PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Christian Gonzalez named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month

Someone who can neutralize DIggs can completely flip that matchup for us.

Buffalo also isn't as deep at WR as they were two years ago when they thrashed us. We're also way deeper at CB now than we were then.
I would say that Buffalo is hugely improved at WR as opposed to back then. They ran out Diggs, Davis and McKenzie against us. They lost McKenzie but now you add Kincaid, Harty and Cook out of the backfield, and their passing game has more ammunition.

Buffalo's weakness is their DBs. They are long in the tooth and rely a lot on veteran knowledge, but they have lost speed. Unfortunately, the Patriots are not the team to exploit Buffalo's problems in the D-backfield.

Someone who can neutralize DIggs can completely flip that matchup for us.

Buffalo also isn't as deep at WR as they were two years ago when they thrashed us. We're also way deeper at CB now than we were then.
If we get them back from the hospital.

Well deserved Gonzo reminds me of Ty Law so well rounded for a Rookie CB.
You watch him, and he makes it look effortless. In a way, I think of Moss - he rarely (if ever) looked like he was going all out, but he was. Just a natural, smooth athlete.

It's only three games into what is, I hope, a long career. That said, he could wind up being the best DB ever to wear a Pats uniform. Better than Law, Clayborn, or Haynes.

Very satisfied with the pick, and the kid looks great. Happy for him, well deserved.

Are rookies only eligible for rookie awards? There isn’t a cb in the NFL this year that can boast what Gonzales has done. He should of won both if thats possible.
Agreed just imagine if we had a WR comparable on offense to what Gonzo does on defense!

You watch him, and he makes it look effortless. In a way, I think of Moss - he rarely (if ever) looked like he was going all out, but he was. Just a natural, smooth athlete.

It's only three games into what is, I hope, a long career. That said, he could wind up being the best DB ever to wear a Pats uniform. Better than Law, Clayborn, or Haynes.
I love everything about this kid his attitude, his work ethic, his confidence. The leaders on defense rave about gonzo. Law played in a different era. Ty himself said he wouldn't be able to play in today's game. Gonzo is what a lockdown CB is in 2023 NFL.

This is precisely my thought on watching him. Effortless indeed and hopefully will only get better.
Super draft pick it must be said imo.

I never fully appreciated what "fluid hips" were in a CB until watching Gonzo...

Well deserved Gonzo reminds me of Ty Law so well rounded for a Rookie CB.
Ty was a very physical press man corner who got in your face and punished receivers all game long. if he got his hands on you, you were done. Thing is you could get separation on him if he missed. I don’t see any Ty in Gonzo, I mean he is a willing tackler and technically very sound but physical? Not the word I would use. Smooth fits much better IMO. Gonzo reminds me much more of prime Revis, not saying he is there (yet) but stylistically he just has that ability to run the receivers routes for them and he just glides along glued to their hip. He doesn’t take away a route so much as his guy is just never open.

Let's not go overboard just yet.
Gonzo was a great draft pick. He has been better than any of us dreamed. One of the best cbs in the nfl right now.
He has all the tools and the makeup to achieve greatness. No question.
But Law and Haynes are Hall of Famers.
And Haynes is considered by many to be the greatest cb in nfl history. He gets picked by experts for that title almost as often as Prime.
Gonzo has a long way to go to be in that rarefied air. But when you watch him he does remind me a bit of Haynes, effortless but with blinding speed.
I also love the toughness he has shown.
Great,great draft pick

Let's not go overboard just yet.
Gonzo was a great draft pick. He has been better than any of us dreamed. One of the best cbs in the nfl right now.
He has all the tools and the makeup to achieve greatness. No question.
But Law and Haynes are Hall of Famers.
And Haynes is considered by many to be the greatest cb in nfl history. He gets picked by experts for that title almost as often as Prime.
Gonzo has a long way to go to be in that rarefied air. But when you watch him he does remind me a bit of Haynes, effortless but with blinding speed.
I also love the toughness he has shown.
Great,great draft pick
That's why I said I hope - for a long career that continues on this path.

No gold jacket yet for the young man.

Ty was a very physical press man corner who got in your face and punished receivers all game long. if he got his hands on you, you were done. Thing is you could get separation on him if he missed. I don’t see any Ty in Gonzo, I mean he is a willing tackler and technically very sound but physical? Not the word I would use. Smooth fits much better IMO. Gonzo reminds me much more of prime Revis, not saying he is there (yet) but stylistically he just has that ability to run the receivers routes for them and he just glides along glued to their hip. He doesn’t take away a route so much as his guy is just never open.
Yeah Ty was a totally different skillset.
Gonzo has elements of Haynes and Revis.
But he has also shown physicality and toughness. That was a question some had on draft day. Question answered.
Willing tackler. Can hit you.

That's why I said I hope - for a long career that continues on this path.

No gold jacket yet for the young man.
Sorry Chevy, I must've read over that part.
My bad

Yeah Ty was a totally different skillset.
Gonzo has elements of Haynes and Revis.
But he has also shown physicality and toughness. That was a question some had on draft day. Question answered.
Willing tackler. Can hit you.
The physical skills are in a way expected. The more I think on it, the more I really am impressed by his ability to process what he's seeing and react accordingly. I would think the mental side is where rookies would have the most difficulty, but he's doing exceptionally well.

He's well beyond my expectations in coverage. I thought he looked a little thin but he plays much bigger and should be even stronger in a year or two. Great choice.
Hope he plays great and retires a patriot!!!

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back