PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats and Vollmer agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be totally honest, I'm not sure that I like this deal. If Vollmer stays healthy and hits his incentives, they probably end up slightly overpaying him ($7M per is too much for any RT, IMO - even if he's the best in the NFL).

If he continues to battle with health issues and hits none of his incentives, they still end up overpaying him (at approximately $4M per) on his signing bonus + base salaries.

For now, it's not terrible, but what happens when it's time to re-up Solder? Are the Pats ready to handle three offensive linemen with cap hits of $7M+?

I don't think mankins sees his 7mill salary in 2015, and i don't think he does either.

Geez, I sure hate the way the Patriots go quietly about signing the majority of players they want to keep to reasonable contracts during the offseason.

Geez, I sure hate the way the Patriots go quietly about signing the majority of players they want to keep to reasonable contracts during the offseason.

Yeah, what the Pats should have done is franchised Talib at $10 million and gave Vollmer $15 million guaranteed and $8 million a year. At those higher prices, they would be better players. Isn't that how it works?

So, it sounds like 1.75m per year on the cap for the bonus, and then about 2.5m for incentives. Assuming they are LTBE incentives, that means a cap hit of 4.25m plus whatever his base salary is this year. If it's not LTBE, assuming a base salary this year of about 1.5m, it means a smaller hit this year around $3m, but some big hits in years 2-4 if he stays healthy.

Yeah, what the Pats should have done is franchised Talib at $10 million and gave Vollmer $15 million guaranteed and $8 million a year. At those higher prices, they would be better players. Isn't that how it works?
Paying top dollar always produces the best results. Always. ;)

I agree with the estimated salaries but I think the incentives are more along the line of 100,000 for every game played as an adder to the next year's base

If that's right, though, wouldn't you have to include 1.5m as LTBE in 2013 since he played 15 games last year?

If that's right, though, wouldn't you have to include 1.5m as LTBE in 2013 since he played 15 games last year?

No they are no "incentives" based on last years production. Last years production got him the 2013 salary and SB of almost 8.5 mill. Great money for this year, future money will be determined by how many games he plays per season to a max of 1.6 mil per season for the life of his contract. Based on how many games played the previous year increases his base for the following years.

This keeps the first year hit low and pays him proportionally to the games played.

To be totally honest, I'm not sure that I like this deal. If Vollmer stays healthy and hits his incentives, they probably end up slightly overpaying him ($7M per is too much for any RT, IMO - even if he's the best in the NFL).

If he continues to battle with health issues and hits none of his incentives, they still end up overpaying him (at approximately $4M per) on his signing bonus + base salaries.

For now, it's not terrible, but what happens when it's time to re-up Solder? Are the Pats ready to handle three offensive linemen with cap hits of $7M+?

As always when the real numbers come out they will probably be different than what was discussed here.
Its 4/17 plus incentives. We do not know what the incentives are, or how much is backloaded.

The bonus is $7M and the guaranteed money is $8.25M. The cap seems likely to be $1.75 prorated bonus plus a $1.25M guaranteed salary or $3M. He would receive all his guaranteed his money in the first year.

At first glance this is a good contract for the Patriots and a good contract for Seabass....

Very happy with this!

Seems like a great deal for both sides!

It's all because Kraft is "cheap".

I think the kiddos here are beginning to learn a lesson.

Next year at this time, there will be another set of kiddos who will go through the same process.

Patriots RT Sebastian Vollmer's four-year contract has a base value of just $17 million, with $8.25 million guaranteed.
It's a significantly below-market contract for one of the game's premier right tackles, and a steal of a deal for the Patriots. The big payment is a $7 million signing bonus, but Vollmer's base salaries are (relatively) dirt cheap throughout the contract's life and his New England future will be year to year beyond 2013. The max value, including incentives, is $27 million.

Fantasy Football player news, injuries and analysis - Rotoworld.com

They protected themselves from future injury with a great RT who has some back issues. Can't fault them for that. Nor could anybody fault Vollmer for trying to get the most possible, considering his NFL career could be cut very short literally on any snap.

So as we stand now, if my fantasy comes true, we'd have not one but TWO interior OL back ups who have been adequate to good starters (Connolly and McDonald) and 2 OT backups who have all started and haven't embarrassed themselves (Svitek, and Cannon) PLUS a nice prospect in Zuvi, who has been in the "system" a couple of years.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but who's starting at RG in your fantasy? :confused:

No they are no "incentives" based on last years production. Last years production got him the 2013 salary and SB of almost 8.5 mill. Great money for this year, future money will be determined by how many games he plays per season to a max of 1.6 mil per season for the life of his contract. Based on how many games played the previous year increases his base for the following years.

This keeps the first year hit low and pays him proportionally to the games played.

You misunderstood the previous poster's point.

What he's saying is that, because Vollmer played 15 games last year, then it is assumed, for the purpose of determining his salary cap hit for 2013, that he will play 15 games this year. Therefore, any incentives based on his playing 15 games or fewer (but not 16) count against this year's salary cap.

^ lol! If Erika tweeted me happy birthday on the correct date I might start doubting my own existence

Vollmers cap hit this year...

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
For those #Patriots fans asking about Sebastian Vollmer's cap number. I'm told it's $3M for 2013.

That leaves us $12 mill to play with I think.

resdubwhite said:
wow there cowboy.

Unless Erika tweets it. It didn't happen.

Don't understand this infatuation with her

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore