4t. Lions (27.3)
7t. Jets (27.2)
7t. Vikings (27.2)
9t. Patriots (27.1)
9t. Ravens (27.1)
9t. Redskins (27.1)
9t. Giants (27.1)
32. Buccaneers (25.5)

They're actually tied with the Ravens, Redskins, and Giants at 27.1 for 9th place. The Steelers are at 27.7 and the youngest is Tampa Bay at 25.5. 32 teams with a range of just over 2 years of age. I don't see how age is a major issue for any team, at least this year.

Last edited:
I would agree as we do have a few 1 yr contracts out there ....and Dang.....The rams are up there ..and they stink

Last edited:
A useless stat that means zilch.

I'm not sure that it means too much as the team averages are so close. You could look at what positions some of the players held to give a more definitive answer. For example, doesn't matter if the kickers are really old as long as they produce. Then, you have an old linebacker (Lewis) who is probably in better shape then some younger players. I guess as long as your not extreme (too old/too young) then it's probably not too relevant.

I was waiting for this ridiculous stat based story to rear its ugly, misshapen head.

Look at the actual numbers they are quoting - between the top 9 teams there is an average age difference of 0.6 years (or 7 months 6 days to those of us who live on planet sensible).

That is just not significant.

And no matter how various sports media want to grade and power rank everything from helmet design to 'fan noise' it'll remain....

Not.

Significant.

Last edited:
It's a shame he (or whichever intern he had do the number crunching) went through the effort of calculating ages all the way to the day, but didn't put any extra time into coming up with a better model for calculating 'team age.' Increased precision can't make up for a lack of practical accuracy.

There are two main problems to my eyes. One, he doesn't weight for likely playing time. In this measure, a team's 3rd string quarterback counts toward team age as much as the first DB off the bench in the nickel package, let alone the team's starters. This is compounded by the second, that he's using the mean player age with no adjustment for deviation from the median, so that solitary extreme outliers have an inordinate influence on the team calculation.

They're actually rather young functionally, I'd say. Matt Light, already replaced by two very promising young players. The DL rotating in some vets who'll be gone in a year or two, Ocho the same.

Where are we old? Koppen, yeah we'll need a center. Brady? Still high functioning.

Another case where just taking a numerical average doesn't say much. When we had 4 linebackers who had started for years, we were much older than having temp starters at DL that will obviously be replaced by others, or young starters, when available.

I think a better way to look at the ages would be to break it down to starting (or base) offensive and defensive sets. It would give you a more meaningful number, although not one without issues.

This actually makes me nervous. Last year we had the youngest defense in the league and now we have the 7th oldest??? I wish we had drafted some DEs so we could develop them in the upcoming years.

Very old at wr, thats for sure.Wish to see Taylor Price step up.

Most teams have a handfull of guys, maybe 5-10 guys, whose age matters. They are the core guys. The other guys are interchangeable filler.

Just taking the average of all the guys on the team is a waste of time.

This actually makes me nervous. Last year we had the youngest defense in the league and now we have the 7th oldest??? I wish we had drafted some DEs so we could develop them in the upcoming years.

Inflated numbers. Take Ellis,Haynesworth and Carter off the team and we are in the top 10 youngest again. We have youth and speed in all the right places and destructor lineman with power and experience right where they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes