PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 7 Round Mock from the Sporting News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's face it, no way do the Pats use all thier picks without a trade up, down, or out of this year, so what's the point in getting worked up about picks after round 2. Heck, most can't even predict what thier going to do in round one accurately. How many mock drafts had Logan Mankins going #1 last year, or Watson the year before? ou can probably predict the weather for the 29th better than what BB and crew will do. An effort in futility IMO.

Remix 6 said:
I like the first 3..but then its bad from there.

half of you probably havent seen Carpenter play and you go crazy about him because hes friends with Vrabel or so called compared because they come from same school. Greenway is better.

I don't care for Greenway or Carpenter. When scouting reports say "Avoids contact" and "runs around blocks" you should take notice.

Remix 6 said:
Hagan..Stovall because hes from Weis's program? Judge by game play. Both arent that fast but Hagan is a great WR..great production over career questions came at senior bowl pretty much..other than that Hagan is as good as Givens if not better.

I watched Stovall play. He was a very solid player and good over the middle. I watched him play several times, in both the good and bad games. He was a 5th rounder prior to Weis getting there and he truly developed this year and is certainly worth a late second or early 3rd rounder now.

Question on Hagan arose, not at just the Senior Bowl, but at the combine as well. He had TONS of dropped passes and didn't do well in the receiving drills. I don't know if he settled down and re-did the drills at his Pro-Day or not.

Remix 6 said:
D'Qwell Jackson..my favorite Lb in the draft..kid is a leader..hes all over the field and reminds me of Vilma.
If he reminds you of Vilma, then its even more reason NOT to draft him. at under 6'1 and a very cut 230 lbs, he's better suited to strong safety for the Pats than ILB.

Remix 6 said:
Philips..please. if we want a CB we take 1 early who will be a shut down guy..we dont need anymore mid first day guys. griffin has had problems but hes good but philips isnt that good..he blew his pro day. i rather see Danieal Manning over him here.

I agree that Phillips isn't that good.

Remix 6 said:
Greenway falling to 21 would be great

Hagan as a WR great compliment to speedy little Branch. Hes a good possesion WR.

Jackson wont fall here but if he by any chance did i would take him in a heartbeat..lucky to make it to us in 2nd roundso its there or no way to get him really..best ILB in the draft

No. You're 100% WRONG on Jackson. He's the best MLB in the draft. NOT the best ILB.

Last edited:
Pats coveted Vilma

DaBruinz, haven't you seen what an improvement the Jets defense was this year? Amazing they didn't go 2-14, considering they had no QB and a lackluster OL.

D'Qwell Jackson does lack size, which is why this first round talent is going in the second round. If he falls to the third, that would make the steal of the draft.

The memory in the Patriots organization of the almost-had Vilma still lingers, perhaps prompting them to take a LB in both the first and second round. I think they are more focused on LB than on any other position. And WR is such a need for them.

If they don't draft many offensive players, what will Brady think? Any one considered the possibility he becomes disenchanted by BB's predilection to go defensive on the draft, as many draftnicks here predict? If so, that would suck.

Remix 6 said:
i wasnt trying to insult so many people
Then you should be proud your arrogance and insensitivity come so effortlessly. Some of us have to actually work at being a pompous ass.

Greenway vs. Carpenter. Seen them both play, read all the same scouting reports, yada yada yada. Would love 'em both, but not sold on either one. If they both fell to me, I'd go with the bigger, stronger, faster one. The one with experience playing with his hand down and upright, Carpenter. Greenway would almost certainly be an ILB for us, I'm not positive that BB has Carpenter exclusively slated for ILB since he does have experience from a DE position. I wouldn't scream and cry with either one of them, nor would I with Lawson who intrigues the hell outta me or trade down and get Anderson. I kinda like that last option, Box.
Remix 6 said:
..i have a feeling its not bobby
I have a feeling it's not him either. The only thing that BB/SP/EA could do to shock me is to pick somebody that all the 'experts' think they should pick. ;) It'll probably be a position I don't even want addressed in the first round, like Pope at TE or Hill at CB. I don't think Reiss is off the wall with his thoughts on the Pats being interested in Hill, he seems to fit the profile perfectly. Cromartie on the other hand would shock the hell outta me, he's far too big for a BB Corner and I don't see him taking a gamble with a first round pick on a kid who's only played in 25 games in his career.

Jackson a S? Out of your mind. One of the best LBs in college last year and im sure hes added weight. Vilma is almost same size as Jackson.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/jonathan_vilma

Vilma was 223 6"1 before playing in NFL. Vilma a little faster but both great players. Vilma added some weight and probably is adding a little more this offseason. These players are young and many have room to add weight without losing skill and speed.

Greenway doesnt avoid contact the way you mean it..hes tried using his speed to go around instead of through which many NCAA LBs do. Your treating these players like are supposed to be 5 year vets in the NFL. BB even said in the draft theres many kids who should have stayed and get polished up.

Too small for ILB in a 3-4? Hes said he can play OLB aswell. Lets see Vilma this year in the 3-4..I think he'll have another produtctive year.
If Jacskon was 6"2 240..he would be a first rounder. He comes from a system thats produced good LBs..Merriman being the latest. He will not fall past middle 2nd. Hes too good of a player despite his size..look at Ray Lewis and Derrick Brooks..are they a little undersized? Jackson is fine..he a leader..he plays like one and is in my opinion the 2nd or 3rd best LB in the draft

rookBoston said:
#21 Chad Greenway LB Iowa- Love it
#52 Derek Hagan WR ASU- Hate it.
#75 D'Qwell Jackson ILB MD- Love it in the 3rd
#86 Anwar Phillips CB PSU- Blah
#106 Paul Mcquistan OT Weber St.- Okay for the 4th
#118 Scott Scifres K SWMO ST. -Dont like any kicker this early, and certainly not this one
#136 Calvin Lowery S PSU- I like the player, but not this early. Maybe one of our Compensatory 6ths
#191 David Anderson WR CSU- Okay, I'll buy that...
#205 Josh Lay CB Pitt- Interested prospect for late 6th
#206 P.J. Daniels RB GT- Not bad at all
#229 Matt Lentz G Mich- Again, not too bad

Overall, I like it. I dont like Hagan at all, and Philips does nothing for me. Otherwise, this is a pretty decent set.
I agree...not excited about Hagan..and less so for Phillips...Scifres seems not only early but..NOT the kicker for this team. The othes all seem just fine..high and low..but it's still a crapshoot...may work out OK maybe not..

PATSNUTme said:
Just got the April 28th issue in the mail this morning. Nice issue and contains a really good "value board".

Anyway I thought that I would post their Patriots picks here on the main board. I'll give a comment after each pick.

#21 Chad Greenway LB Iowa- Good pick but I do like Carpenter better. He could be better than Carpenter but who knows. Greenway ws rated #17 on thier Value board

#52 Derek Hagan WR ASU- Hate this pick- Stovall was rated lower than Hagen but I would prefer Stovall.

#75 D'Qwell Jackson ILB MD- OH Baby- love this pick but if he's there at #75 I'l eat a page from this mag.

#86Anwar Phillips CB PSU- would rather have Cedrick Griffin who is rated #86

#106 Paul Mcquistan OT Weber St.- Good Pick

#118 Scott Scifres K SWMO ST. Are they totally nuts? Rather take Mike Hass with this pick and Huston with a 6th

# 136 Calvin Lowery S PSU- not bad

#191 David Anderson WR CSU- good one

#205 Josh Lay CB Pitt- doesn't make my skirt blow up

#206 P.J. Daniels RB GT- I'd be one happy nut if we took him here.

#229 Matt Lentz G Mich- Like this guy and would be a good value pick here.

So, there it is. What do you think boys and girls?
i love the greenway pick but i doubt he would still be there at 21. i agree with that kicker pick....hass then huston.

DaBruinz said:
I don't care for Greenway or Carpenter. When scouting reports say "Avoids contact" and "runs around blocks" you should take notice.

what scouting reports are you looking at??? i watched at least 4 iowa games and like 5 osu games and both players did anything BUT avoid contact. all these published scouting reports are a bunch of crap, their sole purpose is to make money, the only scouting reports that matter are the ones being made by the real experts.

DaBruinz said:
If he reminds you of Vilma, then its even more reason NOT to draft him. at under 6'1 and a very cut 230 lbs, he's better suited to strong safety for the Pats than ILB.

what??? so you dont want a player like jonathan vilma on ur team?? his size doesnt mean anything....look at bruschi, banta-cain, etc.

Last edited:
Size doesnt matter that much look:
Ray Lewis 6"1 245
Derrick Brooks 6"0 235
Tedy Bruschi 6"1 247
Jonathan Vilma 6"1 230
DJ Williams 6"1 242
Zach Thomas 5"11 228
London Fletcher 5"10 245
Mike Peterson 6"1 235
Al Wilson 6"0 240

All very good LBs that are notaller than 6"1 and all under 250

throw Jackson in there 6"1(almost) 230during season. now all these LBs were not the weight they were in college..they added about 7-15 pounds. and no reason why D'Qwell cant

State said:
DaBruinz, haven't you seen what an improvement the Jets defense was this year? Amazing they didn't go 2-14, considering they had no QB and a lackluster OL.

D'Qwell Jackson does lack size, which is why this first round talent is going in the second round. If he falls to the third, that would make the steal of the draft.

The memory in the Patriots organization of the almost-had Vilma still lingers, perhaps prompting them to take a LB in both the first and second round. I think they are more focused on LB than on any other position. And WR is such a need for them.

If they don't draft many offensive players, what will Brady think? Any one considered the possibility he becomes disenchanted by BB's predilection to go defensive on the draft, as many draftnicks here predict? If so, that would suck.

So the Pats "coveted" Vilma. Who cares? You have no clue where they were slating Vilma to play. They could have been coveting Vilma for the SS position. Jackson isn't Vilma. Jackson is SLOWER than Vilma. Jackson doesn't have the same explosiveness as Vilma. And Jackson isn't as strong as Vilma. And Jackson isn't nearly as agile as Vilma.

As for your theories about Brady, give me a frigging break, would you? The Pats have spent draft picks on talent around Brady. Or do you ignore the FACT the Patriots spent a 2nd rounder on Branch, a 1st rounder on Mankins and a 3rd rounder on Kaczur. Not to mention a 1st rounder on Graham and another 1st rounder on Watson.

There is no predilection of BB going defensive on the draft. You only have to go back and look at the drafts to know this.

Remix 6 said:
Jackson a S? Out of your mind. One of the best LBs in college last year and im sure hes added weight. Vilma is almost same size as Jackson.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/jonathan_vilma

Vilma was 223 6"1 before playing in NFL. Vilma a little faster but both great players. Vilma added some weight and probably is adding a little more this offseason. These players are young and many have room to add weight without losing skill and speed.

Greenway doesnt avoid contact the way you mean it..hes tried using his speed to go around instead of through which many NCAA LBs do. Your treating these players like are supposed to be 5 year vets in the NFL. BB even said in the draft theres many kids who should have stayed and get polished up.

Too small for ILB in a 3-4? Hes said he can play OLB aswell. Lets see Vilma this year in the 3-4..I think he'll have another produtctive year.
If Jacskon was 6"2 240..he would be a first rounder. He comes from a system thats produced good LBs..Merriman being the latest. He will not fall past middle 2nd. Hes too good of a player despite his size..look at Ray Lewis and Derrick Brooks..are they a little undersized? Jackson is fine..he a leader..he plays like one and is in my opinion the 2nd or 3rd best LB in the draft

Dude - Sorry, but you're wrong. Jackson was a very CUT 230 at both the Combine and his pro-day. That means its very UNLIKELY he'll be able to add any weight. Your fascination with a guy who isn't as strong, as fast, or as agile as Vilma is just amazing.

No, sorry, Jackson isn't going to be a good player in the 3-4.

Why are you attempting to put words in my mouth? You clearly don't have a clue by what I meant when I said that Greenway avoids contact and runs around blocks. I meant what I said. Its an issue because running AROUND blocks in the NFL, more often than not, takes you out of position.

You have no clue how I am treating the players. And, since you mentioned what BB said, that should be an even BIGGER CLUE to you that they are players that aren't going to be someone in the Patriots top value groups.

Now, as for your examples, you just proved you don't know what you are talking about. Ray Lewis is listed at 6'1 and 245 lbs. And he accelled when the Ravens were in the 4-3. He didn't do as well when they were in the 3-4 or running the 46. Derrick Brooks played in the 4-3 as a MLB, not in the 3-4 as an ILB. Its becoming clear to me that you don't understand the difference between the two.

In the 4-3, the D-line is responsible for putting the pressure on the QB and a majority of the run-stuffing. The MLBs responsibility is to not worry about the O-line and get to the RB on running plays, being able to move sideline to sideline and stay with a TE or RB coming out of the backfield. They have to be smaller and faster.

In the 3-4, the D-line is responsible for opening holes so the line-backers can put pressure on the QB. At times, the ILBs have to be able to take on guards and still get to the RB. They don't have to cover as much of the field as MLBs (far hash-mark to the near side-lines). They are typically bigger and stronger than MLBs.

That is probably an over-simplification but I don't have the link to the explanation B_O_R did in the draft section.

NE_PATS_FAN_54 said:
what scouting reports are you looking at??? i watched at least 4 iowa games and like 5 osu games and both players did anything BUT avoid contact. all these published scouting reports are a bunch of crap, their sole purpose is to make money, the only scouting reports that matter are the ones being made by the real experts.

I'll take the reports of the official site of NFL.com over YOU any day and 10000 times on draft day.

NE_PATS_FAN_54 said:
what??? so you dont want a player like jonathan vilma on ur team?? his size doesnt mean anything....look at bruschi, banta-cain, etc.

Gotta love people who don't know what they are talking about.

At under 6'1 and only 233 lbs (Vilma's Combine and Pro-day height and weight) Vilma is too small to be an ILB in the Patriots system. He'd be a great fit at Strong Safety.

Bruschi is 6'1 and played last year at 255 lbs. That is 25lbs HEAVIER than Jackson's 230.

TBC, who isn't a starter by the way, plays OLB and is 6'2 and 254. Again, significantly heavier than the 230 that Jackson is.

You, like Remix, don't seem to understand how the ILB position differs from the MLB position in its responsibilities.

Remix 6 said:
Size doesnt matter that much look:
Ray Lewis 6"1 245
Derrick Brooks 6"0 235
Tedy Bruschi 6"1 247
Jonathan Vilma 6"1 230
DJ Williams 6"1 242
Zach Thomas 5"11 228
London Fletcher 5"10 245
Mike Peterson 6"1 235
Al Wilson 6"0 240

All very good LBs that are notaller than 6"1 and all under 250

throw Jackson in there 6"1(almost) 230during season. now all these LBs were not the weight they were in college..they added about 7-15 pounds. and no reason why D'Qwell cant

*sigh* Nothing like comparing apples to oranges.
1) Bruschi played at 255 lbs last year. He said so himself.
2) You can't compare the size of 3-4 ILBs to the size of 4-3 MLBs. And that is what you are doing. Come back when you learn the difference.

okay im back

Larry Foote-6"0 239 RILB Steelers

Julian Peterson was in a 3-4 at 235 Pro Bowl Caliber player

Vilma is going in a 3-4 this year.

Face it..you dont need the biggest player for a 3-4 LB. He can play outside aswell as i have stated. sure hes smaller but now a days all the positions are getting smaller

Remix 6 said:
okay im back

Larry Foote-6"0 239 RILB Steelers

Julian Peterson was in a 3-4 at 235 Pro Bowl Caliber player

Vilma is going in a 3-4 this year.

Face it..you dont need the biggest player for a 3-4 LB. He can play outside aswell as i have stated. sure hes smaller but now a days all the positions are getting smaller

*ROFLMA*
You just can't get it through your head that the Patriots have specific things they look for in their LBs and that neither Jackson nor Vilma have those things, though Vilma might have been able to put on weight to get him up into the area that the Pats look to have their LBs.

You love not having your facts correct, don't you. Peterson was not a Pro-Bowler as a 3-4 OLB. He was a Pro-Bowl as a 4-3 OLB. Besides the money, its probably one of the reasons he went to the Seahawks.

Larry Foote is the exception, not the norm. But, again, you'd rather compare apples and oranges than admit you don't understand the difference between an ILB and a MLB.

Would you care to show me any Patriots ILB under Belichick who has been under 240 lbs who has played REGULARLY? (I'm not talking about special teamers like Izzo).

I understand more than you. Why is Mangini going to a 3-4 when he KNOWS the D is relied around Vilma? WHY? Hes small..hes not a 3-4 ILB in your mind. WHY would he do that? Answer it and then ask maybe Patriots could be getting a msaller ILB that was a MLB in a 4-3 in college that has experience in the middle and outside. MLB is 1. ILB is 2 guys. MLB is 4-3. ILB is 3-4.

4-3 has 3 LBs. 3-4 has 4 LBs. 3-4 relies around the athletism and pass rush ability around the LB and jackson is a great blitzer.

look at that..the fungi idiot who thinks Kiwanuka is going to be an OLB is laughing and werent you the moron that said our #1 need is DL? Defensive line..top 10 in the league with Seymour.Wilfork.Warren and a very reliable Green. Hmm you know a lot and as far as a LB under 240..most college guys weight less because their bodies are still growing. reason bruschi and vrabel are heavier is they were DE in college..moved to LB .. added weight as they trained with team more.

Monty Beisel 6"3 238.

played for us this year..likely will get some playing time this year. likely added weight aswell. young players have ability to add weight.

example: you think Reggie Bush is going to play at 205 all his career? Bet you he'll get to 215 area.
Vilma was 223. He played 230 last year. You think he added weight this off season as he did last? Yes

Last edited:
Remix 6 said:
look at that..the fungi idiot who thinks Kiwanuka is going to be an OLB is laughing and werent you the moron that said our #1 need is DL? Defensive line..top 10 in the league with Seymour.Wilfork.Warren and a very reliable Green. Hmm you know a lot and as far as a LB under 240..most college guys weight less because their bodies are still growing. reason bruschi and vrabel are heavier is they were DE in college..moved to LB .. added weight as they trained with team more.

Bruschi & Vrabel came out of college @ the same weights they are now. I don't understand your arguement. If you really believe that D. Jackson will make a ILB, and specificly, an ILB for the Pats, you will be disappointed next weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back