PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign WR Anthony Gonzalez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I like Anthony Gonzalez? Well, yes, especially since I am an Ohio State fan too (I don't know why).

BUT....I can't help but think that he is being brought in to fill the role of Julian Edelman. The concern, why do we need him if Edelman is on the team? I hope this doesn't mean that Edelman is now playing defense full time.

If belichick was talking restructure with Johnson, it would appear that the plan is to keep him.
Belichick can cut Ochostinko and not worry about contract restructures.

Do I like Anthony Gonzalez? Well, yes, especially since I am an Ohio State fan too (I don't know why).

BUT....I can't help but think that he is being brought in to fill the role of Julian Edelman.
What if Edelman is hurt during training camp or preseason? What is the fall back position if Anthony Gonzalez is not on the roster?

Pats haven't had solid WR depth is some time. I think this is a good problem to have.

BUT....I can't help but think that he is being brought in to fill the role of Julian Edelman. The concern, why do we need him if Edelman is on the team? I hope this doesn't mean that Edelman is now playing defense full time.

Edelman is also their punt returner, you know...

Not really a fan of this at all to be honest, would have preferred Early Doucet, Naanee, Gaffney, hell even Stallworth instead of this guy. He's seriously injury prone, he'll be cut.

Not really a fan of this at all to be honest, would have preferred Early Doucet, Naanee, Gaffney, hell even Stallworth instead of this guy. He's seriously injury prone, he'll be cut.

First, Edelman is NOT a WR, or a DB. Yes, he is an emergency WR or DB. Edelman is a good returner. That's pretty much it.

Gonzo is a WR only. Yes, last 2yrs he has injury problems.

Dont think Gonzo replaces Edelman, rather maybe Deion or Ocho or Underpants...

So, we have another player who sustain season ending injury in 2010 on a late hit by non other than Patriots killer Bernard Pollard....

I see Gonzo as the #4 WR, although, he certainly could end up being our #3.

Welker, Lloyd, Johnson/Underwood, Gonzalez, Edelman, Slater

Obviously, we could re-sign Branch or draft a wide receiver.

For me, the key to this group is to sign Welker to a long-term deal. I would consider signing Branch as competition for Johnson and Gonzo, and as Welker insurance.

One thing that might help keep Gonzalez healthy: The Patriots conditioning and strength program is considered at the top of the league in terms of its cutting-edge approach. If he can stay on the field and blossoms here he'll be a true steal.

Jones, look at that again with a pair of these on. Everything is beautiful!

Super Bowl!!!!!!!!!!!

New-England-Patriots-Sun-Glasses_B1.jpg

These are brilliant!....thanks I need a pair of these on at all times!!

One thing that might help keep Gonzalez healthy: The Patriots conditioning and strength program is considered at the top of the league in terms of its cutting-edge approach.

That must be why our speed position players -- especially the DBs -- have such great durability.

So we have 4 'locks' for 6 wr slots, Lloyd, Welker + 2 versatile ST/WR guys Edleman & Slater. Which leaves:

Branch (who will be signed), Ocho, Underwood, Gonzalvez (plus Draft pick?) competing for 2 spots.

Will be a very competitive camp, I would guess Branch and Gonzalez.

I don't see a high DP on a WR just some camp fodder guys (and hope one becomes Cruz :D

a first round 2007, if healthy, could be good for us

Last edited:
Nice move I like this signing..

Jones, look at that again with a pair of these on. Everything is beautiful!

Super Bowl!!!!!!!!!!!

New-England-Patriots-Sun-Glasses_B1.jpg

WOW. No one has said anything of the sort. Nothing like being a jackarse with your asinine exaggerations.

The MOST anyone has said is that this is a low risk/high reward type move as long as the contract reflects the same.

YOU, on the other hand, have done nothing but trash the move and act like a fool.

One thing that might help keep Gonzalez healthy: The Patriots conditioning and strength program is considered at the top of the league in terms of its cutting-edge approach. If he can stay on the field and blossoms here he'll be a true steal.

Given the rash of injuries that Pats sustain vs say the Jets, I don't believe that's true.

I see signing AG as fulfilling BB's philosophy of creating competition at all positions in training camp. I fervently hope that the 2012 Pats have better options on the 53 than Ocho, Branch and Underpants. I feel like biting off my tongue from past posts where I've lamented BB's WR picks in the draft but I seriously hope he takes a burner WR this April. Supposedly there's WR talent in this crop. Let the kid earn a spot on STs as he hopefully develops.

Last edited:
Come on.
Taking a flyer on a talented player who has had a miserable run of injuries isn't going to alter the strategy of building the roster.

Oh, yes it will.

Instead of drafting for need, you draft best player available. I liked drafting Solder, but question how much he helped last season. Most NE 1st round picks have more of an impact in their 1st season than Solder did.

I have not seen ANYONE point to his best season and say that is the player we signed except you. Can you point those posts out to me so I can respond to them?

Potential = Gonzalezs very best season.

I recall all the hoopla last off season when the Pats got Haynesworth and Stinko. I got caught up in it myself. Its nice to think that you just signed a beast in March only to come to the realization in September that a bust was actually signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back