PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign Tim Tebow

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when is training camp?

Most people are overcomplicating this. In simple terms:

• Tebow was a highly accomplished college player.
  • Tebow had some success at one point in the NFL.
  • Tebow was available for negligible assets (draft picks, cap room).

So why not try him out and see how it goes?

I respect your opinion as well, but I think people are unrealistic with this idea that Brady doesn't fell normal human emotion and will just be somehow immune to the Tebow circus rolling onto his turf.

Can you think of any franchise QB in this league who would be fine with being quizzed about his 3rd string backup, or having the pro shop sell more of the backup's jersey than his, or having Sportscenter run promo shots of the Hall of Fame Coach and the 3rd stringer rather than the Hall of Fame Coach and the Hall of Fame QB? Particularly when the 3rd stringer in question is literally the worst quarterback in the league and not fit to be on the same field?

And what's worse, no other franchise QB would be expected to endure that the way Brady is. This show tremendous lack of respect for what Brady has done and sacrificed for this team. Shades of Joe Montana/Steve Young, except the 'Steve Young' in this case is awful.

Agree with all of this. Brady goes out of his way to restructure his contract (again) for the betterment of the team, and they reward him by losing his favorite receiver in a botched FA endeavor, and now this. I don't even want to think about McDaniels wasting part of his time trying to develop Tebow or work on special packages just to get this guy in a game when Brady's offense needs as much time as possible to work on clicking with its new personnel. Brady will NEVER say anything explicit about the situation, but give him some sodium pentathol and I bet he would absolutely rail on this organization right now. He has remarked TWICE now (once about Welker, now about Tebow) that "nothing surprises him anymore in this league." That's code for, "WTF is going on here?"

Overall, the moves this organization has made this offseason make me wonder about how they're going to treat Brady over the coming years as his play declines. We all know that in Foxboro "no one is bigger than the team" and I wouldn't be shocked to see Brady have a very bitter and unceremonious exit from the team in a few years when "differences" between him and the organization potentially come to a head.

5.4 was yards per carry, which is excellent, his passing per attempts , which is what I think you refer to is 6.7 not bad
I think you should educate yourself more on tebow and pay less attention to Merril hoge.
then we can have a more intelligent conversation.

When you say a QB's YPC is 5.4 then most people are going to assume you are referring to his Yards Per Catch because a QB's Yards Per Carry doesn't mean squat, and the fact that you have to cite it to support a case for him playing QB demonstrates just how weak your "case" is.

As for Merrill Hoge i haven't seen anything from him and rarely watch ESPN, especially during the summer. My opinion of Tebow is based on what I have seen and that made it abundantly clear that he cannot play QB for the Patriots. he may be an H-back but he's not a QB.

Most people are overcomplicating this. In simple terms:

• Tebow was a highly accomplished college player.
  • Tebow had some success at one point in the NFL.
  • Tebow was available for negligible assets (draft picks, cap room).

So why not try him out and see how it goes?

You forgot:
[*]If they can make Tebow a useful outfit, it just clowns the JEST even further.

When you say a QB's YPC is 5.4 then most people are going to assume you are referring to his Yards Per Catch because a QB's Yards Per Carry doesn't mean squat, and the fact that you have to cite it to support a case for him playing QB demonstrates just how weak your "case" is.

As for Merrill Hoge i haven't seen anything from him and rarely watch ESPN, especially during the summer. My opinion of Tebow is based on what I have seen and that made it abundantly clear that he cannot play QB for the Patriots. he may be an H-back but he's not a QB.

well Like I said before its kind of useless to debate anything as he might not even make the roster . Maybe he has improved , maybe he hasn't . I wish I can say I rarely watch ESPN , you are doing yourself a favor in not watching , I am a glutton for punishment.

All these new Tebow lovers and haters on the site really annoy me.

Oh wait these are all the regular posters:bricks:

I've come full circle on this. I'm now looking at this as a great signing. Think about it, instead of Brady at QB we can have Tebow throwing the ball, instead of Gronk, Ballard or Hernandez at TE- Tebow, at RB, you guessed it - Tebow! No need for Ridley anymore, Vereen won't be catching any balls out of the backfield - Tebow will, he'll be the third down pick too. He could probably punt too, Isn't that what someone suggested? - Hey maybe he can kick too, kickoffs and field goals! Think of the matchup nightmares other teams will have with Brady, Gronk, Hernandez, Ridley or Vereen off the field - they won't know what to do! JMD can spent countless hours devising ridiculous gameplans that will result in taking our best offense weapons off the field and replacing them with his little pet project - screw winning games - it's time for countless unnecessary trick plays and a little redemption for little JMD.

Hey, wait a minute. Has anyone suggested he play defense yet? Maybe they can confuse the other team by replacing Mayo... no wait, Wilfork with Tebow... Yeah, that's the ticket.

well Like I said before its kind of useless to debate anything as he might not even make the roster . Maybe he has improved , maybe he hasn't . I wish I can say I rarely watch ESPN , you are doing yourself a favor in not watching , I am a glutton for punishment.

Agreed. imo he would be much better served trying to get a job with one of the read/react teams because that's what his skills are best suited to, and fortunately for him there has been a move to that type of offense the past few years, which makes more opportunities for him.

When i watch football news now it's NFLN and even that is rare during the summer.

Please list for me the #3 quarterbacks available right now as free agents who are clearly better than the one we signed, and don't just say "all of them" without any names (a copout).

Please list names and tell me what they have accomplished and why you think that they are clearly better.

Include Kafka if you wish. What specific skills from Kafka have you seen that made replacing him on the roster a absolute abomination.

And please don't say "Oh I'd rather get a pass rusher since we only keep 2 QBs anyway" . With 90 players in camp you need at LEAST 3 QBS to get on-field reps for all of the extra DBs, TEs, and WRs.

No one person still wailing about the signing has answered the question above, so I guess everyone's list of better options at 3rd string QB contains zero names.

----

It was funny listening to Dan Patrick on Sports this morning as he praised Belichick and laughed about the contrast between a Jets approach and a Patriots approach.

He said the media horde was cut about in half from Tuesday to Wednesday due to the information blackout on Tuesday. Then he played clips from Belichick both days and commented about the mediots fleeing Foxboro in droves because there is literally nothing for them to report, and at some point all the speculative analysis pieces are written and without facts there is nothing more to say and their bosses say "get the hell out of there".

Look for the circus to die down a little more every single day.

Sure you will find people making a buck selling T-shirts on the internet and ESPN & NFL Network talking heads filling the offseason doldrums with re-hashed crap until their ratings start to suffer from lack of freshness, but "Tebowmania" in Foxboro will not become significant. It might make an uptick if he makes the roster or as a Jets game approaches, but it just isn't going to be the madness that the Jets embraced.

I'm now looking at this as a great signing.

Think about it, instead of Mike Kafka at QB we can have Tebow.

instead of Jamarcus Russell, you guessed it - Tebow!

instead of Matt Painter, you guessed it - Tebow!

...Yeah, that's the ticket.

^^this quote with corrections in bold reflects what happened, as opposed to idiotic rants about some plan to take Brady or Gronk off the field.

chill people, it was a change at 3rd QB

^^this quote with corrections in bold reflects what happened, as opposed to idiotic rants about some plan to take Brady or Gronk off the field.

chill people, it was a change at 3rd QB

Right, because that was clearly a serious post. And you're telling other people to chill.

Brady will NEVER say anything explicit about the situation, but give him some sodium pentathol and I bet he would absolutely rail on this organization right now. He has remarked TWICE now (once about Welker, now about Tebow) that "nothing surprises him anymore in this league." That's code for, "WTF is going on here?"

Great post, and I think what you wrote above is one of the most important aspects of this story from a fan perspective. Only an idiot or a liar would claim that Brady isn't pissed about losing Welker after he re-structured, or that the Tebow signing isn't at the very least an annoyance.

But hey, to some people around here who for years have thought that Brady walks on water and IS the Franchise, all the sudden what Brady thinks or does is now somehow completely irrelevant.

Josh seems to have Belichick snowed and we're beginning of the post-Brady/BB transition take place. It's obvious now that McD has been the "coach in waiting" for the NE Patriots. If the Pats win another Super Bowl in the next couple of years then the plan will go on without a hitch. Only problem is, unlike in the past it appears that the organization is sort of flailing right now, at least on the surface.

It could all work out and Josh could end up being the right guy for the job. It could also go spectacularly wrong and Josh will be permanently on the NFL unemployment line and there will be zero more rings for Brady and Belichick.

No one person still wailing about the signing has answered the question above, so I guess everyone's list of better options at 3rd string QB contains zero names.

----

It was funny listening to Dan Patrick on Sports this morning as he praised Belichick and laughed about the contrast between a Jets approach and a Patriots approach.

He said the media horde was cut about in half from Tuesday to Wednesday due to the information blackout on Tuesday. Then he played clips from Belichick both days and commented about the mediots fleeing Foxboro in droves because there is literally nothing for them to report, and at some point all the speculative analysis pieces are written and without facts there is nothing more to say and their bosses say "get the hell out of there".

Look for the circus to die down a little more every single day.

Sure you will find people making a buck selling T-shirts on the internet and ESPN & NFL Network talking heads filling the offseason doldrums with re-hashed crap until their ratings start to suffer from lack of freshness, but "Tebowmania" in Foxboro will not become significant. It might make an uptick if he makes the roster or as a Jets game approaches, but it just isn't going to be the madness that the Jets embraced.

When it comes to football, Dan Patrick has as much credibility as a paper bag. Seriously, he makes Peter King look like Paul Brown.

It could all work out and Josh could end up being the right guy for the job. It could also go spectacularly wrong and Josh will be permanently on the NFL unemployment line and there will be zero more rings for Brady and Belichick.

You conclude all this because the Pats let Welker walk and then signed Danny Amendola and Tebow?

I think the WR changes were necessary. The organization was getting tired of Welkers big drops in the postseason. They were tried of Lloyd instantly dropping to the ground into the fetal position after every catch. A change needed to be made. Yes drafting two rookie wideouts and taking on vet castoffs is risky but it needed to be done.

As for Tebow. Just call it a brainfart. But I don't see what harm he can do sitting on the bench. If he really is a 'good soldier' at worst we have an Edelman backup. I'd rather go to Edelman over Tebow if both Brady and Mallet go down if it comes down to that.

I haven't been around in a while, and I haven't read all 800 plus posts in this thread. I'm sure I don't have an original thought or the ability to say anything that anyone else hasn't. But, since I'd like to get my thoughts off my chest, here they are. (1) I hate that I have to love Tim F-ing Tebow. But, he's a Patriot now, so I do. That's the gig, and that's that. (2) Can he rush the quarterback? (3) I wonder whether Belichick has been secretly crunching the numbers and has decided that going for 2 on every PAT is the high percentage play, and he's brought in Tebow just for that purpose and so Tom doesn't get hurt. At least then, or if it's something like that, I'd understand this move as being quasi-rational.

Other than all that, I have nothing to say except that I am totally and completely mystified by Mr. Belichick.

I I wonder whether Belichick has been secretly crunching the numbers and has decided that going for 2 on every PAT is the high percentage play, and he's brought in Tebow just for that purpose and so Tom doesn't get hurt. At least then, or if it's something like that, I'd understand this move as being quasi-rational.

Ahhh yeah. Or it could have been just an upgrade to the #3 QB position.

Great post, and I think what you wrote above is one of the most important aspects of this story from a fan perspective. Only an idiot or a liar would claim that Brady isn't pissed about losing Welker after he re-structured, or that the Tebow signing isn't at the very least an annoyance.

But hey, to some people around here who for years have thought that Brady walks on water and IS the Franchise, all the sudden what Brady thinks or does is now somehow completely irrelevant.

Josh seems to have Belichick snowed and we're beginning of the post-Brady/BB transition take place. It's obvious now that McD has been the "coach in waiting" for the NE Patriots. If the Pats win another Super Bowl in the next couple of years then the plan will go on without a hitch. Only problem is, unlike in the past it appears that the organization is sort of flailing right now, at least on the surface.

Agreed. Tom is Belichick's man, and Tebow is McDaniel's man. If Tebow had been allowed to flame out, McDaniel would forever be that idiot who spent a first round pick on the guy who can't throw. Salvaging Tebow somehow is critical to the name McDaniel wants to make for himself in the NFL. So is the attention he should spend on the Tom and the new receivers going to be fractured as he try to rehab his pet? Hope not. But those of you acting like Tom is totally cool with this mess--or doesn't understand what this means-- must be blind, because he's clearly curt and agitated already with what's happening.

Agreed. Salvaging Tebow somehow is critical to the name McDaniel wants to make for himself in the NFL.

Ahhh yeah. Or it could have been just an upgrade to the #3 QB position.

There are a couple people here who are theorizing that Belichick is so clueless that Josh Mac is making decisions to salvage his own legacy by bringing in Tebow.

Really? Josh secretly brought Tebow in before Belichick noticed? That's what we are going with? Love the move or hate the move, but the move is all on Belichick. Period.

Sure, you could choose to believe that Belichick has gone senile and is just a figurehead while Josh is running the show, or.......perhaps Belichick actually wants Tebow here?

Belichick may make some bad decisions, but HE makes the decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back