PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriot fans petition NFL on clock stoppage [Debunked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pat fans pettition the NFL

Can we just move on...

This petition is absolutely ABSURD.

I just re-watched the play. It was that 4th-and-1 play where Jacobs dove for the first down. Carey and the rest of the refs stopped the clock, cleared out players from around the LOS, and Carey eyed the markers to see if it was a FD. He didn't call out the chains, because it was obvious it was a first.

The ref has every right to stop the clock in this situation:

From the OFFICIAL 2007 NFL rulebook - not that dumbed-down "Digest of Rules" the author of this petition used:

Rule 4, Section 5, Article 5:

Article 5 Provided that calling timeout is not in conflict with another rule, the Referee
may suspend play and stop the clock (Referee’s timeout) at any time without penalty to
either team when playing time is being consumed because of an unintentional delay.
Such situations include but are not limited to the following:
(a) when there is the possibility of a measurement for a first down, or if the Referee is
consulting with a captain about one;
(b) when there is an undue pileup on the runner, or while determining possession after
a fumble while time is in;
(c) when there is an undue delay by officials in spotting the ball for the next snap;
(d) if the snap is made before the officials can assume their positions. See 4-6-5-b if it
is a repeated act;
(e) when there is an injury to an official or member of the chain crew;
(f) during an officials’ conference (see 15-1-6); or
(g) while repairing or replacing game equipment, except player equipment.
After a Referee’s timeout, the game clock will start pursuant to Rule 4, Section 3, as if the
Referee’s timeout had not occurred.

Both (a) and (c) apply.

This can't be true, because that would really be cheating!

I noticed it during the game... My dad remembers me going nuts... I was screaming out, WHY HAS THE CLOCK STOPPED! And then I said, look they ran 2 straight running plays, with no stopage of the clock, and only 8 seconds ran off... Then Joe buck said they added time... I was during the game SCreaming WTF!!!

Perhaps no one did it intentionally... but reviewing the game, there was a huge mistake by the time keeper and gave the giants at least an additional 30 seconds.

A run play in goal line formation, which takes a long time to line back up, then a QB scramble then a timeout... EASILY in any other game, thats 30 seconds...

If that 30 seconds was ran off like it was supposed to be... then the "Catch" would have needed to be in the endzone, not the 20ish yard line...

Last edited:

Pats1, then rewatch it and tell me when the ref signals for the clock to start again, which should have been as they placed the ball, and when the clock actually started....

If they stopped it, thats fine, in the rules... but once he eyes the first down, he should have been worling his arms around starting the clock, yet it only starts when the Giants hike the ball as if it were a timeout, or an incompletion.

In any other game, 2 back to back running plays takes more than 8 seconds. Especially when the play before that was also a first down, and the clock still keeps moving.

Pats1, then rewatch it and tell me when the ref signals for the clock to start again, which should have been as they placed the ball, and when the clock actually started....

If they stopped it, thats fine, in the rules... but once he eyes the first down, he should have been worling his arms around starting the clock, yet it only starts when the Giants hike the ball as if it were a timeout, or an incompletion.

In any other game, 2 back to back running plays takes more than 8 seconds. Especially when the play before that was also a first down, and the clock still keeps moving.

Exactly. :mad:

Here's the final drive (Part 1 of 2 videos, but this part includes the play of discussion)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18cHJGq2HO0

Jacobs is down at 1:28. Another 6 seconds are drained from the clock that shouldn't have been, before the clock is stopped at 1:22. As an aside, when the refs are spotting it as a FD, Adalius Thomas is making the clock motion with his hand. When the Giants are about to snap it, the 6 seconds that were unjustly taken off were added back on. I'll have to clock at the rulebook more closely, but I'm sure there's something in there saying the clock stops when there is a timer error like that.

From the OFFICIAL 2007 NFL rulebook - not that dumbed-down "Digest of Rules" the author of this petition used:

Where can I find the official rulebook? I bought the damned digest thinking it was the real deal, only to be very disappointed....

Look, I know this loss is SO hard to digest. GET OVER IT. The reason I enjoy this forum is because people are for the most part objective and darn knowledgable about football. I KNOW it is hard to accept the Giants beat you, but it was not your God-given right to win this game. The nonsense with holding calls and time and waaaa waaa waaa is so sad. To the 90 percent here who accept this loss for what it is,I hope the Pats make it back to the Super Bowl. You deserve it after this year. . To the 10 percent who are sore-losers...let this loss sting.

Rule 4, Section 1, Article 4:

Article 4 The stadium electric clock shall be the official time. The game clock operator
shall start and stop the clock upon the signal of any official in accordance with the rules.
The Line Judge (15-5-2) shall supervise timing of the game, and in case the stadium
clock becomes inoperative, or if it is not being operated correctly, he shall take over official
timing on the field.
Note: Game officials can correct the game clock only before the next legal snap or kick,
including an untimed down or try.

Exactly. :mad:

Here's the final drive (Part 1 of 2 videos, but this part includes the play of discussion)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18cHJGq2HO0

That's HALARIOUS!!!

The Ref walks away from the ball signalling for the clock to start...clock 1:28
Eli making LOS adjustments 3,4 seconds... clock 1:28
Ball is hiked... clock 1:28
Drops back, finds nothing... clock 1:28
Rolls out, scrambling... clock 1:28
Gets tackled from behind, goes to the ground... clock STARTS... The clock didn't even start until he was tackled... Since is was a "fumble" the clock runs down to 1:20, ad the Giants take a TO.

Then.. right after that, I watched too long... the ball went RIGHT to Asante... vomit... how do you not catch that... puke...

Where can I find the official rulebook? I bought the damned digest thinking it was the real deal, only to be very disappointed....

I don't understand why the NFL doesn't give out the real rulebook on their site. It only incites stuff like this.

Some media outlets will post it (think some Chicago paper did...it's also on the NFLMedia.com site for anyone with access to that). Miguel posted it last summer:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=59538

Look, I know this loss is SO hard to digest. GET OVER IT. The reason I enjoy this forum is because people are for the most part objective and darn knowledgable about football. I KNOW it is hard to accept the Giants beat you, but it was not your God-given right to win this game. The nonsense with holding calls and time and waaaa waaa waaa is so sad. To the 90 percent here who accept this loss for what it is,I hope the Pats make it back to the Super Bowl. You deserve it after this year. . To the 10 percent who are sore-losers...let this loss sting.

Oh Dude, I understand... There is no way to change it, and if it were the other way around, there is no changing it... what happens on the field happens on the field... Im just saying that there was a major malfunction in time keeping.

And for it to be a game winning drive in the 4th quarter within 2 minutes... it's frustrating that the powers that be don't make that part of the game, a complete success... Is it that hard to keep time correctly?

Imagine if this were Europe, and the World Cup... We might still be rioting if the refs screwed up the injury time and enabled a team to get a score outside of the correct time...

Teams scoring outside of the allotted injury time in soccer is actually quite common.

That's HALARIOUS!!!

The Ref walks away from the ball signalling for the clock to start...clock 1:28
Eli making LOS adjustments 3,4 seconds... clock 1:28
Ball is hiked... clock 1:28
Drops back, finds nothing... clock 1:28
Rolls out, scrambling... clock 1:28
Gets tackled from behind, goes to the ground... clock STARTS... The clock didn't even start until he was tackled... Since is was a "fumble" the clock runs down to 1:20, ad the Giants take a TO.

Then.. right after that, I watched too long... the ball went RIGHT to Asante... vomit... how do you not catch that... puke...

That seemed to be a FOX problem. Keep in mind the FOX clock is just someone in their truck trying to keep up with whatever happens on the real clock.

If you watch that play more closely, here's what you see:

1:28 until Eli is tackled, and for a few seconds after that as there's a skirmish in the pile.

Then down to 1:27 in real time. Then from 1:27 to 1:26 to 1:23 in less than 1 second real time. Then from 1:23 to 1:22 to 1:21 to 1:20 to 1:19 in about 1-2 seconds real time. Then a short pause. Then 1:17 to 1:16 to 1:15 in 1 second real time. Then down to 1:14 in real time.

Sorry, but I think that's FOX trying to get synced up. Keep in mind there are about 100 whistles going, and Tom Coughlin had to practically jump onto the pile to get his timeout called.

After the replay, the clock is back to 1:20. That's obviously either FOX or the real clock (or both) trying to make up for when Coughlin actually called the timeout.

That seemed to be a FOX problem. Keep in mind the FOX clock is just someone in their truck trying to keep up with whatever happens on the real clock.

If you watch that play more closely, here's what you see:

1:28 until Eli is tackled, and for a few seconds after that as there's a skirmish in the pile.

Then down to 1:27 in real time. Then from 1:27 to 1:26 to 1:23 in less than 1 second real time. Then from 1:23 to 1:22 to 1:21 to 1:20 to 1:19 in about 1-2 seconds real time. Then a short pause. Then 1:17 to 1:16 to 1:15 in 1 second real time. Then down to 1:14 in real time.

Sorry, but I think that's FOX trying to get synced up. Keep in mind there are about 100 whistles going, and Tom Coughlin had to practically jump onto the pile to get his timeout called.

After the replay, the clock is back to 1:20. That's obviously either FOX or the real clock (or both) trying to make up for when Coughlin actually called the timeout.

how do you know, where is your source for the "real" clock...

Not that it matters... **** happens... we lost... Asante had the game in his hands... he was ready for it, paused, watched it coming, jumped, and didn't catch it... probably took his eyes off it to start celebrating.... grrr...:mad:

Can we please dump this thread? This is not only unhealthy but it's not reflective of the overwhelming majority of Pats fans.

Some of you want to prohibit other fans criticizing an officiating crew because you’re afraid members from say – the Colts board – will now look down you?

Goodness…

Some of you want to prohibit other fans criticizing an officiating crew because you’re afraid members from say – the Colts board – will now look down you?

Goodness…

I just think we should move on, and this makes us look whiny. We've been accusing other fans of whining all year and now we have a thread like this? I'm 100% that if the Giants had lost they could have found something like this and made a petition just like this and then what would you say?

Guys, I wasn't on the board at the time...
But I bet there were 100's of threads on a positive Ref call that happened in 2001 on a certain snowy day in Foxborro...

Sometimes you get the calls... sometimes you don't...

Either way, breaking it down, and talking about it, brought us great new NFL sayings as "The Tuck Rule"...which is now NFL lore...

I'm sure we will all be seeing and hearing about this "Drive" for centuries to come... unless we are lucky to face them again next year for the soon to be famous "The Slaughter".... 59-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye