PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trading Richard Seymour to the Raiders!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve - I had the feeling you didn't understand what the job of the 3-4 DE in the 2 Gap system was supposed to be, but you just proved you didn't. Which explains the fallacy of your posts.

Steve almost certainly does not, Seymour is a great pass rusher in spite ofthe system not because of it. Seymour is freakishly athletic for his large frame and weight thus making him the best 3-4 end in football.

His job in our defense is the eat space and provide lanes for our Long and agile OLBs who are supposed to use said openings to bat down balls, create sack opportunities and pressure the QB into making poor reads/throws into our confusing zone defense.

Take away the Patriots part and just look at it from a Raiders PoV, and it's horrendous. I don't care if they made this trade with any other team in the NFL, it would be horrible regardless. If you're rebuilding, you *don't* trade a 1st rounder (especially when it's likely a high 1st) for a 29 year old player who has one year left on his contract.

There are a few flaws to your thinking.

1) While the Raiders might do poorly this year, they might not, but adding Seymour to a defensive line that already has Tommy Kelly and Greg Ellis makes them better in the short term.. And could continue the mediocrity of that division.
2) The Raiders are in the top 10 teams (possibly top 5 or Top 3) in terms of revenue generated. EDIT: This is wrong and thanks for it being pointed out.. The Raiders were ranked 8th worst in the league in 2007..
3) With an uncapped year, the Raiders will be able to throw money at players to get them to come in an attempt to bring back integrity to the Raider name.. And the Raiders will have the revenue to do so since they generate so much.

Also, keep in mind that BB did not trade Seymour to either the Chiefs or the Broncos, but to one of their division rivals.. This will actually help to ensure the Pats don't have to face Seymour in 2010 if he re-signs with the Raiders.

Last edited:
The Patriots didn't do a good job of replacing either Branch or Samuel the year they left. That, in a nutshell, is what worries me.

On the other hand, the remaining DL on paper looks a lot better than the WRs or CBs did respectively in the other two examples.

And by the way, the Wilfork quote to the effect that Seymour saw this coming months ago makes a lot of sense. He was never going to re-sign, and while he and the Pats brass didn't love each other, they had enough mutual respect to communicate frankly w/ each other without getting mightily angry about it.

Well this could mean only one thing...

A PEPPERS DEAL IS IN THE WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

No. It doesn't mean a Peppers deal is in the works. More likely, it means that the Pats convinced Kevin Carter to sign with them.

BTW, I am fairly certain that Peppers contract can not be redone. That would mean the Patriots would have to have $17+ million in free cap space to add him.

No. It doesn't mean a Peppers deal is in the works. More likely, it means that the Pats convinced Kevin Carter to sign with them.

BTW, I am fairly certain that Peppers contract can not be redone. That would mean the Patriots would have to have $17+ million in free cap space to add him.

what he said......again

Last edited:
Yeah, see, I don't buy this. The Raiders have the best CB in the game. They've just added a tremendous D-lineman who's no longer going to be taking the pounding he too in New England as a 2-gap DE. They have a strong running back group.

There's talent there, and Seymour can make a big difference on that team.

Now, if you were to say something like "Al Davis will find a way to screw the pooch", I'd be inclined to agree with that.

I do agree with you that Seymour will make a difference on that team. But, it's still the Raiders and Russell is still their QB. They can't afford to hand it off all day long, though they do have a nice corps with McFadden, Bush, and Fargas.

If anything, this is a roadblaock for both the Chiefs and Denver.. as well as a hinderance to the Chargers...

There are a few flaws to your thinking.

1) While the Raiders might do poorly this year, they might not, but adding Seymour to a defensive line that already has Tommy Kelly and Greg Ellis makes them better in the short term.. And could continue the mediocrity of that division.
2) The Raiders are in the top 10 teams (possibly top 5 or Top 3) in terms of revenue generated.
3) With an uncapped year, the Raiders will be able to throw money at players to get them to come in an attempt to bring back integrity to the Raider name.. And the Raiders will have the revenue to do so since they generate so much.

Also, keep in mind that BB did not trade Seymour to either the Chiefs or the Broncos, but to one of their division rivals.. This will actually help to ensure the Pats don't have to face Seymour in 2010 if he re-signs with the Raiders.

Where do you come up with this stuff. The Raiders are in the bottom third of the league in revenue per Forbes analysis that just got updated last week... Al's been in a snit over that for years.

So, if Seymour doesn't re-sign with Oakland after the season, they gave up a 1st round pick for 1 year of service? Wow...

Good deal by the Pats and all the best to Seymour. Great player and one of the cornerstones of the Pats dynasty.

For those who think that the loss of Seymour won't be felt:

Adjusted Line Yards for running on the Pats (and ranking)

Left End: 4.30 (20th)
Left Tackle: 2.88 (2nd) <--- Seymour
Mid/Guard: 4.18 (14th) <-- Wilfork
Right Tackle: 4.26 (22nd) <-- Warren
Right End: 4.41 (24th)

Which of these numbers is not like the other? Since most people only seem to evaluate defensive players for their sack totals, Seymour doesn't get anywhere near his due, because his greatest value is in that he absolutely shuts down the run. It's impossible to run behind the left tackle when Seymour's playing.

So basically, we just lost our best run-stopper and our top pass-rusher on the DL. AKA, the MVP of our defense. I get that we got value for him before he walked, but don't be surprised when our run defense suddenly becomes a problem this year. Maybe Belichick's banking on our opponents playing from too far behind to exploit Seymour's absence against the run, but this isn't going to help us win any games in january...
Seymour quit us a long time ago. Why dont you quit him?

So I only read through the first few pages, so it may have been brought up at some point, but I think some people are missing one vital point about the pick: there's a decent chance that draft slotting is implemented for the 2011 draft, meaning the Raiders pick--which could easily be top 10--would be much more valuable than in the past, when it was not a good value pick because of the compensation due to top rookies.

I love the deal...time will tell how this season plays out but I still think it's a solid defense, a very good defensive line and this doesn't change the fact that the offense will most likely be dominant again. I don't think this changes their SB aspirations for this season one bit, and it creates a great opportunity to add a stud rookie in two years at a value you just can't get top 10 draft picks these days.

Where do you come up with this stuff. The Raiders are in the bottom third of the league in revenue per Forbes analysis that just got updated last week... Al's been in a snit over that for years.

Actually the most recent one had them LAST of all 32 teams in value which is based on multiple factors...
The Business Of Football, 2009 - Forbes.com

Oh and while Seymour WILL make the Raiders better, remember that their coaches still have meetings that resemble Golden Gloves tournaments...

If they are in the bottom third, it new because for the longest time, their revenues from souvenir sales topped everyone...

I just read this whole thread, and I think a few people are not thinking clearly because they're hurt because they lost one of their favorite players. I know what that's like though. I experienced similar feelings during the Bledsoe drama.

This trade was absolutely BRILLIANT. This team was 8-0 in 2007 without Seymour and they can win this year without him. The chances of winning the Superbowl this year are only hurt slightly. They are still the best team in football. This trade ensures that the Patriots will be Superbowl contenders (most likely favorites) for years to come.

I feel so lucky to be a Patriots fan.

Last edited:
Didn't the raiders lead the league in blackouts last year? Not that I blame the fans, but if this drums up enough excitement for them to actually start... I dunno, showing up, then that has value too.

The NEP got the best of the Seymour deal through 2004. They took it in the shorts after his 2005 TC holdout. But they had the good sense to only extend him for 3 seasons and bail heading into the third to recoup 1st round value. He was a great fit for the 3-4 when healthy, a lousy fit for it when injured and he was never the kind of franchise leader they are willing to pay here.

I said when they extended him in 2006 I thought they should have just moved on. I also said the 3 year extension was a compromise achieved for a reason. To reassess him due to growing durability and leadership concerns. They tried like hell on all levels to get him all in, but he never did embrace the concept. Lawyer got thru to him moreso than the hoodie or Kraft ever could. Richard was never a vocal leader, he led by example. Hard to be a positive leadership example when your holding out on your rookie deal or rehabbing through two thirds of your top 3 $$ extension.

I didn't see this coming, but I certainly get why it did.

Well, I guess I won't have to hear posters referring to Seymour as "Manny".

After the 2002 season Milloy (?) said : "there are going to be a lot of changes next year" ................... we missed the playoffs that year as well.

Me, I think Seymour has a lot of gas left but we have enough cars to cover his loss.

There is one more blocker free on every play now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents