PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign WR Anthony Gonzalez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree almost completely. However, I can see us making yet another effort to draft a wide receiver. After all, we can afford the luxury of giving him a year to develop (de ja vu anyone?).

1) I think that we are keeping Gonzalez unless he is on IR before the season starts.

2) I also expect us to re-sign Branch and for us to keep one of Branch or Ocho. If Gonzalez isn't healthy, then Branch can take his roster spot.

3) I expect us to take yet another shot at finding a wide receiver in the draft. If he is drafted early, he will get a 7th WR spot and will likely be inactive all year. If he is drafted later, he will either get that 7th spot or be put on the Practice Squad.

So we have 4 'locks' for 6 wr slots, Lloyd, Welker + 2 versatile ST/WR guys Edleman & Slater. Which leaves:

Branch (who will be signed), Ocho, Underwood, Gonzalvez (plus Draft pick?) competing for 2 spots.

Will be a very competitive camp, I would guess Branch and Gonzalez.

I don't see a high DP on a WR just some camp fodder guys (and hope one becomes Cruz :D

Last edited:
WOW. No one has said anything of the sort. Nothing like being a jackarse with your asinine exaggerations.

The MOST anyone has said is that this is a low risk/high reward type move as long as the contract reflects the same.

YOU, on the other hand, have done nothing but trash the move and act like a fool.

This is no surprise coming out of you.

You told us last season how great Taylor Price was going to be. What a fool.

Potential = Gonzalezs very best season.

I recall all the hoopla last off season when the Pats got Haynesworth and Stinko. I got caught up in it myself. Its nice to think that you just signed a beast in March only to come to the realization in September that a bust was actually signed.

A "bust" occurs when the result dramatically fails to meet expectations, since Gonzo is likely only to get the vet minimum I don't see how it's possible for him to be a bust.

Instead of drafting for need, you draft best player available. I liked drafting Solder, but question how much he helped last season. Most NE 1st round picks have more of an impact in their 1st season than Solder did.

Quite possibly the dumbest thing that has been written here in some time.

Quite possibly the dumbest thing that has been written here in some time.

Ditto.

#1: Gonzo could easily be cut with no hesitation.

#2: If the best player available is a WR, this signing will have no affect on picking that player.

#3: Edelman is 25 y/o, and plays on offense, defense, KR, PR, K coverage and P coverage... he's not going to be cut.

#4: Slater counts against the reciever "tally" as much as Izzo counted as a LB. Anything he gives other than ST is a bonus.

#5: Branch is MUCH more valuable to this offense than Johnson. Plus, he's 2 years younger. Hopefully Branch will re-sign and Chad will get cut first (If either of them are out).

#6: Assuming Branch is back, and based on what I'm saying about Edelman and Slater, we would only have have 5 pure receivers on the roster... Lloyd, Welker, Underwood, Branch, Ocho. There is plenty of room for more competition.

Like bringing (more) sand to the beach. :rolleyes:

How many more yards than 5000 does Brady have to throw now, since it seems the defense is an afterthought?

The defense is only an afterthought in a thread specifically about a Wide Receiver. There are plenty other threads with posters giving their opinions on what we need there.

Like bringing (more) sand to the beach. :rolleyes:

How many more yards than 5000 does Brady have to throw now, since it seems the defense is an afterthought?

Agree that it's OT, but I'm hoping a for a monster defensive draft this year (but not holding my breath, since trying to figure out a pattern in BB's draft approach is futile). Hopefully he sees a couple of Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, or Mayo-types out there who he thinks are worth of trading up for.

Ian R. Rapoport ‏ @RapSheet Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
According to the NFLPA site, the Patriots signed WR Anthony Gonzalez to a one-year deal for $701,000

Ian R. Rapoport ‏ @RapSheet Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
According to the NFLPA site, the Patriots signed WR Anthony Gonzalez to a one-year deal for $701,000

Saw that. Hopefully little to none of that is guaranteed.

I had Gonzalez as a FA potential WR if he can stay healthy he would surpass anything Branch did here. Anthony Gonzalez is a exceptional route runner and learning that Colt Offense under Manning is nothing to sneeze at when he played he always palyed well...love the signing.

2012 NFL Minimum Player Salaries (x1000)

Rookie - $390
1 year - $465
2 yrs - $540
3 yrs - $615
4-6 yrs - $700
7-9 yrs - $825
10+ yrs - $925

Saw that. Hopefully little to none of that is guaranteed.

Nothing is guaranteed. That is all salary. And it's a split contract per Reiss.

Mike Reiss ‏ @MikeReiss

On that Anthony Gonzalez 1-year deal, it includes $15,000 workout bonus and a split in the event of injury ($368,000).

Last edited:
I had Gonzalez as a FA potential WR if he can stay healthy he would surpass anything Branch did here. Anthony Gonzalez is a exceptional route runner and learning that Colt Offense under Manning is nothing to sneeze at when he played he always palyed well...love the signing.

That's ridiculous. And the Colts offense under Manning wasn't complicated. What it did require was athleticism, precision route running and health. What it didn't require was the ability to make pre snap reads (Manning made those at the line) and post snap adjustments on the fly. You just ran the route per his pre snap call. So it was about talent whereas this one is moreso about capacity (football brain).

That is why he is here on a one year veteran minimum split contract.

This guy is a no risk shot in the dark. History say he can't stay healthy, if it works fine, but don't count on thsi guy making it out of training camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back