PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriot fans petition NFL on clock stoppage [Debunked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pat fans pettition the NFL

I just think we should move on, and this makes us look whiny. We've been accusing other fans of whining all year and now we have a thread like this? I'm 100% that if the Giants had lost they could have found something like this and made a petition just like this and then what would you say?

Well I agree the petition is stupid...
But breaking down the film, sounds like a rationale thing to do here...

I just think we should move on, and this makes us look whiny. We've been accusing other fans of whining all year and now we have a thread like this? I'm 100% that if the Giants had lost they could have found something like this and made a petition just like this and then what would you say?
NO leave this thread up. If you read it you actually see the MAJORITY of Pats fans saying this is BS and has nothing to do with the loss. Believe me I am a GIants fan and when I see this thread I realize that the media blows things out of proportion and the majority of Pats fans are no different than Giants fans, they LOVE their team but undertstand they got beat. MOST of you have manned up and this thread helps prove it.

Not that what I, a Giants fan, think matters to you anyway LOL :rocker:

Re: Sicky Shyt!!!!

Crap like this is why I can't go to a bar here in SoCal with any boston sports gear on without being harassed. The sad part is, when I see crap like this, I can hardly blame them for not liking me.

Crap like this is why I can't go to a bar here in SoCal with any boston sports gear on without being harassed. The sad part is, when I see crap like this, I can hardly blame them for not liking me.

You seriously get ragged on at sports bars because what other fans read on Patriot Message boards?

Me thinks spygate, and us winning so many games over the past 7 years has more to do with their hate for you as a patriot fan.

Everyone hated the Cowboys during their run as well... it comes with the territory, you have to learn to take shots when your at the top. Everytime your teams falls, it's their rare chance to take a shot at you... When their team losses... oh they do that all the time, no biggie...

No one says shyt to me down here in Tampa, except for the occasional fellow Pats fan who wants to talk football or who beeps at me when they see my Pats/Red Sox stickers on my truck window.

Not seeing how either of the rules the mod states cover it. But I'm not sure I care.

I do think that there are a LOT of people here that are so scared of looking like whiners they aren't bothering to question some of the BS stuff that happened.

The Pats should've been ahead by 21 points, so this crap doesn't/shouldn't matter. But some of the "fans" who jump on some of the other "fans"...irritate me.

But then again, as has been stated today, I'm not very smart (I know because a mod told me).

Last edited:

Not seeing how either of the rules the mod states cover it. But I'm not sure I care.

How so? The petition claimed the clock should have kept running. The rules clearly state it shouldn't have.

How so? The petition claimed the clock should have kept running. The rules clearly state it shouldn't have.

The rule says
From the OFFICIAL 2007 NFL rulebook - not that dumbed-down "Digest of Rules" the author of this petition used:

Rule 4, Section 5, Article 5:

Article 5 Provided that calling timeout is not in conflict with another rule, the Referee
may suspend play and stop the clock (Referee’s timeout) at any time without penalty to
either team when playing time is being consumed because of an unintentional delay.
Such situations include but are not limited to the following:
(a) when there is the possibility of a measurement for a first down, or if the Referee is
consulting with a captain about one;
(b) when there is an undue pileup on the runner, or while determining possession after
a fumble while time is in;
(c) when there is an undue delay by officials in spotting the ball for the next snap;
(d) if the snap is made before the officials can assume their positions. See 4-6-5-b if it
is a repeated act;
(e) when there is an injury to an official or member of the chain crew;
(f) during an officials’ conference (see 15-1-6); or
(g) while repairing or replacing game equipment, except player equipment.
After a Referee’s timeout, the game clock will start pursuant to Rule 4, Section 3, as if the
Referee’s timeout had not occurred.

And when I watched it there was no sign of them thinking about measuring--Carey ran over to the ball and made the first down signal, and there was no delay (c).

Just to be sure, I ran this by one of the most "it is what it is" guys I know, and he became apoplectic.

No offense to you and what you think you saw--this is just what I think I saw.

Fact of the matter is the Giants aren't that good, and in a normal Pats game the Pats should've been up 21 and it shouldn't even be an issue, and the Giants are the champs and congratulations to them.

But none of that changes my opinion that about 90% of the officiating done in that game was bogus--from the no call holding to the no call OPI to the screw ups with the clock.

There were some "issues" with the clock but that did not win or lose this game. Forget the online petition.

The rule says
From the OFFICIAL 2007 NFL rulebook - not that dumbed-down "Digest of Rules" the author of this petition used:

Article 5 Provided that calling timeout is not in conflict with another rule, the Referee
may suspend play and stop the clock (Referee’s timeout) at any time without penalty to
either team when playing time is being consumed because of an unintentional delay.
(a) when there is the possibility of a measurement for a first down, or if the Referee is
(b) when there is an undue pileup on the runner, or while determining possession after
(c) when there is an undue delay by officials in spotting the ball for the next snap;
(d) if the snap is made before the officials can assume their positions. See 4-6-5-b if it
is a repeated act;
After a Referee’s timeout, the game clock will start pursuant to Rule 4, Section 3, as if the

And when I watched it there was no sign of them thinking about measuring--Carey ran over to the ball and made the first down signal, and there was no delay (c).

Just to be sure, I ran this by one of the most "it is what it is" guys I know, and he became apoplectic.

Fact of the matter is the Giants aren't that good, and in a normal Pats game the Pats should've been up 21 and it shouldn't even be an issue, and the Giants are the champs and congratulations to them.

But none of that changes my opinion that about 90% of the officiating done in that game was bogus--from the no call holding to the no call OPI to the screw ups with the clock.

Heh, the Cowboys AND the Packers also thought the Giants aren't that "good" after being beaten. So funny each week it was "If we played them 10 times we woulda won 9 of em" What makes you so sure? What, pray tell do the Giants have to do to be "good"? They beat 3 teams on the road and the God-like Pats in the Super Bowl. When does good enter the formula for you? Ever think maybe the Cowboys, Packers and Pats played poorly because the Giants had an effect?

Heh, the Cowboys AND the Packers also thought the Giants aren't that "good" after being beaten. So funny each week it was "If we played them 10 times we woulda won 9 of em" What makes you so sure? What, pray tell do the Giants have to do to be "good"? They beat 3 teams on the road and the God-like Pats in the Super Bowl. When does good enter the formula for you? Ever think maybe the Cowboys, Packers and Pats played poorly because the Giants had an effect?

Well I have proof. The Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said, "After looking at the tape, I feel like the best team lost the game, I thought we outplayed them."

Now that this has made it to the mainstream news..a bit embarrassment....I do not really know what to think..at the time, I sensed that the clock was messing up and there were plays with the clock moving slow not at all..and that extra time was given because of the close first down..I will need to look closer at that..still...the Giants woud have scored and the Pats less time to to make a miracle finish. two three seconds?? .so unless there is some OTHER point made....it's a moot point..game over...

There is nothing that will change.
We can't change the result, and can't change history, but everyone can admit the time was stopped, and delayed, which only favoried the giants.
3rd and 10, complete
4th and 1 for first down
QB scramle - Timeout

Total clock run 8 seconds...
IF that is true...3 plays 8 seconds...that is HARDLY what it should have been...BUT..in the end..the Giants would have scored and...the Pats would have less time for ANY comeback...even GIVEN the clock mess up...That is what I do not undesrtand..

The rule says

is a repeated act;

Carey and the rest of the refs cleared out players from around the LOS area. Carey then turned toward the sideline to eye the first down markers - well after the ball was spotted. Then he signalled first down. Rule (a) applies more. It was a 4th down play where Jacobs barely got over the line. The refs just didn't spot the ball and get back in their positions. There was an undue delay (5-6 seconds) while they spotted and checked for a first down.

Carey and the rest of the refs cleared out players from around the LOS area. Carey then turned toward the sideline to eye the first down markers - well after the ball was spotted. Then he signalled first down. Rule (a) applies more. It was a 4th down play where Jacobs barely got over the line. The refs just didn't spot the ball and get back in their positions. There was an undue delay (5-6 seconds) while they spotted and checked for a first down.
My question is two fold...Why did they add on the 6 seconds?What was that from why?? Given the fact that Carey signaled a first down..why AFTER that is the clock not running? Given that from Jacobs being stopped to clearing the players and finding out it's a first down the clock SHOULD have been stopped...why did the clock NOT start when he indicated a first down? Some 12 to 15 seconds went by from then till the refs blew the whistle and started the clock...
I do think there was some bad things happening with the clock, but all that would have done is given the Patriots less time at the end.

The NFL acknowledged there was problems with the game clock. I don't think it had any effect on the outcome of the game. The petition is stupid and only makes the fans look like sore losers. There should be an online petition to protest the current online petition.

Has an online petition ever done anyone any good?

This petition is absolutely ABSURD.

I just re-watched the play. It was that 4th-and-1 play where Jacobs dove for the first down. Carey and the rest of the refs stopped the clock, cleared out players from around the LOS, and Carey eyed the markers to see if it was a FD. He didn't call out the chains, because it was obvious it was a first.

The ref has every right to stop the clock in this situation:

is a repeated act;

Both (a) and (c) apply.

While I agree it probably didnt affect the game, it was mishandled. The clock was at 1:22 when they stopped play to think about measuring. They didn't and at the end of the next paly, the clock was still at 1:22. Basically, they stopped it as if it were a dead ball, but should have restarted immediately after deciding not to measure. Instead they added 6 seconds back on. The entire time between end of play and next play on the clock totalled only the 6 seconds they added back (Im not sure why). Probably should have been about 15 to 20 seconds different.

Last year versus the Colts we had something to legitimately whine about. We could nitpick this Giants game to death and find problems, but in the end the officiating didn't cost the Pats the game -- the offensive line and a defensive meltdown in the final two minutes did.

Man I really hate reading stuff like this because it makes the patriots fans seem like sore losers,the fact is the patriots lost the super bowl to the giants,so its better to move on and accept the defeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes