PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign ILB Paris Lenon [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: LB Paris Lenon Close to Agreement w/ Patriots

blog.mlive.com/lionsinsider/2007/06/scouting_report_paris_lenon.html

It's an old story, but I liked the comments about Lenon's consistency. He's a guy who does not make big mistakes. Really that is all I want to see out of a rotation ILB (in this rotation, barring injury,a guy like Lenon is not going to see more than 10-15% of the total snaps.

Agreed - mistake free football and a smart LB play is what BB demands - pLUS, the guy is supposed to be good at covering receivers out of the backfield - seems to me our LB pass coverage needs help.

Linebacker Paris Lenon has agreed to contract terms to join the Patriots, his agent said.

"Paris is excited to finally be a part of a winning organization and eager to contribute in whatever way Coach Belichick and his staff see fit. Now, quite simply, he's eager to go to work," Jon Persch of Allegiant Management told the Globe this morning.

Lenon (6-2, 235) adds depth to the Patriots' inside linebacker corps. The unit was thinned after third-round draft choice Tyrone McKenzie tore his ACL in rookie minicamp, which will sideline him for the season. The Patriots had also waived 2008 sixth-round draft choice Bo Ruud earlier in the offseason.

Lenon enters his eighth NFL season and leaves the NFC North for the first time, as he's played for the Packers (2002-2005) and Lions (2006-2008). He was the leading tackler on last year's winless Lions squad, playing middle linebacker in a 4-3 alignment.

In New England, the 31-year-old Lenon will be making a switch to a 3-4 scheme. His performance on special teams also figures to be a factor in earning a roster spot.

The Patriots return Jerod Mayo (2nd year) and Tedy Bruschi (14th year) as starters at inside linebacker, with Gary Guyton (2nd year) the top backup. Antonio Appleby, Eric Alexander and Vinny Ciurciu rounded out the depth chart.

The agreement with Lenon likely takes the Patriots out of the mix for Pisa Tinoisamoa, a free agent who visited with the club Tuesday.

Linebacker Paris Lenon joins Patriots - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Monty Biesel Mk2.
Beisel was an exceptional athlete transitioning from star ST player and former DE to ILB. He was arrogant, overran plays and was paired with Chad Brown.

Lenon is a starting NFL MLB who led his team in tackles. He is apparently a character guy. He is transitioning from MLB to ILB and when he is on the field will be paired with Mayo. If he starts, he is backed up by Bruschi and Guyton.

I don't see any comparison.

Nice rumor.

The Pats do not need a top starter, and didn't compete for one at the beginning of free agency. They really need depth. This guy appears to be a decent option for a third or fourth ILB, and can likely play some special teams.

The question isn't is he better than Bart Scott or Tedy Bruschi or Gary Guyton, but is he better than Antonio Appleby or Eric Alexander. If he is better than one of those two, then he makes the team better. I've never noticed Paris Lenon, but I have watched Alexander play, and I'll take the devil I don't know.

Re: Linebacker Paris Lenon joins Patriots

Welcome aboard... though I wanted Pisa :)

Wow, he played in all 16 games every year in the league, never missed a start since becoming the full-time stater his last year in Green Bay.

This helps ease my injury concerns about Tedy, my fear being that he would have to play too many snaps. Now he can be subbed often (or be the sub).

Anybody know his contract status?

Does each game count as 1 hour or 3 hours

Lenon appears to be a mediocre starter. But that makes him fine as the fourth ILB. He won't star, but he won't be a galring hole either, if called on.
Exactly. People who want pro-bowlers as our fourth options just aren't being realistic.

Having a guy who is only an average starter be your fourth option is not bad depth.

Remember, he is competing with Eric Alexander for a position, not Jerod Mayo.

I don't know anything about the guy except that he also plays special teams and has a lot of tackles.

Not that Detroit's defense was very good last year, but the guy made a loat of tackles. BB seems to be picking up the best parts of Detroit's D when you include Bodden.

I'm not going to get too excited about it, but depth and competition are always good. Will help push guys like Appleby, etc, to see what they've really got.

Don't forget if he doesn't work out he can always be cut during TC. I am hopeful that he will add some needed depth and play hard on ST. That's about all we can expect from what I have read here on the board.

I'm hoping he makes it because he seems like a hard worker, we need the depth and experience, and he's got a really cool name.:D

Don't forget if he doesn't work out he can always be cut during TC. I am hopeful that he will add some needed depth and play hard on ST. That's about all we can expect from what I have read here on the board.

Like you say, he was added for depth. He may be the second

coming of Monte Beisel but he might surprise and make the team.

First player to go from 0-16 to 16-0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes