PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots are signing Patrick Chung

Status
Not open for further replies.
yay, reunion of 2nd round secondary busts (i'm sticking tavon in the bust category). now let's get ras-i and get the trifecta of busts back together.

To be completely fair... if you look at the 2009 Draft, it was full of huge busts. Even in the Top 10. One of the worst drafts in recent memory. Almost no elite talents in the first round that year.

Aaron Curry was #4 overall and isn't even in the league anymore. He was supposed to be a "safe" pick and one of the best linebacker talents to come along in years.

The list goes on. 2009 draft was pathetic for almost every team.

Chung is def not a FS. He isn't the same kind of safety as Gregory either who can be flipped in a pinch and can cover WR's @ times.

But his style of play fits the role. His best fit is playing in the box. BB had a front row seat for his coverage woes I wouldn't assume he needs to see it again. Not gonna discount his fit because of his weight when everything else points to it. When he was drafted he weighed 212 so probably around 220+ now.

These Tweener backers that everyone's talking about may have 10-15lbs on Chung if not less. Shazier was playing @ 220+ all year and will prob have added 10lbs when steps onto an NFL field.

I would honestly be shocked if he was over 220, and I would be surprised if he was over 215. I would be absolutely floored if the Pats had him play an inside gap like a LB. As I said, at 5'11" he's not very big even for a SS.

If Chung gets playing time, the Pats are going to bring him down into the box, they'll give him an underneath zone to patrol, but they are not going to go mixing him up with the LBs and have him plug up a B gap off an audible. Something will have gone very wrong if that's what's happening. He'll be predominantly an alleyway or force defender like any other odd-coverage SS.

He sucked in New England.

He sucked in Philadelphia.

"Third time's the charm" isn't the most inspirational reason for hiring a stiff of a player.

On the Other hand:

Bill Belechick thought enough of some of his talents to draft him in Round 2.;)

Chip Kelly thought enough of him to recruit him to Oregon.;)

Chip Kelly thought enough of him to sign him a $15 million dollar FA contract.;)

Bill Belechick thought enough of him to be willing to bring him back for vet minimum.;)

Conclusion: Patrick Chung is a slightly better than average SS, able to start but not excel in the League. :cool::cool:

To quote the immortal John McEnroe "you cannot be serious."

Training camp fodder.

I would honestly be shocked if he was over 220, and I would be surprised if he was over 215. I would be absolutely floored if the Pats had him play an inside gap like a LB. As I said, at 5'11" he's not very big even for a SS

He weighed 212 5 years ago.

But I agree hence the saying SS in a FS' body. But he just doesn't have the ability or range to cover in space. It's been proved over and over again. I think he is good depth but I have a feeling we are about to see more of 25(23?) then we want to.

4552_5.jpg

He will beat out Tavon Wilson, Adrian Wilson, and will compete with Harmon for the starting job.
If that is the case, Safety just become the Patriots #1 draft priority.

at worse he can play special teams. shocked this happened thought both sides were done with each other. he can play the run very well but pass eh....Blair white owned him and white is outta the league...

???

It IS a draft need.

Harmon hasn't shown enough to prove he's any better than Chung was when he was here, and we already know Tavon Wilson is a bust. Adrian Wilson is too old and coming off a bad injury.

???

It IS a draft need.

Harmon hasn't shown enough to prove he's any better than Chung was when he was here, and we already know Tavon Wilson is a bust. Adrian Wilson is too old and coming off a bad injury.

The kid was a rookie. Many rookies don't even start in this league, yet he was pressed into duty several times last year.

At least Je-Rod did some good with his rings..

In a pawn shop, every item has a story - AFC East Blog - ESPN

Defensive back and special-teams player Je'Rod Cherry raffled his ring for charity in 2008. He said the ring raised $171,000 to build orphanages in Thailand and Cambodia, save children from sex trafficking there and feed impoverished children in Massachusetts and Ohio.

"A lot of people got help," Cherry said. "Children were taken out of brothels and given homes to live in. It's definitely something I'm proud to be a part of."

BTW, its Brock Williams' ring you see at the opening of Pawn Stars, he pawned it for $2,600!!! (insert Fred Sanford saying "You Dummy" here)

Decades from now, people will look back and speak fondly of the "Tom Brady era" or the "Bill Belichick era."

They will be wrong.

They should speak of the Je'Rod Cherry era, the Je'Rod Cherry Patriots of 2001-2004. Cherry never lost a playoff game during his reign. Perfect. When he left, things were never the same. Brady's passes were just not quite as accurate. The defense broke a little more than it bent. The play calling was more predictable. And the special teams, well, they were really just average teams.

That back-up special teams safety carried those Patriots to three Super Bowls in four seasons.

We've not seen his like since.

???

It IS a draft need.

#1 draft need MrNathanDrake. There is a considerable difference between a need and your number 1 need.

The kid was a rookie. Many rookies don't even start in this league, yet he was pressed into duty several times last year.

Sorry, but this was a brain-dead signing. He'd better not have any guaranteed $$, and gets cut...

He was one of the WORST safeties, last year. Doesn't that say anything?

I don't know if SS becomes our #1 need, but if Chunks plays even a small number of meaningful
snaps next season, then Bill will have failed to do enough to improve his defense, again.

Meanwhile, Danieal Manning signs with Cinci, and Major Wright remains available.

Signing Patrick Chung doesn't set the roster and protect against any draft need at safety.

Did you read my post? I ADVOCATED drafting a safety. Are you just in one of those moods? What is so offensive about adding to the 90 man roster? If they had signed some scrub from a different team that you did not have intimate knowledge of his scrubness, I doubt you'd be so offended. I speculated he was competing with Tavon and Ebner, and was likely being brought in for his special teams ability, where he is actually quite good. Whether it's preferred by fans or not, Belichick highly values special teams. I'm not defending, or rationalizing, or anything like that. I'm looking at what something is and not making more of it than it is. Somebody is going to get hurt, and it might be a core special teamer, and if it is, Pat Chung is in place. I doubt highly that he is being brought in to compete for a starting safety role, as he was let go last year when the backfield was far worse than it is now.

I looked back at threads that related to Chung over the years on here, I could tell you that many of those who view this as such a horrific signing were the same ones labeling him the next big thing 2-3 seasons ago.

New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard

I have said this before and I will say it again, Chung is not that bad of a safety, he is actually very good as a strong safety playing in the box or roaming as an enforcer in the Rodney Harrison type role. In 2009 and 2010 when Merriweather and Sanders were here he was able to freelance in the “money” position. He was very impressive in that role, his failures came when he became a full time starter and was forced to play in deep coverage, which will not be the case this time around, he will be used only in that “money” position in my opinion.

This offseason FA work is trending from

applause2%20copy.gif

to

Moving-picture-skeleton-hanging-on-a-rope-animated-gif.gif

Pretty amazing use of two GIFs in a single post. You may no longer need words to express your dismay. Bravo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents