PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats acquire DE/OLB Derrick Burgess for draft picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DAM ... Belichick must be a HUGE Riaders fan ?

Truth be told ... Once upon a time I was a Pats fan.
I remember the day clearly. Krafts had a "fan vote" to keep the MinuteMan logo or go with the new "Flying Elvis".
The fans boo'd the flying elvis so loud and long, it delayed the 2nd half kick off of the Jets game. He changed the logo anyway.

I took down my Steve Grogan & John Hannah poster ...
and official became a Raiders Fan.

Not been easy being a Raider Fan living in CT the last 6 years.

But then again, its always been a RAIDER NATION.

Well Kudos for sticking with your decision - i'm guessing youve had your fair share of days bordering on regret since :D

I think the Raiders had to ship the guy, hopefully they'll find a way to draft someone other than simply picking the guys who ran the 40 the quickest!

re: Pats acquire DE/OLB Derrick Burgess for draft pick

weren't people saying the same crap about moss ofter a couple of years in oakland??? maybe its a recurring theme

one thing to understand is that the raiders were near the bottom of the NFL in rushing defense the last 2 years(only the lions were worse), so teams weren't passing the ball as much

he's gotta be a major upgrade over woods.......

I dont think he's an upgrade over Pierre Woods. I think he is a complement to Pierre Woods.

Anyone who thinks Derrick Burgess is going to be transformed into an every down 34 2gap OLB after all these years of never doing that, will probably be disappointed in this trade.
Anyone who thinks he can provide a nice pass rush in sub packages will probably end up pleased with the move.

Re: Pats acquire Burgess

The "trend" in Burgess's sack stats may be telling. They may also point to the fact that he spent more time rushing the passer from OLB in a 3-4 than he did the last couple of years as a DE.

Now the question becomes is he a one-year rental, or a 3-4 year guy? If he's just a one-year loan, 3/5 is high. (Unless they win the SB of course. :))

You are about to be disappointed

A 2011 3rd and a 2011 5th? That's like a 2010 4th and 6th, so no- I'm not dissapointed at all- but thanks anyway! :)

It's not all about sacks, as there are many factors that go into that particular statistic.

I would be willing to wager that with the demise of the oakland raiders, their opponents are typically playing with a lead, which therefor provides the oakland defense with less chances to tee off and rush the passer.

Regardless, one thing I thought was interesting is that if you account for qb sacks, hits, and hurries ( still not perfect, but at least a much wider definition of "Pressure") Burgess actually scores tremendously well.

In 2007 he was top 10 if you added up all his pressures (37 in total, with only 8 being actual sacks)

Last year, which he was only a part time player, he still managed to get a great deal of "hurries" (more so than any player we had last year)

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Football analysis and NFL stats for the Moneyball era - Authors of Football Outsiders Almanac 2009

Now the question becomes is he a one-year rental, or a 3-4 year guy? If he's just a one-year loan, 3/5 is high. (Unless they win the SB of course. :))

If the numbers shake out like people have been saying - there is no real reason why a guy who is instrumental to the sub-package shouldn't hold as much value as someone who features predominantly in the 3-4 base.

I do think people fall for draft based hype and over value picks - Doug gabriel never really did much of anything anywhere, Randy Moss did then had some off years.

Looking at the two examples I know which Burgess more closely resembles.

I'm sure that's the hope. I'm sure BB did his homework. I'm sure I want it to work out brilliantly. Now, time will tell us the tale.

The problem is many people are grading the homework answers without looking at the questions.
I think its a huge jump to a conclusion to think that BB traded for Burgess to convert him to an every down OLB and that he is confident that transition will work.
I think more likely the question on the homework was Can you find a way to use this player, and are you comfortable risking a 3rd and a 5th that he will be able to help you in some way ?

The last time we won SB was 04. We are in 09. Time is running out. It's time to get another SB ring. If this transaction helps us get their quicker, go for it.

We are going to wait and see what BB actually gave up.

Last edited:

Truth be told ... Once upon a time I was a Pats fan.
I remember the day clearly. Krafts had a "fan vote" to keep the MinuteMan logo or go with the new "Flying Elvis".
The fans boo'd the flying elvis so loud and long, it delayed the 2nd half kick off of the Jets game. He changed the logo anyway.

I took down my Steve Grogan & John Hannah poster ...
and official became a Raiders Fan.

Not been easy being a Raider Fan living in CT the last 6 years.

But then again, its always been a RAIDER NATION.

If you changed teams because of a logo.....we didn't want ya.

I heard on NFL Total Access that the Patriots gave up their 2010 3rd rounder and a 2011 5th rounder for Burgess!!

Last edited:

I heard on NFL Total Access that the Patriots gave up their 2010 3rd rounder and a 2011 5th rounder for Burgess!!

Oh so they split up the years that they lost picks. Good deal imo. Especially since the Pats have like 3 2nd rounders in 2010. They had the ammo to spend and they filled a need now with a veteran player.

Last edited:

Well Kudos for sticking with your decision - i'm guessing youve had your fair share of days bordering on regret since :D

I think the Raiders had to ship the guy, hopefully they'll find a way to draft someone other than simply picking the guys who ran the 40 the quickest!

Regret .... Actually, None.

Lets say there is a WEE bit of animosty over the TuckRule/SnowJob game.
please take note of the frames at .58 & .59 seconds.
With two hands on the ball at point of contact ... bla bla bla

YouTube - The Tuck Rule

Per the twitter update I just received to my phone.

Yeah I just saw it on Reiss Page...forget what draft picks they gave up...we just got better defensively. Period.

A hybrid outside linebacker / defensive end? 3-4? 4-3? Goal line? Great pickup by Pats.

How many years are left on his contract?

This is obviiously a fine pickup for very little. We have FOUR day one picks in 2010!

We cut Redd because he wasn't good enough to complete the OLB group of Thomas-Woods-BantaCain-Crable.
We signed Burgess.

This is clearly a major upgrade at OLB.

Now Crable's development will be much less critical in 2009.

Last edited:

If you changed teams because of a logo.....we didn't want ya.

You missed the point.
How long you been a fan big guy?

Hate to lose the picks, but I'm loving this team in 2009 :eat1:

BB et al. always amaze me with their patience, it's unending.

I am delighted by this trade.

Clearly the one major hole on the team, injuries aside.

The salary implication is interesting. This could put the Patriots right up against the cap, once the regular season accounting begins.

I agree that Burgess is a passing-downs player, and this should be a great fit. Woods is very good against the run and very weak against the pass. Crable is supposed to offer pass rush, but he missed last year and has already missed over 15 practices. However, he should be able to learn something from Burgess.

At this point I would envision a three-man OLB rotation, with Burgess subbing for both Woods and Thomas. For Woods, Burgess can come in with the nickel. For Thomas, he can play occasional series. If Crable is ready, this can become a four-man rotation later in the season.

At 30, Burgess is that veteran wily linebacker Belichick loves.

I am ambivalent about whether this is a 2010 or 2011 third-round pick. I'd imagine that 2010 is more likely - hard to see Oakland agreeing to a trade for picks two years out. But who cares.

With two good pass rushers on either side, the New England defense should be quite a bit more dangerous. With Woods on the field, the team can slant blitz pickup toward Thomas. With Burgess, the defense becomes less predictable.

The team got better today.

Thank for the info. It's not a bad deal at all.

You missed the point.
How long you been a fan big guy?

I guess I did.:confused:

Nov 1981 first game. Pats lost to the Fins at aluminum bench stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes