PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign ILB Paris Lenon [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Linebacker Paris Lenon joins Patriots

Started every game last 3 years should say something of his physical
endurance. Being main man in middle gives him a ton of experience.
He can tackle!
He was 12th in league for total tackles( Mayo was tenth)
and 26th for solo tackles! He is productive.
Wecome on board Paris!

He can tackle!
Wecome on board Paris!

Being "productive" in a terrible defense doesn't mean you're any good, especially for a MLB. Terrible defenses spend more time on the field, so theres a lot more opportunity to rack up tackles. A tackle after a 7 yard run is not a good thing.

Re: LB Paris Lenon Close to Agreement w/ Patriots

Lenon appears to be a mediocre starter. But that makes him fine as the fourth ILB. He won't star, but he won't be a glaring hole either, if called on.

Bill fills another depth position, not with a scrub, but with an ex-starter veteran. Or more correctly, lets an ex-starrter veteran compete for the fourth ILB position with a few UDFAs.

:D:D:D:):cool:

He can tackle!
Wecome on board Paris!

:ditto: He's a welcome addition! Interesting that Reiss notes this:
Lenon could challenge for playing time next to Mayo, pushing Bruschi and Guyton.
Bru will take him under his wing:D plus the fact Lenon came from a 4-3 again you sorta wonder if BB's going to be mixing it up out there, something I really hope we do,given the fact so many teams are hopping on the 3-4 bandwagon lately.

Anyway this is sweet news! Guyton,Mayo,Lenon/Bru plus Appelby,Vinny C. and Alexander...we got depth!

Exactly. People who want pro-bowlers as our fourth options just aren't being realistic.

Having a guy who is only an average starter be your fourth option is not bad depth.

Remember, he is competing with Eric Alexander for a position, not Jerod Mayo.

I don't know anything about the guy except that he also plays special teams and has a lot of tackles.

Not that Detroit's defense was very good last year, but the guy made a loat of tackles. BB seems to be picking up the best parts of Detroit's D when you include Bodden.

I couldn't agree more. Posters who believe the Pats can pick up a guy with ideal size, strength and speed at this point in the off season are not being realistic. I also think that the game has changed enough so that linebackers with ideal size and strength, but with poor coverage skills are at least as great a liability, as the smaller guys who can not plug the hole as well but have better coverage skills. You have to pick youir poison. At least the faster guys can usually give you better special teams play. According to the short blurb from Reiss, this guy plays more special teams than Pia T, which is what the team will be realistically be getting at this point.

I am not sure Lenon can beat out Alexander, but he should be able to create strong competition for a roster spot, which makes the team better.

Last edited:

I'll take an average starter opposite Mayo at ILB. Especially one who is known for intelligence, durability, and work ethic.
I agree...the team is looking for depth NOT one to start...there are good things here as you stated...and that he comes at a cheap price also adds into the equation. That he makes a LOT of tackles is quite good..some who are backups are not great tacklers. Add in ST play and DING!! they may have a winner!!

Last edited:

Paris and Pierre. Our LB corps is so incredibly French.

They would not have signed him if they didn't think he would help the team.
Im down with it :D

So we now have two defensive starters from the 0-16 Lions? Brilliant! :)

I suppose this guy is a okay depth signing as if he even makes the team he's really just a one-year stop gap until McKenzie is ready in '10.

If he's any good, he'll stay next year when Bruschi retires.

So we now have two defensive starters from the 0-16 Lions? Brilliant! :)

I suppose this guy is a okay depth signing as if he even makes the team he's really just a one-year stop gap until McKenzie is ready in '10.

Paris and Pierre. Our LB corps is so incredibly French.

Vivre la France! Voulons le bon temps roulez...

This article and the comments below it made me chuckle.

Rub your eyes and read: Patriots, ex-Lions linebacker Paris Lenon reach terms on contract - Highlight Reel

The New England Patriots signed linebacker Paris Lenon to a contract.

The New England Patriots, recognized as one of the premier organizations in sports, signed linebacker Paris Lenon to a contract.

The New England Patriots, recognized as one of the premier organizations in sports, signed former Detroit Lions linebacker Paris Lenon to a contract.

The New England Patriots, recognized as one of the premier organizations in sports, signed former Detroit Lions linebacker, and key contributor to the first 0-16 season in NFL history, Paris Lenon to a contract.

Being "productive" in a terrible defense doesn't mean you're any good, especially for a MLB. Terrible defenses spend more time on the field, so theres a lot more opportunity to rack up tackles. A tackle after a 7 yard run is not a good thing.

Good point. Tackle numbers can be decieving however, his job is to tackle and he does it well wether its 7 yards downfield or not. It will be interesting to see where he fits. I see a solid role for him on 3rd downs, passing situations, and as a core special teamer.

I don't understand Rotoworld's analysis. If signed, they say he would compete as the third MLB behind Bruschi and Mayo. Lenon had 121 tackles last year, so the guy can play. At this point, Bruschi is the third option with Lenon and Guyton battling to start next to Mayo. I just can't see Bruschi starting this year because his play has really regressed.

Hey Bro, Just wondering how many years it has been that you have been saying Bruschi cant play anymore? it has been at least 3 years huh?

So being the 12th leading tackler in the NFL is a bad thing, and an ILB making a lot of tackles shows that the team has a bad defense.

Interesting.

So since Mayo was the 10th leading tackler, it stands to reason that he is a worse player than Lenon. I guess I can live with signing a guy who is better than Mayo. Looks like a steal to me.

:bricks:

Seriously, a quick check of stats shows that the number of tackles made is not related to a team's record, probably because bad defenses miss tackles and let teams score on five-play drives. Good teams force other teams to score on 12- and 15-yard drives.

My guess is that the biggest determiner of number of tackles made is a teams offense, not defense. When a team goes three-and-out repeatedly, their defense gets to make more tackles.

The Lions made 1155 tackles last year, exactly the same as the Chargers. The superbowl winning Steelers made 1125 tackles.

NFL Stats: by Team Category

Last edited:

Hey Bro, Just wondering how many years it has been that you have been saying Bruschi cant play anymore? it has been at least 3 years huh?

At this point in his career, Bruschi is likely the worst starter on defense.

Soon to be cut. Wish it was a guy we passed on twice, Rey Maualuga

I too would have drafted an ILB early, in my case Laurinitis. However, we didn't, we drafted McKenzie.

Lenon is our #4 ILB. He could get cut, if he is aweful, and Appleby steps up, but this scenario seems unlikely. I do understand that this happened last year with Hobson and Guyton.

Still not over it eh? As for this signing I'm all for it hes been productive in a 4-3 for couple years and will hopefully create some more competition for ILB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back