key 1st downs.

And, why would you ASSUME that a player injured for both the last two years won't be injured this year?

Because Edelman was perfectly fine in 2011. In fact, he forced a key fumble and covered Anquan Boldin in the AFCCG better than a real defensive back (Cole).

Talib's a bandaid when the team needed a long term solution. The Patriots had a chance to sign other CBs for longer term deals and couldn't/wouldn't reel one in, so the Talib signing is a huge "meh", IMO.

Vollmer returning is a very nice get, if he can stay on the field. I'm not sure "huge" is really apt considering we're dealing with a player who's back issues now seem to be chronic, but it's a very reasonable risk if the money and protections are right for both sides.

Amendola is a "huge" downgrade, although him actually having a full and healthy season would lessen the disparity.

Realistically, the team's biggest FA signing this season has probably been Washington, because of the recent Demps news, and, since his injury, Washington's been a lesser overall player than the one he's replacing.

Amendola is a "huge" downgrade, although him actually having a full and healthy season would lessen the disparity.

That's to be decided. Statement is incorrect and premature. We can make a determination on that at the end of the upcoming season.

That's to be decided. Statement is incorrect and premature. We can make a determination on that at the end of the upcoming season.

"We" can make a determination right now. Many have done so, in fact.

The statement is not only correct, it's statistically verifiable on multiple fronts (i.e. production, injury), as has been demonstrated time and again.

But look on the bright side. Maybe Amendola will play a full 16 game season and Welker will be IR'd in training camp. Amendola's missed more games in each of the last two seasons than Welker's missed in his entire 9 year career, but stranger things have happened. That won't change what was already in play at the time of the deals, but it'll make a lot of Patriots homers really happy.

Talib's a bandaid when the team needed a long term solution. The Patriots had a chance to sign other CBs for longer term deals and couldn't/wouldn't reel one in, so the Talib signing is a huge "meh", IMO.

Vollmer returning is a very nice get, if he can stay on the field. I'm not sure "huge" is really apt considering we're dealing with a player who's back issues now seem to be chronic, but it's a very reasonable risk if the money and protections are right for both sides.

Realistically, the team's biggest FA signing this season has probably been Washington, because of the recent Demps news, and, since his injury, Washington's been a lesser overall player than the one he's replacing.

So not bullish on Wilson, I guess?

Freak injuries happen. Not sure I'm ready to tag Gronk as made of glass just yet. :cool:

"We" can make a determination right now. Many have done so, in fact.

The statement is not only correct, it's statistically verifiable on multiple fronts (i.e. production, injury), as has been demonstrated time and again.

My point is lets see him on the field before calling him a "HUGE" downgrade. Do we think he can be as good as Welker? Not right away anyway. But that's yet to be determined. Lets just see what he does for the pats on the field this season. After that we can make a determination on him being a "huge" downgrade or not. So no statement not correct until that comes to pass.

This is an interesting strategy. Sign players with much worse recent production and injury history and hope that they might be as good as the player with higher production.

My point is lets see him on the field before calling him a "HUGE" downgrade. Do we think he can be as good as Welker? Not right away anyway. But that's yet to be determined. Lets just see what he does for the pats on the field this season. After that we can make a determination on him being a "huge" downgrade or not. So no statement not correct until that comes to pass.

To many on this board and Patriots nation, if Danny Amendola should catch 110 balls for 1300 yards and 8 TDs next season, they will claim that Welker would have caught 150 balls for 1500 yards and 10 TDs if he were here. It's a losing battle.

So not bullish on Wilson, I guess?

Not with his apparently declining coverage abilities, no. Given his contract, it wouldn't seem that the Patriots are particularly confident, either. He could be a pleasant surprise in coverage and earn the starting job, or he could be a camp casualty. Neither would shock me.

My point is lets see him on the field before calling him a "HUGE" downgrade.

My point is "No, there's no need to do that".

Do we think he can be as good as Welker? Not right away anyway. But that's yet to be determined. Lets just see what he does for the pats on the field this season. After that we can make a determination on him being a "huge" downgrade or not. So no statement not correct until that comes to pass.

See above and, yes, my earlier statement is already correct.

Welker broke jerry rice's record of most seasons with 100 rec the guy was a top five WR here with the pats, Amendola will replace what Lloyd did last year 70 to 80 rec and 800 to 900 yards... only Gronk can replace what Welker did as far as yards and big plays go

Welker broke jerry rice's record of most seasons with 100 rec the guy was a top five WR here with the pats, Amendola will replace what Lloyd did last year 70 to 80 rec and 800 to 900 yards... only Gronk can replace what Welker did as far as yards and big plays go

If Amendola stays healthy he will more than replace Lloyd's production.

The offense will shift. It won't be like the past 2 years were. We are closing 1 chapter and starting a new one in the offense category. I personally think this offense will be better And more unstoppable come playoffs. Less predictable.

To many on this board and Patriots nation, if Danny Amendola should catch 110 balls for 1300 yards and 8 TDs next season, they will claim that Welker would have caught 150 balls for 1500 yards and 10 TDs if he were here. It's a losing battle.

I'm the biggest Welker supporter on this board and I wouldn't make that claim at all. IF Amendola puts up those numbers then he will have completely replaced Welker with maybe even a little more production and Belichick will have done a great job replacing Welker. unfortunately there will be many here who will then claim he's almost 30 and over the hill and that they need to trade Amendola for a 2nd round pick while they can, that Edelman can easily replace him, and that he's really isn't necessary because of the 2 TE's and changed offense. Oh, and that they really need to trade for Mike wallace because that's what they really need, not some old slow, small unathletic slot receiver.

My point is "No, there's no need to do that".

So if Amendola blows up next year and has same catches and same yards as Welker you would still call him a huge downgrade?

See above and, yes, my earlier statement is already correct.

I don't see how a definite statement about what is yet to come is correct. I call that a guess at best an educated guess, but still a guess, and that's all you are doing when it comes to the future. Lets agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back