PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Early 3 Round 2014 Mock after Underlcassmen Declarations Complete

I wonder how such a late draft will affect the picks. The Pats usually draft for a guy who can help in year 1 but is hoped to be a starter the next year. Sure, some guys exceed that. But, it seems to be our tendency early.

Will more teams pick for need because free-agency is about over? Except for the scrap heap. Could help us if we want to stockpile picks. A team in the middle of round 2 picked a guy they really didn't think they could get in Mid-first. Now, they have a huge hole and love some kid at that position.

I'd like to get a wr or interior ol unless a stud on the def. line drops. The DL kids seem to always go early. So, I don't think that happens. I would take Tuitt if he's there. Trade back like last year. Would like a 2 and 3 to do so. The reason I don't want a te early, I think the wr position is a better way to replace Gronk if he gets hurt again. Just draft a good blocking te a little later as insurance. Instead of splurging in Rounds 1 or 2. If we can get a kid who can step in at C, that allows us to save a lot of money in free agency.
Can let Wendell walk. Cut Connolly. Not too worried about finding a RG if the rest of the line is ok. Trade back. 2a WR 2b C 3a te . Then 3b, 4, 6, 6, 6 and 7 BPA's.

It happens. Especially, when you write a thesis statement like that.

What are your thoughts on trading Gronkowski for a pick? My view is that he is injured too often. When healthy, he's amazing. Unfortunately, he's been bitten by the injury bug a lot. I love the guy, but his injury history and immaturity aren't winning games for us right now.

I'm thinking his trade value is still very high, and a team like Green Bay might be willing to part with a first rounder for him. They have a need for a TE and Gronk might fit the bill. He's certainly talented enough.

Take Green Bay's draft pick and trade back into the 2nd for ASJ while adding a pick?

I'd be devastated if that happened. Besides Calvin Johnson I think he is the most destructive force in all of football. He's a one of a kind. I hate the injury label he gets. Aside from his back none of it is deserved imo. Having your leg planted and having someone crush into your knee is just a freak occurence and should not add to this player is injury prone debate. The forearm was also obscure and the circumstances with the plate following it.

For the 5 or 6 games he was here they had the number 1 passing game in all of football. Mix that with a revised running game next season and you have the best and most balanced offense in the Brady Belichick era. Total domination next season with a healthy defense and another rookie class.

Not saying you are harping on the injuries at all but I know some do and that is their right. But I just don't think it is legitimate imo. It would have to be a top 10 pick and their first the next year with a chance of them finishing in the bottom 10 again to be worth it in my book. Even then I'd be hard pressed. Besides noone would do that for a TE with a torn acl I wouldn't think.

Btw if Rodgers was throwing to Gronkowski with Cobb, Nelson and Jones I'd be pretty upset knowing they would have to defend that in a super bowl.

Green Bay: S Calvin Pryor - CB Bradley Robey - OLB Adrian Hubbard
Sorry but I can't see the Green Bay Packers hanging Aaron Rodgers out to dry without a tight end next season. I anticipate the Green Bay Packers will select a tight end in the first round.

Sorry but I can't see the Green Bay Packers hanging Aaron Rodgers out to dry without a tight end next season. I anticipate the Green Bay Packers will select a tight end in the first round.

It's a deep draft, including at TE. Jermichael Finley was a late 3rd round pick. They could get someone like Richard Rodgers in the 4th and do very well.

If the Packers use their 1st round pick on a TE, with their porous defense, the rest of the NFC should celebrate.

It's a deep draft, including at TE. Jermichael Finley was a late 3rd round pick. They could get someone like Richard Rodgers in the 4th and do very well.

If the Packers use their 1st round pick on a TE, with their porous defense, the rest of the NFC should celebrate.
Meanwhile, a porous defense was not a detriment to the Denver Broncos this season.

Meanwhile, a porous defense was not a detriment to the Denver Broncos this season.

The season isn't over yet. And if GB wants to go the Denver route in the NFC with Seattle, San Francisco and Carolina, let 'em.

Washington's Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington. 6’6” 276# would be a tough pass for me in the late First. I think he is going to be a Super Athlete, love his Basketball background. These Guys seem to do well in the Pros.

The season isn't over yet. And if GB wants to go the Denver route in the NFC with Seattle, San Francisco and Carolina, let 'em.
I don't see how if Green Bay Packers select an offensive player in the first round that does not preclude the Green Bay Packers from selecting defensive players in the next six rounds.

He's very injured about to be due a bunch of money, that could tank his value. Assuming someone would offer enough in terms of draft picks I'd be all for it, the money savings would allow us to keep Blount and Edelperson as well as restock potentially with Amaro and others.

I like the idea.

Me Too :eek: ZoisKing you are brave but you have a point Gronk can't help us from the Bench.

Washington's Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington. 6’6” 276# would be a tough pass for me in the late First. I think he is going to be a Super Athlete, love his Basketball background. These Guys seem to do well in the Pros.

looks like jimmy graham. hopefully, he can block though:D

This mock was done mainly as an exercise to get a feel for the depth and shape of the draft class, and of team needs. I've discussed my full 7 round mock for the Pats in more detail on the mock draft thread:
WR

As far as Travis Swanson goes, he would be a great pick. Perfect Patriot. But I think there are 4 solid centers in this draft (Swanson, Stork, Weston Richburg and Travis Larsen), and I'm not sure the fall-off from Swanson to the others is great enough to take him that high. Van Noy has a rarer skill set. Austin Seferian-Jenkins would also be a great pick, but I actually prefer Niklas (I have concerns about Seferian-Jenkins' work ethic, and he's had a few off-field issues) and he should be available later in the draft.

One interesting tidbit about Travis Larsen is that he is brother of former pats draft pick Ted larsen, who not that long ago viewed by many here as the future at center before getting cut in a numbers game.

I imagine they have had an eye on both Ted and Travis since.

I'd be devastated if that happened. Besides Calvin Johnson I think he is the most destructive force in all of football. He's a one of a kind. I hate the injury label he gets. Aside from his back none of it is deserved imo. Having your leg planted and having someone crush into your knee is just a freak occurence and should not add to this player is injury prone debate. The forearm was also obscure and the circumstances with the plate following it.

For the 5 or 6 games he was here they had the number 1 passing game in all of football. Mix that with a revised running game next season and you have the best and most balanced offense in the Brady Belichick era. Total domination next season with a healthy defense and another rookie class.

Not saying you are harping on the injuries at all but I know some do and that is their right. But I just don't think it is legitimate imo. It would have to be a top 10 pick and their first the next year with a chance of them finishing in the bottom 10 again to be worth it in my book. Even then I'd be hard pressed. Besides noone would do that for a TE with a torn acl I wouldn't think.

Btw if Rodgers was throwing to Gronkowski with Cobb, Nelson and Jones I'd be pretty upset knowing they would have to defend that in a super bowl.

I can understand you're feelings. I really like Gronk. He is an absolute beast and I agree that he and Calvin are very unique.

I just know at some point that we are going to have to pay him, and he's going to command a lot. I would rather spend that money on defensive linemen. I think we can get a couple guys in this draft to cement our defense, and add a guy like ASJ to help at TE.

I'm just looking at the entire team building concept instead of a lone player. When we've had to lean too much on one player or two (besides Brady of course) we've come up short.

By parlaying Gronk into multiple players of lesser talent (though hopefully above average) you spread the responsibility/liability over many people, and aren't so dumbfounded when an injury strikes.

I understand your stance though. Gronk is a bad dude, and one of the most likeable Patriots in a while.

Me Too :eek: ZoisKing you are brave but you have a point Gronk can't help us from the Bench.

I love him, but its about the big picture. I want to see our holes on defense filled, and I still think we'll have room to give Brady some weapons.

With a stout running game (this recent stretch has been amazing), Brady doesn't have to be relied on to force the issue. We can milk the clock and give our defense a bit of rest. Brady will execute, we will run, and our defense will be solid. :rocker:

I love him, but its about the big picture. I want to see our holes on defense filled, and I still think we'll have room to give Brady some weapons.

With a stout running game (this recent stretch has been amazing), Brady doesn't have to be relied on to force the issue. We can milk the clock and give our defense a bit of rest. Brady will execute, we will run, and our defense will be solid. :rocker:

The thing about Gronk is that he is a force no matter what offense we are running.

Single TE, three wideout sets he is covered by a linebacker.

power run with a fb, they are running behind his block

two tight end he can block and stay back, or release into coverage on third down.

This team has always wanted players that can stay on the field no matter the situation, and inparticular with its tight ends. Gronk just happens to be the very best in the league, and quite possibly the best of all time. You wont get another, and he has two years before his pricetag gets too rich for us, so wait it out and be thankful he is with us.

What are your thoughts on trading Gronkowski for a pick? My view is that he is injured too often. When healthy, he's amazing. Unfortunately, he's been bitten by the injury bug a lot. I love the guy, but his injury history and immaturity aren't winning games for us right now.

I'm thinking his trade value is still very high, and a team like Green Bay might be willing to part with a first rounder for him. They have a need for a TE and Gronk might fit the bill. He's certainly talented enough.

Take Green Bay's draft pick and trade back into the 2nd for ASJ while adding a pick?
If you trade Gronkowski, the New England Patriots will now have $3.3 million less to spend in unrestricted free agency.

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Patriots&Year=2014

If that were to occur, the New England Patriots would be at greater risk of losing Aqib Talib to unrestricted free agency.

One interesting tidbit about Travis Larsen is that he is brother of former pats draft pick Ted larsen, who not that long ago viewed by many here as the future at center before getting cut in a numbers game.

I imagine they have had an eye on both Ted and Travis since.

It's actually Tyler Larsen, who does not resemble Belichick nearly as much. ;)

If you trade Gronkowski, the New England Patriots will now have $3.3 million less to spend in unrestricted free agency.

» Over the Cap- New England Patriots 2014 Salary Cap and Contracts

If that were to occur, the New England Patriots would be at greater risk of losing Aqib Talib to unrestricted free agency.

Thanks for the info. I'm the farthest thing from a NFL cap expert, so any knowledge is beneficial.

Losing Talib is not an option. He's the most important player on our defense in my opinion.

The thing about Gronk is that he is a force no matter what offense we are running.

Single TE, three wideout sets he is covered by a linebacker.

power run with a fb, they are running behind his block

two tight end he can block and stay back, or release into coverage on third down.

This team has always wanted players that can stay on the field no matter the situation, and inparticular with its tight ends. Gronk just happens to be the very best in the league, and quite possibly the best of all time. You wont get another, and he has two years before his pricetag gets too rich for us, so wait it out and be thankful he is with us.

I get how good he is. No doubt about it.

I'm just more fond of a strong defense, and I believe a strong running game to complement that will get us back to our glory days. Hence, trading him to facilitate that opinion.

Mayo,
Love reading you and Manxman's work. Great stuff. The last number I saw was 92 underclassmen declarations. Was that the final #?

I think it finished at 93. Brendan Bigelow (Cal) (who is a seriously fast RB btw) declared yesterday too.

Edit: Check that, Dane Brugler says 96. :-O

It's somewhere in that range. GBN Report lists 94 right now, unofficially:

Great Blue North Draft Report

There's no requirement for prospects to publicly announce, just to inform the NFL, so it's hard to tell for a few days. Also, prospects have 72 hours to back out (if they haven't signed with an agent), and there are usually a couple of guys who change their mind.

With the deadline now over for declared underclassmen to withdraw, the NFL has officially reported that 102 underclassmen declared for the 2014 draft:

102 players gain early entry to the draft | ProFootballTalk

Wow! I can't wait to see the entire list.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back