PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 7 Round Mock from the Sporting News

Status
Not open for further replies.
DaBruinz said:
Obviously you don;t know more than me. All this shows is that you don't understand about the Patriots 3-4 defense.

Also, this is the 1st I've heard that Mangini was going to the 3-4. I think its a mistake on his part. His players are better suited for the 4-3.

BTW, what does "relied around" mean? Is that some new form of English?

The Jets defense doesn't REVOLVE around anyone. Vilma is the Jets best LB. That's all. The defense doesn't revolve around him though. And, let Mangini test his theory. BB's is proven. He's not had one ILB under 240 lbs. And there is a damn good reason. Unfortunately, you'd rather go with your speculations than proven fact. So be it. Just shows that you are close minded beyond believe and you don't know as much about the Patriots as you think you do.
DB,

Mangini is giving a fairly strong indication that he is going to a 3-4, Von Oelhofin (sp?), NE's North Dakota LB - curse it my brain flatulence is firing full time this morning - I expect him to make a bid for Mario Williams to be his Seymour or Haloti Ngata to be his Ty Warren. Dwayne Robinson is his Wilfork, he's got that 3rd rounder from last year Pooha (sp?) or some such to back up at NT, and some other 300 pounders to learn the DE behind Kimo. I fully expect the Jets to employ a base 3-4 this year. It will be interesting to see Vilma in the system, EM may opt for Hawk and move Robinson to DE with Pooha at NT, then he just needs a big DE/OLB. Look for him to be poaching guys like Thomas if he slides to the Practice Squad or scooping up Klecko if he loses his roster spot.

The Jets had a decent defense last year, they can grab a guy like Darryl Tapp in the second and move Chatham! yeh! my two brain cells finally ran into each other! Move Chatham to Willie's slot. Consider a draft of Ngata and Winston in the first, then Tapp in the second, you've got Kimo in his Seymour slot alongside Tapp as Rosie, Robinson inside at NT, Ngata in the Warren slot alongside Chatham. Vilma may or may not hold up at ILB, I have to wonder, but EM was there when BB was plotting how to use him... There are several other LBs on the roster who could plug in at ILB, or Tangini can grab a Parham/Shlegel/Hoyte heavyweight on the second day and hope Vilma is as shifty as Tedy about sliding around blocks inside...or consider a draft of Hawk, Winston, and Tapp - using one of your current DT as your Warren, EM isn't that far from having another killer 3-4 defense with two smart and fast ILBs.

Vilma should be put to the 3-4 test this year, I agree that he disappears if an OL gets through to him, but EM gets the challenge of making BB's secret plan to rule the NFL with Vilma work.

You and Remix both make some valid points in your arguments, it's just you both dialogue with the same disarming charm. :D Always nice to have you wishy-washy non-opinionated guys to liven things up! :singing:

Remix 6 said:
okay then if you know they are going to be an LB say LB you dumb ****. not saying DL. We dont need a guy whos going to stay DE or DT. We need an OLB. learn your priorities kid

To others:
find me links that say Kiwanuka is going to be an OLB. he got his ass dominated at Senior Bowl

He tried to play HURT in the Senior Bowl. At least try to use some FACTS. Find me links that say that Kiwanuka CAN'T be an OLB.

Remix 6 said:
you asked to find a guy who played under 240. DID PLAY UNDER 240 and I got Beisel for you..feel stupid dont you? We still picked him up under 240 and of course he will add weight as many other future LBs will.
Actually, now I can say you are LYING. No, I don't feel stupid because I didn't ask you to find A GUY who played under 240. If you look at post #36, you can see what I asked:
Would you care to show me any Patriots ILB under Belichick who has been under 240 lbs who has played REGULARLY? (I'm not talking about special teamers like Izzo).

Beisel didn't play regularly. Particularly after week 5. He played sporadically.

Remix 6 said:
im stupid? you guys think LenDale will fall to 52...you think Maurice Drew goes in 4th round..you think Stovall is the best WR.. lol

**** you guys dont know football. some think we can get Thomas Jones for a late 3rd..hmm if Colts got rejected why wouldnt we? You guys think so much crazy crap as if you dont know anything in NFL. your saying Jackson or any other smaller LB wont fit in with us..tell me how DeAngelo Williams fits in our offense? We havent used a small back in god knows how long. Pioli clearly said "we prefer larger backs who can fight for the tough yardage". We arent Denver..we cant get any back we want and make him amazing. We use big backs like White. Corey Dillon is big. Smith is big. Curtis Martin wasnt exactly a small scatback or speedy guy. your saying BPA for Williams? Well BPA in 2nd round for Jackson if he manages to get there because he can easily be a 1st rounder. so many people here arent looking at who the prospect is. you hear the name..and say "hes like Vrabel..lets take him" "He played for Weiss..we should take him earlier than he deserves after 1 good year" Okay I like these players too but your overrating them. Theres better out there.

A "BIG back" doesn't necessarily refer to over-all size. Maurice Drew should be considered a big back at 5'6.5 and 207 lbs. That means the guy is STACKED. If you take "BIG BACK" to strictly mean over 225 lbs, I think you are limiting yourself. Now, I don't care for Williams, in all honesty. I think he's over-rated based on the talent he faced. Drew, as a late 2nd early 3rd rounder would be a good pick because I believe he could take Faulk's or Pass' place (Pass isn't a real FB).

Remix 6 said:
Heres how we would take a player

RB
White
Maroney
-------

White is big ... Maroney isnt that small..good size for NFL back and has the breakaway speed.

Maroney weighed in a whopping 10 lbs, but 5.5" taller than Drew.

Remix 6 said:
TE
Pope
Klofenstein
Byrd

Need guys who can block and catch well. Klofenstein is a versatile player I believe..played H Back a bit too didnt he? Cooley like. Byrd isnt a great blocker but he has a lot of room to improve and is underrated. Pope has the size and we liek to draft players from Georgia

Neither Graham nor Watson were known for their blocking abilities coming out of school. With the idea that it takes 3 years for a TE to fully develop, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats draft a day 1 TE. Just not sure they will go round 1, though they might just to give Borges and Felger a coronary. :rocker:

Remix 6 said:
WR
Jackson
Hagan
Avant
Stovall

Not the fastest WRs.besides Jackson.Possesion WRs..can get up and catch ball..not afraid of crossing middle
I agree on Avant and Stovall. I don't care for Hagan because I think he can't handle pressure. Which would explain his poor play at the Senior Bowl and the combine.

Remix 6 said:
OLB
Lawson.
Wimbley.
Greenway
Carpenter

Lawson/Wimbley both played DE..we take DEs make them OLBs and they seem pretty well suited. Need to add some weight for Lawson. Greenway arguably 1 of the best LBs in college last year was leader of a great Iowa D. Carpenter is veratile can play inside or outside aswell as playing DE on 3rd rounds for the Buckeyes last season.

I am not high on Wimbley because he has very little starting experience. Lawson, Carpenter and Greenway, in that order, for me. However, I would look at Daryl Tapp and Mark Anderson in later rounds as potentially better value.

Remix 6 said:
DB
Whitner
Cromartie

Whitner can play CB or S..great in zone but okay in man to man. Size is a queston at 5"10-5"11..but I think he can be like Doss or Mike Brown.Cromartie carries the rare size with speed..probably able to teach him S since he missed last year and hasnt really built up his game as a CB because hes only played so little
Cromartie? You just lost ANY credibility you had. The guy has virtually no starting experience. He's all combine and potential. But that means he's probably 2-3 years away from a major impact.

NEM said:
BB will trade 4 of those pics away. He will never draft 10 players.

NEM - I refer you to the 2000, 2001 and 2003 drafts. In each of those years, BB drafted 10 players. My feeling is that BB will draft 10 players and probably add another in a trade.

NEM said:
That was then, this is now. I cant see him doing it with the situation as it is now.
Heh, Db, who is the newb? Haven't seen this guy around.

NEM said:
That was then, this is now. I cant see him doing it with the situation as it is now.

Really? So, you think that the Patriots are Set enough with their roster that they only need 6-7 picks?

Glad that BB is the one drafting and not you, NEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back