PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pass Rush?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark12

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Who might the Patriots look at in free agency or trade once the lockout is lifted? With the draft over and no one drafted to help this area of concern, do we go with Cunngham, TBC, and Nikovich?

I think the Pats should try to get someone in a trade or a free-agency. Thoughts?

The Patriots led the NFL in sacks from week 8 on. Not as big of a deal as everyone wants to think.

experience is what is most needed by the defense

I'll pay them to sign me...

I'm not going to even pretend to know more football than most if not all of the guys here, because I don't. But I still think the pass rush is a weakness of this team.

There was a reason the Pats put Arrington at DE vs the Colts. They needed someone to apply some pressure. Yeah that's just one crazy situation but I think it needs to be addressed. Maybe BB really didn't like any of the guys in this draft or maybe he wants to give the Cunningham, Ninkovich, Wright, Tully another chance to get better before spending a pick on an OLB. Who knows but IMO I don't agree with people saying it's not a big deal and I don't agree with people saying it's a dire situation. I think it's a moderate need.

From what I've gathered from reading a lot of posts here is that OLB is such a risky pick because of the projection you have to make. So with that said, maybe BB doesn't like taking that risk unless he's absolutey sure about a player or taking chances in 2nd round like Cunningham for example.

I think Reiss puts it nicely:

Final analysis: Belichick loves drafting/collecting cornerbacks; not so much outside linebackers.

Thoughts on Patriots 2011 draft - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Last edited:
i do think the need for pass rush from our front 3 is a bit overstated. People are forgetting that Ty Warren is coming back next year - he was out all of last year and he's a pro bowler.

Ty Warren - Vince Wilfork - Gerard Warren = a lot of big bodies to occupy the gaps.

We need more production from our outside linebackers though. Im happy with Spikes and Mayo on the inside. I think BB is thinking that we can solve some of the OLB issues in house with Cunningham, Tyrone Mckenzie, etc. We don't see these guys play on a day to day basis - the coaching staff does.

The whole pass rush fixation from the media is caused by people like mike reiss who know next to nothing about the game. We gave up a lot of passing yards last year, so everyone says the only to solve it is by applying more pressure. :rolleyes: Well, how about a better secondary?

A young secondary of McCourty - Dowling; Meriweather - Chung I think is pretty good. Plus we have Bodden, Sanders and McGowan as backups.

The Patriots problem has been not being able to get off the field on defense.

Teams converted 3rd downs 47% and 4th downs 60%. 70% of the first downs made against us were against our passing Defense.

I don't believe it's a result of pass rush but rather than an over commitment to a read and react defense. We have guys that can collapse pockets and shoot gaps.

We disguise coverages but don't disguise blitzes or overloads. We never have.

Overall. IMHO, we've become too predictable

Mike Wright will be coming back (he had 6 sacks in half a season), Ty Warren is back. That alone will probably equal 15 or so sacks. Then hopefully Cunnngham will add some sacks, as well as a healthy TBC and an improved Ninkovich. Then, they will probably bring in some free agents as well (I hope).

Last edited by a moderator:
Stroud, Warren & Bodden returning to compliment projected improvement and a nice young DB in the rotation. New England under BB has always been a sum of all parts.

Injuries are the killer. I'd like to see what the first choice 11 can do without experiencing major injuries for long periods of the season.

Last edited:
The Patriots led the NFL in sacks from week 8 on. Not as big of a deal as everyone wants to think.
Funny how so many fans and critics seem to neglect this part when analyzing the Pats personnel choices ...............

We seem to have increased the quality of our DB's, and the pass rush can come from the secondary...

Have felt for a while now that BB is evolving this defense into something new and novel, people often forget that BB figured out how to use LT effectively.. and his lack of picking up pass rushers is not an oversight.

More days in first place...

Jets cut Vern Gholston...BB signs him. VG leads the league in sacks. Jets fans heads explode.

There was a reason the Pats put Arrington at DE vs the Colts. They needed someone to apply some pressure
:[/QUOTE

Wut......?

Intriguing comment from Colorado's offensive line coach about Solder:

“I was shocked at Colorado when he was moved to the offensive line. I thought he was someone who could have played defensive line, and been an all-Big 12 defensive end. I was thinking along the lines of Ed ‘Too Tall’ Jones from the old Dallas Cowboys days. But we had a tremendous need on the offensive line and I was delighted to get him."

It will never happen of course, but there you have it.

Learning more about ... Nate Solder - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference