PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Christian Gonzalez named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month

I would say that Buffalo is hugely improved at WR as opposed to back then. They ran out Diggs, Davis and McKenzie against us. They lost McKenzie but now you add Kincaid, Harty and Cook out of the backfield, and their passing game has more ammunition.

Buffalo's weakness is their DBs. They are long in the tooth and rely a lot on veteran knowledge, but they have lost speed. Unfortunately, the Patriots are not the team to exploit Buffalo's problems in the D-backfield.
Demario should help us.... It's just about time....

The physical skills are in a way expected. The more I think on it, the more I really am impressed by his ability to process what he's seeing and react accordingly. I would think the mental side is where rookies would have the most difficulty, but he's doing exceptionally well.
Another thing I really like is his even-keel temperament. Never too high never too low. Perfect for a shutdown cb. Reminds me of Gilmore in that sense. Unusual for a rookie

Another thing I really like is his even-keel temperament. Never too high never too low. Perfect for a shutdown cb. Reminds me of Gilmore in that sense. Unusual for a rookie
Of course, being a true Boston sports fan, if this were the late 80's / early 90's I'd being thinking "Great, we get a superstar in the making who will probably go bat-**** crazy after the season is done."

Love that he is quiet and not a showboat.
Lets his play do the talking
Last 3 games that talk has been deafening

Having a shutdown corner is much more valuable than having a dominant pass rusher. I still don’t understand why the player salary market doesn’t reflect this.

Having a shutdown corner is much more valuable than having a dominant pass rusher. I still don’t understand why the player salary market doesn’t reflect this.
Simple really, you are talking as a football fan who sees it as a game. You understand the value of a corner you dont see on tv that gets no stats because his guy is shut down and taken out of the game. Now think like an owner. This isn't a game its entertainment and my average consumer doesnt know his ass from his elbow. What gets more fans in the stands, the guy who runs around alot glued to another mans hip, or the guy who blows up and lays out the opposing teams best player? Pass rush is easy to see and visually satisfying to the blood thirsty mob, not to mention easy to quantify and debate. I just added 16 sacks to the yearly total by signing stud pass rusher x. Much harder to do with the shut down corner.

Well done to the young man , just how on earth did he last until we picked.

Pre-Draft, I though he'd be long gone, but honestly on the night, once the Raiders picked the Texas Tech kid, I thought there was a good chance he could drop. I do wonder if we would have picked him had the Steelers not wanted Jones so badly and traded up, as Jones was supposedly high on the Pats own board, but that's for another day.

Let's hope he keeps this up and continues learning and improving.

I never fully appreciated what "fluid hips" were in a CB until watching Gonzo...

It's crazy how smooth he is in transition. The INT in coverage against Hill was absolutely text-book in terms of maintaining speed when changing direction.

Pre-Draft, I though he'd be long gone, but honestly on the night, once the Raiders picked the Texas Tech kid, I thought there was a good chance he could drop. I do wonder if we would have picked him had the Steelers not wanted Jones so badly and traded up, as Jones was supposedly high on the Pats own board, but that's for another day.

Let's hope he keeps this up and continues learning and improving.
They would have taken Forbes if Gonzalez wasn't there. I'd rather have Gonzalez than Forbes but Forbes is more in the mold of Trevon Diggs and the gambling type of CBs, not like Gilmore and Revis.

Think we have a rich people problem now: hoping all the praise and early success doesn't go to his head.

As a side note, can you imagine how many pages long this thread would be if Gonzo totally sucked. Some posters just love misery imo.

Douglas still looks a bit lost to me. Falling down as he catches passes. Very athletic but has a long way to go IMO.
i don’t think they should let rookies returning punts even if they’re burners until later in the season to build some confidence and not get easily rattled if they happen to muff one unless they have noone doing it

To me he looks like Ty Law, just the way he runs and moves out there.

Patriots CB Christian Gonzalez won NFL defensive rookie of the month for September. Well deserved after holding up against A.J. Brown, Devonta Smith, Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle and Garrett Wilson.

16 total tackles, one sack, one interception and three passes defensed.

Strong start for the kid. :thumbsup: He has a very promising future.

I was excited for the Gonzalez pick in round 1. It feels like we got away with a steal there.

I'm just not so excited about the rest of the Patriots draft... BB really failed to address our offensive needs and it shows. The Patriots' 17.3 PPG and the 26th ranked scoring offense is not going to win you a lot of games.

I've started to at gonzo in the same way sauce is regarded and other top CBs in the league today. They don't neccessary have the INT'S, as OCs and QBs show them respect not throwing in thier direction. (IMO) I'm interested to see Gonzo on Diggs.. he's been a problem for us.

I think Gardener was closer to a finished product coming out, but Gonzalez has an even higher upside, which is saying something, because Gardener is really good. And I don’t there is a team in football that is better at developing CB’s than the Patriots.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back