PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign former Colts RB Joseph Addai

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people are saying either Addai doesn't make the team or Woodhead is a surprise cut, but I think we'll probably just go without a FB again. The offense didn't really suffer when it went without one for the last 3 years (minus the 3 games that Polite was on the roster for). I can't see any of the RBs being cut, either.

Ridley and Vereen are locks for obvious reasons. I see what people are saying about Woodhead, about how Vereen's speed and Addai's catching/blocking make him obsolete, but I think the Patriots value him more than one might suspect. He played a lot of snaps at the expense of "better" running backs like Vereen. Addai will probably stay for his skill in the pass game and to provide a veteran presence. Trying to pass Bolden through waivers is far too risky.

I just feel like the odd ones out are the fullbacks in this offseason.

Woodhead's not going anywhere. McDaniels will have him putting up Sproles numbers next year.

Woodhead is an ace on ST units, combined with his versatility in the run/passing game, he's not going anywhere. He's one of the better change of pace backs in the league.

Men, if there is any "Meh" signing, this one takes the cake.

Huh? This guy was an absolute stud his first couple of years in the league and still has a great deal of talent if he can stay healthy. Combination of injuries, offensive scheme, the way the Colts pretty much abandoned using him, and an O-line that looked like they had never heard of the concept of run-blocking before, and you get a meh-looking RB who might surprise people in our system.

Looks like a Fred Taylor signing which could easily turn out to be the complete opposite. If he's healthy, he's the best back on the team right now.

Addai is a JAG. Even in his prime, he was not a game changer. Decent pass blocker is all i'm hoping for. Time for ridley and vereen to step it up.

I guess we'll see if he ends of being a JAG, you know like sometime after he even gets to put on a Pats uni.

True "game changers" at RB are almost an extinct species. Name more than 5 currently playing and I'll buy you a Milwaukee's Best. I'm sure Bill would love to have an Adrian Peterson if he could but the closest he's ever going to get is by joining a fantasy league.

Last edited:
Low risk high reward.

Adai was the Colts version of Darius Butler only at RB.

He does not need to be a game changer. Tom Brady is a game changer, everyone else just needs to show up.

I can't really see a scenario where Faulk is still a Pat this season. He did not have a big impact last year and is getting old and slow.

Hasn't stopped them from retaining Old Man Branch.

Hasn't stopped them from retaining Old Man Branch.
There was a slight level of production difference between Branch and Faulk in 2011.

Who-so-ever thinks little of this signing should re-adjust their thinking. Right Now Joseph Addai is better than both Ridley and Vereen...yeah i said it! Joseph Addai = All Purpose RB who a Tough runner and a Excellent receiver Brady is going to love him. We haven't had RB with Addai's skill set in a while...he is a double threat and not a one way player like most of our other RB's. When Addai is back there it's going to be harder for the Defense to know what's coming. Daniels is assemblying the Best Patriot Offense ever back there. Wish you good health Joseph Addai this probably means goodbye Kevin Faulk though i bet he will be on Speed dial incase of an injury.

Who-so-ever thinks little of this signing should re-adjust their thinking. Right Now Joseph Addai is better than both Ridley and Vereen...yeah i said it! Joseph Addai = All Purpose RB who a Tough runner and a Excellent receiver Brady is going to love him. We haven't had RB with Addai's skill set in a while...he is a double threat and not a one way player like most of our other RB's.

:confused: Which of the RBs left on the roster is only a "one way threat" and can't catch the ball?

:confused: Which of the RBs left on the roster is only a "one way threat" and can't catch the ball?

Riddley = Pounder/not proven pass cather

Woodhead =Great pass catcher/ not pounder

Vereen = Unknown i don't count on unknowns.

Addai = Riddley and and Woodhead combined.

*Strengths in bold*

Last edited:

Vereen seems like a one way thread, the bench, the PS or the FA roster spot next to Maroney

Huh? This guy was an absolute stud his first couple of years in the league and still has a great deal of talent if he can stay healthy. Combination of injuries, offensive scheme, the way the Colts pretty much abandoned using him, and an O-line that looked like they had never heard of the concept of run-blocking before, and you get a meh-looking RB who might surprise people in our system.

Looks like a Fred Taylor signing which could easily turn out to be the complete opposite. If he's healthy, he's the best back on the team right now.

I guess we'll see if he ends of being a JAG, you know like sometime after he even gets to put on a Pats uni.

True "game changers" at RB are almost an extinct species. Name more than 5 currently playing and I'll buy you a Milwaukee's Best. I'm sure Bill would love to have an Adrian Peterson if he could but the closest he's ever going to get is by joining a fantasy league.

So what is it? you have back to back post, one saying he is a a stud and might be the best back on the team and then in response to me, you saying he might not even make the team?

Addai is a JAG now or more appropriately a JAV (Just Another Veteran), and was never really a "stud" or "great" even when he was in his prime, as others have mentioned. Addai was a reliable back who gets reliable yardage. In terms of game breaking abilities, he was a BGJE, with better receiving skillsets.

Addai is a good veteran backup and a good role model, however, I don't want to see him get any significant time. If he does, then we are in trouble becasue ridely and vereen is not cutting it.

BTW. Game changing running backs? Rice, AP, CJ2K, Foster, MJD.

Forte (who possibly could have been had for one of our #2s this year, but too expensive?).

I'm throwing in Demaro Murray too, for a few games, he carried the Boys on his back.

Last edited:
Vereen seems like a one way thread, the bench, the PS or the FA roster spot next to Maroney

Any particular reason you think so? The kid's only in his second year and was battling injuries last season.

So what is it? you have back to back post, one saying he is a a stud and might be the best back on the team and then in response to me, you saying he might not even make the team?

Addai is a JAG now or more appropriately a JAV (Just Another Veteran), and was never really a "stud" or "great" even when he was in his prime, as others have mentioned. Addai was a reliable back who gets reliable yardage. In terms of game breaking abilities, he was a BGJE, with better receiving skillsets.

Addai is a good veteran backup and a good role model, however, I don't want to see him get any significant time. If he does, then we are in trouble becasue ridely and vereen is not cutting it.

Forte (who possibly could have been had for one of our #2s this year, but too expensive?).

I'm throwing in Demaro Murray too, for a few games, he carried the Boys on his back.

Exactly. This isn't '07 Addai here. If Ridley and Vereen are unable to step into their roles as the top 2 feature backs and we have to rely on Addai to have significant carries, then we are going to rue the day we let Law Firm walk.

Addai is nothing special. Indy drafted him in the 1st round in 2006 and then drafted Brown in the 1st round in 2009. Pizz Poor drafting like that will doom most teams, but the Colts still won because of Manning.

If you have to keep spending high round picks on the same position, then something is screwed up. But, I understand that every wayward UFA the Pats bring in and sign up as being "Gold Jerry, Gold!"

Any particular reason you think so? The kid's only in his second year and was battling injuries last season.

Well Vereen failed to make All-Pro in his first year. It's really the only logical conclusion one can come to.

:snob:

Last edited:
Exactly. This isn't '07 Addai here. If Ridley and Vereen are unable to step into their roles as the top 2 feature backs and we have to rely on Addai to have significant carries, then we are going to rue the day we let Law Firm walk.

There's no scenario where we're going to regret not paying BJGE $5M/year. I like him more than alot of people here, but he's not worth that. I believe we've seen his ceiling, and he's just not worth that kind of $$. RB is a fairly interchangeable position if your OL is on it's game. We won 2 super bowls with Antowain Smith the feature back, I was also a big fan of his but neither him nor BJGE are tough voids to fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST