PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots ranked 14th in Sporting News Power Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just in:
The Pats dynasty died the night of the game that shall not be mentioned.
Film at eleven.
:bricks:

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

The same poll that rated the Saints 23 last year? Or was that SI?

The Las Vegas odds of the Pats to win the Superbowl are currently 10 -1. That ranks them 4th in the NFL currently. Only the Saints, Colts and Chargers are ranked higher.

Who cares where the Sporting News Off-season Power Poll rates the Patriots..

About the only thing that Poll is good for is the paper it's printed on.. so you can wipe your butt with it when you run out of TP.. Seriously,.

We'll see where we are after the draft and free agency.

Three points.

1) The list is meaningless since we don't know what any of those teams will be next season.

2) Looking at the list, I could probably figure a way to move the Pats up a few slots, but I'd have trouble putting us above 10.

3) The list is meaningless...

Last I checked, the Pats have beaten the Jets in the division race the last seven years, despite playing harder schedule every year. But the Jets are nine spots higher?

This is an absurd ranking system.

The Jets won two playoff games on the road. The Pats didn't show up for one playoff game at home.

Otherwise, your second point is right.

Predicting power rankings and who will win how many games is fun during the off season, but useless right now. How about waiting till after free agency and the draft, considering there is about a 20-25% turnover on NFL teams every year?

In 2009 the consensus among the media was that the Steelers and Pats were 1-2 in their power rankings, and one of those two would surely win the Super Bowl. Those same experts were predicting the Colts to make a downturn, and the Saints would finish behind Atlanta.

Since it's only February, I'll use this for my power rankings and predictions right now.
51T0DnfCflL.jpg

who cares it's power ranking befor the roster is even set. i would not even have the pats at 14 right now with out welker, woods and crable. would be the starting OLB's no right G.

but befor the season starts they will have the pats in the top 5 i think there are going to have a great draft.

who cares it's power ranking befor the roster is even set. i would not even have the pats at 14 right now with out welker, woods and crable. would be the starting OLB's no right G.

but befor the season starts they will have the pats in the top 5 i think there are going to have a great draft.

:ditto::agree::ditto:

I see lots of opportunities for the Pats and, yes, I'm drinking the kool-aid

:eat1:

The Jets won two playoff games on the road. The Pats didn't show up for one playoff game at home.

Otherwise, your second point is right.

These "polls" are just reflections of the last impressions from the 2009 season. People tend to forget the dominating week 16 game against Jax.

Ya have to remember that you are looking at people too dumb to follow one team so how can they rank thirty two?

The last impression is the disaster of the Welker injury and the following week in the playoffs.

Fortunately, the team with by far the greatest upside is the Pats. A normal two recovery for ACL for Brady puts them 1 or 2. Ofcourse, the Wes question is open for interpretation but we shall see.

Also, I read an article about our "old and slow" defense. Such is the quality of the sports media.

These "polls" are just reflections of the last impressions from the 2009 season. People tend to forget the dominating week 16 game against Jax.

Ya have to remember that you are looking at people too dumb to follow one team so how can they rank thirty two?

The last impression is the disaster of the Welker injury and the following week in the playoffs.

Fortunately, the team with by far the greatest upside is the Pats. A normal two recovery for ACL for Brady puts them 1 or 2. Ofcourse, the Wes question is open for interpretation but we shall see.

Also, I read an article about our "old and slow" defense. Such is the quality of the sports media.

100% agreed. It's why polls like this at this time of the year are meaningless other than as a snapshot of how the season ended. Aside from having the Titans and Atlanta ahead of us, I really can't say that this poll is all that inaccurate when defined in terms of a snapshot of how the season ended; the season ended, for example, for the Pats with a catastrophic injury to the team's (IMHO) MVP and a mailed in Home Playoff Game and it ended for the Jets with two Playoff wins on the road and a trip to the AFCCG.

But, that's not worth the paper it's printed on since all things will begin anew in Training Camp for all 32 teams. Like you, I like our prospects from that perspective.

2010 NFL Power Poll: Setting the stage for next season - Sporting News - NFL - Sporting News

This is about as low as I can remember the Patriots being ranked since the 2001 season.

I think it is justified based on where they are today, how they have played the last 2 years, changes in their coaching staff etc.

Do others think this is about right?

Not saying they won't do better just asking if being objective and just looking at the facts if everyone agrees with this.

As of today, I think this is about right. I would rank them ahead of Atlanta & Tennessee, but behind Houston, Arizona & maybe Miami.

During a draft chat on NFL.com, Gil Brandt wrote that unless more players play better for them, the NEP will have a hard time even making the POs. I tend to agree with the Godfather.

I don't really care about the poll...and I don't believe it is true...but my point was that the way others around the league outside of the PATS organization views themn has really changed.
It has been about 9 years since the Patriots were viewed in this light.

I think that the exact ranking is not important...but what are the reasons for the cahnged external perception:

1. Loss of effective veteran leadership (Bruschi, Harrison, Vrabel)
2. Brady not 100% back to old self
3. Constant drain of coaching talent
4. Injury to Wes Welker
5. Consistently poor drafts over the past 4 years
6. Mediocre defense
7. Loss of key players- Seymour, possibly Adalius Thomas

I don't really care about the poll...and I don't believe it is true...but my point was that the way others around the league outside of the PATS organization views themn has really changed.

I think that the exact ranking is not important...but what are the reasons for the cahnged external perception:

4. Injury to Wes Welker
6. Mediocre defense

#5 is not correct. Replace that with "a terrible season by Belichick as both a coach and GM", and you've pretty much got it nailed. This was, after all, a team that was among the Super Bowl favorites in both 2008 and 2009. This fall from punditry grace is really based largely upon the developments of last 12-14 months.

Last edited:
cowboys at #2 and their reasoning is because they DIDN'T collapse. Awesome reasoning, but even still those clowns won one freaking playoff game.

Gren Bay at #3? What has this team done to impress anyone? Do they ever beat elite teams, have they done anything in the post season since 2007?

LMAO at the Giants, Titans and Falcons. All 3 miss the playoffs, one got butt raped by NE but they rank them ahead...OK that makes a lot of sense.

Hell I mean, how do you even put Pittsburgh ahead of them? What did they show last year? a good golf swing when the regular season ended?

Very confusing rankings.

They should definitely be ahead of the Jets. How lucky can you get?

Here's mine:

1. New Orleans
2. Indianapolis
3. Minnesota
4. Philadelphia
5. San Diego
6. Baltimore
7. New England
8. Pittsburgh
9. NY Jets
10. NY Giants
11. Dallas
12. Cincinnati

4. Injury to Wes Welker
6. Mediocre defense

All good points. Bottom line is the Patriots are a long way away from being a championship team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back