PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 7 Round Mock from the Sporting News

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just got the April 28th issue in the mail this morning. Nice issue and contains a really good "value board".

Anyway I thought that I would post their Patriots picks here on the main board. I'll give a comment after each pick.

#21 Chad Greenway LB Iowa- Good pick but I do like Carpenter better. He could be better than Carpenter but who knows. Greenway ws rated #17 on thier Value board

#52 Derek Hagan WR ASU- Hate this pick- Stovall was rated lower than Hagen but I would prefer Stovall.

#75 D'Qwell Jackson ILB MD- OH Baby- love this pick but if he's there at #75 I'l eat a page from this mag.

#86Anwar Phillips CB PSU- would rather have Cedrick Griffin who is rated #86

#106 Paul Mcquistan OT Weber St.- Good Pick

#118 Scott Scifres K SWMO ST. Are they totally nuts? Rather take Mike Hass with this pick and Huston with a 6th

# 136 Calvin Lowery S PSU- not bad

#191 David Anderson WR CSU- good one

#205 Josh Lay CB Pitt- doesn't make my skirt blow up

#206 P.J. Daniels RB GT- I'd be one happy nut if we took him here.

#229 Matt Lentz G Mich- Like this guy and would be a good value pick here.

So, there it is. What do you think boys and girls?

PATSNUTme said:
Just got the April 28th issue in the mail this morning. Nice issue and contains a really good "value board".

Anyway I thought that I would post their Patriots picks here on the main board. I'll give a comment after each pick.

#21 Chad Greenway LB Iowa- Good pick but I do like Carpenter better. He could be better than Carpenter but who knows. Greenway ws rated #17 on thier Value board

#52 Derek Hagan WR ASU- Hate this pick- Stovall was rated lower than Hagen but I would prefer Stovall.

#75 D'Qwell Jackson ILB MD- OH Baby- love this pick but if he's there at #75 I'l eat a page from this mag.

#86Anwar Phillips CB PSU- would rather have Cedrick Griffin who is rated #86

#106 Paul Mcquistan OT Weber St.- Good Pick

#118 Scott Scifres K SWMO ST. Are they totally nuts? Rather take Mike Hass with this pick and Huston with a 6th

# 136 Calvin Lowery S PSU- not bad

#191 David Anderson WR CSU- good one

#205 Josh Lay CB Pitt- doesn't make my skirt blow up

#206 P.J. Daniels RB GT- I'd be one happy nut if we took him here.

#229 Matt Lentz G Mich- Like this guy and would be a good value pick here.

SUXX 10 characters

AzPatsFan said:
SUXX 10 characters

Perhaps a little more detail would help.:rolleyes:

PATSNUTme said:
Perhaps a little more detail would help.:rolleyes:

Those baseball analysts know as much about football as Mickey er ratehr Minnie Mouse. Not a single pick do I like...

PATSNUTme said:

I'll give this about a B- or a C+ in terms of how I'd feel. But Scifres in the 4th? Did ANY other kickers get drafted?

Before you burn me on this, let me just say that I am probably as big a Penn State fan as anyone else on this board. I go to the school for God sakes.

That being said, I really can't see us taking one PSU secondary member, let alone two. I mean, all that mock needs is Alan Zemaitis and we would all of the graduating members of the secondary. Nothing against these players, I just really can't see BB taking any of these guys.

AzPatsFan said:
Those baseball analysts know as much about football as Mickey er ratehr Minnie Mouse. Not a single pick do I like...

I'm not big on these picks either, but I have to disagree about the Sporting News --- they're a great resource for NFL information. Their annual NFL Scouting Guide is my bible.

PATSNUTme said:

#21 Chad Greenway LB Iowa- Good pick but I do like Carpenter better. He could be better than Carpenter but who knows. Greenway ws rated #17 on thier Value board Disappointing selection for the Patriots' system, he projects to fill Phifer's old passing down role and not an every down role (Seymour, Graham) or a two down role (Wilfork, Warren). That said, he would work okay in rotation with Claridge inside or TBC/Klecko outside. C+

#52 Derek Hagan WR ASU- Hate this pick- Stovall was rated lower than Hagen but I would prefer Stovall. Poor value at 52, he was too inconsistent in the Senior Bowl and didn't wow me at the Combine. Stovall would be a better pick for consistency, Hass, Marshall, and Jennings would all be well ahead of Hagan on my board. D

#75 D'Qwell Jackson ILB MD- OH Baby- love this pick but if he's there at #75 I'l eat a page from this mag. BB may have a plan to use him, from what I saw at the Senior Bowl and have read, I can't see how he would fit in as other then a Special Teams' Ace. D

#86Anwar Phillips CB PSU- would rather have Cedrick Griffin who is rated #86 In the Senior Bowl, he was the one picked on playing opposite Ty Hill and my pick for best CB at Mobile, David Pittman. I don't see the fit or the value before round 6. D

#106 Paul Mcquistan OT Weber St.- Good Pick Barely adequate performance in the Shrine Game, nice measurables, but he's a two year project on the Practice Squad. C-

#118 Scott Scifres K SWMO ST. Are they totally nuts? Rather take Mike Hass with this pick and Huston with a 6th They're nuts, Nut. Bearing in mind his drug test results didn't come out by press time, he's a reach for someone with his kicking record. This was a panic pick by someone reacting to AV's change of address, and not trying to think like a more pragmatic Best Head Coach in the NFL. F

# 136 Calvin Lowery S PSU- not bad Another FS, good looking kid in the write-ups, worth a flyer any other year when our depth at S might be lower, but this year the depth issue is LB, use flyer picks on creating depth and competition there. D

#191 David Anderson WR CSU- good one He disappeared in the Shrine Game, but could be productive with Tommy and is a good risk/reward value in the sixth. B

#205 Josh Lay CB Pitt- doesn't make my skirt blow up He has good career interception numbers and decent measurables, a nice sleeper pick in the flyer round. C+

#206 P.J. Daniels RB GT- I'd be one happy nut if we took him here. Now your talking, the knock on him is he likes contact too much and gets hurt running over people, I think that is an attitude that BB can work with. He was just as shifty in the reaction drills as the faster Addai was, he ran very well between the tackles in the Hula Bowl, and also worked as a receiver out of the slot. A

#229 Matt Lentz G Mich- Like this guy and would be a good value pick here. Solid blocker without the mobility that BB wants, still, Dante may be able to do something with him. We might be better served with a C who can play G or a G who can play C, but maybe Dante can convert him. B

One above average grade on the first day, D, the panic pick on the second day really dragged down an otherwise decent day, C+. For the draft, D+ at best, weighting the value of the first day grade over the second day's effort.

PJ Daniels...I also like this guy a LOT. Does anybody have any solid information on him??

Box_O_Rocks said:
One above average grade on the first day, D, the panic pick on the second day really dragged down an otherwise decent day, C+. For the draft, D+ at best, weighting the value of the first day grade over the second day's effort.

Holy Crap Box, we agree on just about every pick.

The did not rate any other Kicker a draftable. All others would be UDFA's. But they are out of it to rate this guy a 112 in the total draft.

I like the first 3..but then its bad from there.

half of you probably havent seen Carpenter play and you go crazy about him because hes friends with Vrabel or so called compared because they come from same school. Greenway is better.

Hagan..Stovall because hes from Weis's program? Judge by game play. Both arent that fast but Hagan is a great WR..great production over career questions came at senior bowl pretty much..other than that Hagan is as good as Givens if not better.

D'Qwell Jackson..my favorite Lb in the draft..kid is a leader..hes all over the field and reminds me of Vilma.

Philips..please. if we want a CB we take 1 early who will be a shut down guy..we dont need anymore mid first day guys. griffin has had problems but hes good but philips isnt that good..he blew his pro day. i rather see Danieal Manning over him here.

Greenway falling to 21 would be great

Hagan as a WR great compliment to speedy little Branch. Hes a good possesion WR.

Jackson wont fall here but if he by any chance did i would take him in a heartbeat..lucky to make it to us in 2nd roundso its there or no way to get him really..best ILB in the draft

I've seen Carpenter play. He looked pretty good to me.

yeah but have you watched Carpenter and Greenway? Greenway is better but im reffering to rest of the people here who obviosuly havent but just go along with everyone

Remix 6 said:
yeah but have you watched Carpenter and Greenway? Greenway is better but im reffering to rest of the people here who obviosuly havent but just go along with everyone
Have'nt really seen Greenway. I wish i had because LB is where my focus is right now. I have'nt seen a lot of ANY of these guys. I wish the draft would hurry up and get here so my brain can have some relief.

Remix 6 said:

How the hell do you know that? That is insulting to people on this board.

Many of us have seen both play and knew about them way before the the 2005 season strarted. Many of us read scouting reports.

Does that make us experts? NO! In spite of how much time we put into finding out all we can about all of these guys, we know only a fraction of what the Patriots scouting dept knows. And they still get some wrong.

Now, tell me who oin this board has never seen Carpenter or Greenway play and are just going along with the "rest of us"? Put your money where your mouth is.

#21 Chad Greenway LB Iowa- Love it
#52 Derek Hagan WR ASU- Hate it.
#75 D'Qwell Jackson ILB MD- Love it in the 3rd
#86 Anwar Phillips CB PSU- Blah
#106 Paul Mcquistan OT Weber St.- Okay for the 4th
#118 Scott Scifres K SWMO ST. -Dont like any kicker this early, and certainly not this one
#136 Calvin Lowery S PSU- I like the player, but not this early. Maybe one of our Compensatory 6ths
#191 David Anderson WR CSU- Okay, I'll buy that...
#205 Josh Lay CB Pitt- Interested prospect for late 6th
#206 P.J. Daniels RB GT- Not bad at all
#229 Matt Lentz G Mich- Again, not too bad

Overall, I like it. I dont like Hagan at all, and Philips does nothing for me. Otherwise, this is a pretty decent set.

Last edited:
If this was our draft haul, I'd lay down an cry like baby, it pretty sad. Thankfully, BB and Co. are way more smart than these dudes. The only first day pick with decided value is Jackson. Greenway will be productive most likely, but just doesn't look like a star to me. This team needs another super stud more than it needs a bunch more B+/C players like Gay and Samuel and Kaczur and Sanders, Light, Gorin, Faulk, Hill, Beisel, every other DB, etc. You could argue that Greenway (but not Carpenter who could be a dud) will solidify the LB squad for the present but I don't see him as the mainstay we'll need when Bruschi finally hangs it up. Do any of you really think he's that good?

All this is why I hope we either trade way up - top 12 - which is unlikely whether we'd be willing to pay the price or not, or move down in the first round for extra picks to try to use to find a diamond in the rough in the 2/3/4 rounds. The kind of player availible in the late 20's or even at the top of round two, will be nearly identical in grade to anything we'll find at 21 unless something big happens and someone falls.

Bottom line - we need a game changing player and Greenway just doesn't do that job for me. Dark horse pick - if he slides just a little to the mid-teens - Winston Justice. He'll be a better offensive player than everyone else than Bush and Davis, and maybe just as good as Ferguson. Though, Maroney could turn out to be a real star but he's not as sure a thing as Justice. If the Colts get Maroney I'll puke.

Last edited:
i wasnt trying to insult so many people but how is it everyone here is sold on Carpenter over so many other better players? Because one person says hes good..they read a little and hear that hes like Vrabel and eyes open and say WE WANT CARPENTER. sure hed be a great player and if mocks have ihm going to us its fine but just calm down with the talk about how great he is. hes a good player..he might get chosen..hes versatile but he isnt god. id much rather have greenway..d'qwell jackson at LB or other players not LBs like Maroney, Williams, Holmes,Whitner,Cromartie or some others. hes not going to be the BPA and if its between him and lawson/wimbley..i have a feeling its not bobby

Remix 6 said:
i wasnt trying to insult so many people but how is it everyone here is sold on Carpenter over so many other better players? Because one person says hes good..they read a little and hear that hes like Vrabel and eyes open and say WE WANT CARPENTER. sure hed be a great player and if mocks have ihm going to us its fine but just calm down with the talk about how great he is. hes a good player..he might get chosen..hes versatile but he isnt god. id much rather have greenway..d'qwell jackson at LB or other players not LBs like Maroney, Williams, Holmes,Whitner,Cromartie or some others. hes not going to be the BPA and if its between him and lawson/wimbley..i have a feeling its not bobby
I'd take Carpenter over Wimbley based on production. But steady down, not all of us want Carpenter, if Lawson isn't there trade down and consider Anderson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back