PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign former Colts RB Joseph Addai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. This isn't '07 Addai here. If Ridley and Vereen are unable to step into their roles as the top 2 feature backs and we have to rely on Addai to have significant carries, then we are going to rue the day we let Law Firm walk.

In terms of YPC, 2011 BJGE was the worst RB1 on the Patriots since 2005 Dillon.

Last edited:
I can't believe this is a >100 post thread. Signing Addai is one of the least interesting and impactful things that has happened this offseason.

In terms of YPC, 2011 BJGE was the worst RB1 on the Patriots since 2005 Dillon.

Dunno why people keep glossing over this. Getting the same production out of the RBs that we got last year may not be the worst-case scenario, but it has to be pretty close. If the Pats stocked the roster with replacement-level backs, I would think that they'd get roughly the same production. If any of the guys on the roster are above replacement-level--which, given Ridley and Vereen's youth, seems likely--then we'll see better production. BJGE wasn't bad, but for the money that he got, letting him walk was the only reasonable move.

Over half of BJGE's career touchdowns have come from inside the 2 yard line, so I don't really understand the idea that line of thought that he's anything other than a product of the system. Even at his best, the highest compliments that I could come up with for him were that he never fumbled and that he fell forward. Good traits, but hardly irreplaceable.

Last edited:
Dunno why people keep glossing over this. Getting the same production out of the RBs that we got last year may not be the worst-case scenario, but it has to be pretty close. If the Pats stocked the roster with replacement-level backs, I would think that they'd get roughly the same production. If any of the guys on the roster are above replacement-level, then we'll see better production. BJGE wasn't bad, but for the money that he got, letting him walk was the only reasonable move.

Over half of BJGE's career touchdowns have come from inside the 2 yard line, so I don't really understand the idea that line of thought that he's anything other than a product of the system. Even at his best, the highest compliments that I could come up with for him were that he never fumbled and that he fell forward. Good traits, but hardly irreplaceable.

Be careful talking about Benji all reasonable like that, his jock swingers will be out in full force momentarily to opine his former greatness.

There's no scenario where we're going to regret not paying BJGE $5M/year. I like him more than alot of people here, but he's not worth that. I believe we've seen his ceiling, and he's just not worth that kind of $$. RB is a fairly interchangeable position if your OL is on it's game. We won 2 super bowls with Antowain Smith the feature back, I was also a big fan of his but neither him nor BJGE are tough voids to fill.

BJGE got 3 years $9 million, not $5 million a year.

"Great" is not the word I would use to describe Addai in any capacity. Hes serviceable and as other posters call out, he knows how to pass block.

Theres clearly gotta be a reason why they didn't sign him but based on running ability level alone Ryan Grant would have been my choice.

Mine too, because Grant's running style more closely resembles what we lost with the LawFirm,
whereas Addai's seems to be the same as what we already have with Vereen & Woody
(and Faulk).

There's no scenario where we're going to regret not paying BJGE $5M/year. I like him more than alot of people here, but he's not worth that. I believe we've seen his ceiling, and he's just not worth that kind of $$. RB is a fairly interchangeable position if your OL is on it's game. We won 2 super bowls with Antowain Smith the feature back, I was also a big fan of his but neither him nor BJGE are tough voids to fill.
Yep, although naturally the few toads who insisted on denigrating Green-Ellis and his production will invariably point to him moving on to the Bengals as something more than what it really is.

Everything comes at a price. You don't warp your proven structure. That's how teams drop to the bottom quickly.

I thought it was closer to $3M/yr.

Edit: just saw Avenger's post confirming my suspicions. No way was LawFirm getting $5M/yr.

Last edited:
Jumped on Colts talk to see if they had any verbiage on the Addai signing.

I noticed they had Andrew Luck in place along with Unites, Manning and company. And then I noticed the banner across the bottom of the image. Is this their justification for only winning one championship with Manning?

Indianapolis Colts Talk - Unofficial Indianapolis Colts Fan Forums

Last edited:
I think you may have added a new word to the lexicon, Robbo...douchebanner

So what is it? you have back to back post, one saying he is a a stud and might be the best back on the team and then in response to me, you saying he might not even make the team?

Addai is a JAG now or more appropriately a JAV (Just Another Veteran), and was never really a "stud" or "great" even when he was in his prime, as others have mentioned. Addai was a reliable back who gets reliable yardage. In terms of game breaking abilities, he was a BGJE, with better receiving skillsets.

Addai is a good veteran backup and a good role model, however, I don't want to see him get any significant time. If he does, then we are in trouble becasue ridely and vereen is not cutting it.

BTW. Game changing running backs? Rice, AP, CJ2K, Foster, MJD.

Forte (who possibly could have been had for one of our #2s this year, but too expensive?).

I'm throwing in Demaro Murray too, for a few games, he carried the Boys on
his back.

I never said Addai is a stud at this point in his career--merely that as of this moment, with the information we have, he is the best running back on this team (and it's not even debatable). Ridley and Vereen have proven absolutely jack squat thus far--zilch. Hopefully that will change in 2012.

It's beyond my comprehension that so many posters would already be anointing Ridley and Vareen as locks to have productive NFL careers when when both are complete unknown quantities at this point in the game.

Last edited:
Mine too, because Grant's running style more closely resembles what we lost with the LawFirm,
whereas Addai's seems to be the same as what we already have with Vereen & Woody
(and Faulk).

Try to relay this invaluable information to Bill Belichick. I'm sure he will immediately see the folly of not reading opinions like yours on the internet and how :rolleyes:utterly foolish he was to sign Addai over Grant.

Try to relay this invaluable information to Bill Belichick. I'm sure he will immediately see the folly of not reading opinions like yours on the internet and how :rolleyes:utterly foolish he was to sign Addai over Grant.

What did he say that was untrue? Your premise that it was a foolish move is based on the presumption that BB is infallible, which he's not.

I never said Addai is a stud at this point in his career--merely that as of this moment, with the information we have, he is the best running back on this team (and it's not even debatable). Ridley and Vereen have proven absolutely jack squat thus far--zilch. Hopefully that will change in 2012.

It's beyond my comprehension that so many posters would already be anointing Ridley and Vareen as locks to have productive NFL careers when when both are complete unknown quantities at this point in the game.

Ridley was better than Addai last season, so I'm not sure where you're getting that it's not even debatable.

I never said Addai is a stud at this point in his career--merely that as of this moment, with the information we have, he is the best running back on this team (and it's not even debatable).

Huh. Here are two RB stat lines compiled over the past two NFL seasons:

A. 234 att 928 yds 4.0 avg 5 tds 34 rec 217 yds 6.4 avg 3 fum

B. 174 att 898 yds 5.2 avg 6 tds 52 rec 536 yds 10.3 avg 1 fum

You've just said that A is better than B "and it's not even debatable." I can't agree. What's more, another RB on the roster put up a better average as a rookie backup than Addai ever managed in any year in his career, and seems poised to take a much bigger role.

In sum, Joseph Addai has played a lot more than any other back on the roster, but for 2012 there's no reason to think he's their best option.

Last edited:
I think addai is a good fit given the others. especially if you consider the UDFA guy they signed

Huh. Here are two RB stat lines compiled over the past two NFL seasons:

A. 234 att 928 yds 4.0 avg 5 tds 34 rec 217 yds 6.4 avg 3 fum

B. 174 att 898 yds 5.2 avg 6 tds 52 rec 536 yds 10.3 avg 1 fum

You've just said that A is better than B "and it's not even debatable." I can't agree. What's more, another RB on the roster put up a better average as a rookie backup than Addai ever managed in any year in his career, and seems poised to take a much bigger role.

In sum, Joseph Addai has played a lot more than any other back on the roster, but for 2012 there's no reason to think he's their best option.

In your analysis,
who had the better Oline A or B?
who had the better QB A or B?

stats alone are not enough to judge. IMO

In your analysis,
who had the better Oline A or B?
who had the better QB A or B?

stats alone are not enough to judge. IMO

Good point. Playing on the Manning offense probably made Addai look a lot better than he ever really was or is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes