PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Owens Act Not Welcome In Foxborough

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think for this to even be entertained as a possibility BB Ernie and nick and Floyd need to Talk to T O and determine what is his drive intentions and how is his attitude. I feel we have a player Taylor Price who has the potential, potential skill set of a Owens. It could either be helpful or equally devastating to have TO mentor a young Price. I believe especially with the huge onus the passing game has in today's NFL the thought has to be entertained. Another aspect people aren't even talking about how would our number 81 feel he's heading into his last pay day and i'm sure the thought of TO taking scores and big plays away from him may not sit right. That being said If Randy really wants a Lombardi this may be what the dr ordered. 2 receivers at the twilight of their prolific careers only missing 1 thing. Hollywood couldn't write a better script.
So i'd take the chance if his mindset checks out. He has seemed to grow up and mature. It's not like he killed a man. cough cough lewis, brutally tortured mans best friend, cough cough vick. or rape young girls like ben rapistberger. So I know i'd have my popcorn ready the offense would be electric.

You could have Owens on a 6 week trial.

Stick Welker on PUP and let him rest up fully.

Then you have got Moss and Owens on the outside with Price and Tate learning and getting less reps. You've got Edelman and Holt taking slot duties with Tate taking a few as well.

If he is lights out for 6 weeks, keep him around, cut Holt when Welker is ready.

A 6 week trial could make sense. You just have to be sure he wouldn't be a negative influence in the locker room at all.

My concern with Holt and Patten agewiose is that I believe both are done. My brother-in-law is a Rams fan and he told me after the '08 season that Holt was done. Holt did nothing last year with Jax to change my thinking on this.

Meanwhile, I live in Bills land and watched TO play last year. He's not anywhere near finished as a player. Yes, he drops balls, but he also gets open, plenty and deep down the field much of that time. Last year in Buffalo, this didn't matter because not only did the Bills not have a QB capable of getting TO the ball downfield but the OL didn't give the QB enough time to find TO down field. I am presuming this wouldn't be the case with the Pats and that TO would be wicked dangerous. In fact, I believe TO might well be a superior deep threat than Moss is at this stage of their careers. Would having two deep threats be a problem schemewise ..... I don't know but, if the cost sin't much, I'd like to see them give it a try. One thing is for sure, opposing defenses would certainly have to respect the Pats deep passing game if they trotted out Moss and TO.

Bob, I agree with you on TO....somewhat. On a team with BOTH bad QB play AND a bad OL TO's numbers aren't bad. I think if pure talent was the only issue, TO would be a viable option for the Pats. However when the Pats were looking for veteran receivers they chose to go with Holt and on that issue I strongly disagree.

Edelman, Tate and Price are the future of the Pats WR corps, and I am VERY optimistic about their development (especially Edelman and Price). David Patten, IMHO, will be a nice camp story, but I don't see him making the team. Holt however has shown that he can still play, even with a bad passing team. I can easily see him being a huge upgrade over Sam Aiken opposite Moss (but who wouldn't be. ;) ). He is an exceptional route runner and a great fit in an offense that values being in the right place at the right time a lot more than just pure speed.

The only way Holt isn't a key player in the Pats passing game is if one of the young kids just develops a lot faster than expected, but even if that's so, Holt will remain a key factor until Wes gets back

As for TO - I wouldn't have a problem with him if injuries depleted what we've already put together at WR. But right now, I don't see the need.

A 6 week trial could make sense. You just have to be sure he wouldn't be a negative influence in the locker room at all.

First step out of line, he walks into Bills office with Bill, Robert, St. Thomas of Pigskin, Kevin Faulk and Randy. Owner, Head Coach, 3 leaders of the Offense.

They discuss it. If they don't get something agreed, cut his ass.

If they agree, give him a final warning.

Bob, I agree with you on TO....somewhat. On a team with BOTH bad QB play AND a bad OL TO's numbers aren't bad. I think if pure talent was the only issue, TO would be a viable option for the Pats. However when the Pats were looking for veteran receivers they chose to go with Holt and on that issue I strongly disagree.

Edelman, Tate and Price are the future of the Pats WR corps, and I am VERY optimistic about their development (especially Edelman and Price). David Patten, IMHO, will be a nice camp story, but I don't see him making the team. Holt however has shown that he can still play, even with a bad passing team. I can easily see him being a huge upgrade over Sam Aiken opposite Moss (but who wouldn't be. ;) ). He is an exceptional route runner and a great fit in an offense that values being in the right place at the right time a lot more than just pure speed.

The only way Holt isn't a key player in the Pats passing game is if one of the young kids just develops a lot faster than expected, but even if that's so, Holt will remain a key factor until Wes gets back

As for TO - I wouldn't have a problem with him if injuries depleted what we've already put together at WR. But right now, I don't see the need.

PFK, I'm as optimistic as you are that the WR kid's show promise but promise isn't something I'm too keen on banking on. Not when this offense's success is predicated on passing as much as it is and the only certainty at WR currently is Moss.

If the kids don't excel (likely as rookies in a complicated offense) and if Holt is the JAG I believe he is at this stage of the game, then I fear our goose is cooked before we even take to the field ....... yet again!

No one questions TO's talent until now. Hes a bit older and last year was not very good (QB play in BUF didn't help).

The problem is the attitude.

Unless we are down to our last 2 WRs, no need.

I feel we maybe able to get a dillon type of motivated superbowl run out of him. Maybe playing on a dismal buffalo offense opened his mind that hey I need to get in line if I ever want to sniff a play off run again. If anyone can coach him it be BB. Also god knows we don't want the jets to beat us to the punch. Rex wouldn't care how he acted if he made plays. ps. If we draft Harvey Unga I feel we'd have the bruiser we need on short downs our offense would be very potent.

So would TO’s supposed trial period go something like this?

“May I have your attention please. Will Terrell Owens please report to the principle’s office. Mr. Owens, it is our understanding that you issued a negative comment and were physically demonstrative on the sidelines during last week’s game against the Jets in regards to a passing play where you were open and did not receive the ball. It is also common knowledge that you cursed loudly in the locker room when referring to the same play. As you know none of the other children act in this manner and we find this behavior unacceptable. Do you have an explanation for these outbursts?”

“Explanation! What, I can’t talk? You knew what I’m like when you begged me to come here. What’s with the baffled looks on your faces? Want me to do 100 sit ups or something? Is there a camera around?”

“Mr. Owens, we need your assurance that these outbursts and that no other distractions will ever occur again while you’re in attendance here.”

“Yeah sure, I’ll wrap my entire head in duct tape. How about 100 push ups instead? Where’s that camera?”

Sigh…Nick, call that Price kid and get him back here.”

“Sorry Bill, he’s attending school in Indianapolis.”

You're presumption is that TO wouldn't make the team better therefore why take reps away from a youngster. The argument against this opinion is that TO would make the team better so therefore would justify taking reps away from the youngsters.

Frankly, after Moss (and Welker IF he's healthy), I don't see much strength in the receiving corps. Certainly, not enough to enter the season knowing for certain that it's a strong unit. The kid's, Price and Tate, are unknowns and Patten and Holt are treading on the wrong side of 30 and offer no certainty themselves.

My opinion is that TO could step onto this team and instantly be the 3rd best receiver on it, giving Welker the benefit of the doubt that he makes it back 100% healthy and perform to his recent level. This is not a certainty!
I agree with u man......after moss and welker ......a lot of question marks.......TO would not be bad signing at all....just need to make the rules very plain to him and see what happens

For the most part, TO got a bad start here in Dallas because of a hamstring injury that limited him in TC, and as a result, Bledsoe didn't get many opportunities to work with him in terms of timing, connecting on routes, seeing how each other ticks, etc.

In wk1 of the 2006 season @Jax, Owens was wide open on a post for a TD in the 3rd qtr that would have given us a 7 pt lead, but Bledsoe missed him b/c obviously, they didn't have much time to work together in TC. And it was also a problem for that 1st qtr of the season, in particular Owens' "homecoming" to Philly, when Bledsoe mis-connected with him a couple of times for potential TDs.

No, not defending Bledsoe(although it was time, and rightly so, to give the reigns to Romo), but the timing aspect et al was just unfortunate, and it had nothing to do with TO disliking Parcells, and vice-versa.(the whole thing was overblown - if anything, remember the @Carolina game when TO and Parcells were smooching at the end on the sidelines)

And what didn't help either was Owens breaking his finger in wk2 when Sean Taylor popped him - he wasn't the same all year that he used to be in his career.

With that being said - I never thought he was as bad as the media and alot of the fans make him out to be. No, not exactly a model teammate, but no different from 1/2 of the people in this league who have a somewhat selfish egotistical side. Wade Phillips seemed to have liked him. Despite all the reports how Jason Garrett got headaches, I never once saw any hints from Garrett that he had a dislike for TO. And pretty much all these stories how he hated Jason Witten, how he conspired with Patrick Crayton and Roy Williams to get Garrett to get them involved in the offense more, etc, etc was nothing more than 3rd party rumors that got overtly played out.

Also - over on the Cowboys MB - I found it odd how the same people that blamed TO 99% for our Dec meltdowns from 2006 - 2008, in particular 2008, were also the same people who wanted Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett to get fired, who wanted Romo benched, who largely blamed our OL for all the offensive ills, who wanted Terrence Newman to get cut, who thought Pacman's antics ruined our season, the whole 9 yards. I mean it's either one or the other, can't have it both ways.

Plus in 2007 when SUPPOSEDLY Owens "may" have had some antics throughout the year, NOT ONE word out of even the anti-TO people not only from the CMB, but also from the Dallas sports media when we went 13-3. I mean if he's a headache, then come out and say it, instead of waiting a year later when everything starts to get into the crapper to come out and act like they somehow discovered this for the first time.

For the most part, TO got a bad start here in Dallas because of a hamstring injury that limited him in TC, and as a result, Bledsoe didn't get many opportunities to work with him in terms of timing, connecting on routes, seeing how each other ticks, etc.

In wk1 of the 2006 season @Jax, Owens was wide open on a post for a TD in the 3rd qtr that would have given us a 7 pt lead, but Bledsoe missed him b/c obviously, they didn't have much time to work together in TC. And it was also a problem for that 1st qtr of the season, in particular Owens' "homecoming" to Philly, when Bledsoe mis-connected with him a couple of times for potential TDs.
Interesting to compare and contrast Owens' in Dallas with Moss' first year in New England. Moss also had a hamstring injury in training camp - many were speculating he would be cut before the season started. However in Moss' first game he caught 9 passes for 183 yards and a touchdown in a 38-14 victory over the Jets. Tough to say exactly how much of that is the difference between Brady and Bledsoe, the coaching staffs, the opponents, or Moss and Owens themselves.

Last edited:
Interesting to compare and contrast Owens' in Dallas with Moss' first year in New England. Moss also had a hamstring injury in training camp - many were speculating he would be cut before the season started. However in Moss' first game he caught 9 passes for 183 yards and a touchdown in a 38-14 victory over the Jets. Tough to say exactly how much of that is the difference between Brady and Bledsoe, the coaching staffs, the opponents, or Moss and Owens themselves.

In addition, there were other factors - Mike Vandergact got injured in TC, and was never the same K throughout the year. We started out the first couple of games with some no-name off the street, and he missed a critical FG in the 3rd qtr(after Bledsoe overthrew Owens for a sure TD), when that itself would have given us a 13-10 lead and momentum(instead, Jax drove right down the field to take a 17-10 lead).

Our LT Flozell Adams was recovering from a torn ACL from the year before, and was giving up sacks he usually doesn't(even to duck-footed Bledsoe). And with Julius Jones being a disappointment, and despite MB3's emergence, our running game wasn't very good(ie-Leonard Davis wasn't on the team yet, which was part of the problem with our bad run game).

And Owens' finger injury in wk2 made matters worse(he started dropping balls, something he never did before).

Overall, it was hard to say - the only good stretch Owens had was in Nov 2007 - 3 straight weeks against NFCE opponents, he just went on a tear. Against his former teammates at the Linc, at the Meadowlands, and he saved our tail against the Redskins when it looked like he Skins had control of that game lock and key. And of course, the critical Packers game at the end of the month. Outside of that, he was pretty quiet, for some reason.

I wanna see it. Whether it works or not is secondary to me. I like high risk-high reward scenarios. And I like my athletes to be high profile blowhards anyway. And it would bring the media spotlight back onto The Pats because, let's face it, this team has been in Timbuktu as far as that's concerned since the 2nd game of 2008.
If the locker room blows up, so be it. At least it will be INTERESTING. Better than picking the depth order of the 53 man roster in the middle of July anyway. I don't know 'bout you, but I got MY popcorn ready. Better than watching Tate & Price. Those guys ain't gonna contribute that soon anyway. THIS year matters. The here and now. 2011 & onwards will take care of itself. It ain't THAT complicated.
Do it now, while The Pats still have some mojo left. Shake it 'tup. How'd '08 & '09 work out? Anyway, this team is DUE for a desperate measure. I like the wild card of T.O. Hey, better than being a BORING repeat of the last 2 years anyway. And that's why most people tune in... to be amused to see how teams play out every year. Look at the alternative. (how'd that pass rush need get filled?) Exactly.

I wanna see it. Whether it works or not is secondary to me. I like high risk-high reward scenarios. And I like my athletes to be high profile blowhards anyway. And it would bring the media spotlight back onto The Pats because, let's face it, this team has been in Timbuktu as far as that's concerned since the 2nd game of 2008.
If the locker room blows up, so be it. At least it will be INTERESTING. Better than picking the depth order of the 53 man roster in the middle of July anyway. I don't know 'bout you, but I got MY popcorn ready. Better than watching Tate & Price. Those guys ain't gonna contribute that soon anyway. THIS year matters. The here and now. 2011 & onwards will take care of itself. It ain't THAT complicated.
Do it now, while The Pats still have some mojo left. Shake it 'tup. How'd '08 & '09 work out? Anyway, this team is DUE for a desperate measure. I like the wild card of T.O. Hey, better than being a BORING repeat of the last 2 years anyway. And that's why most people tune in... to be amused to see how teams play out every year. Look at the alternative. (how'd that pass rush need get filled?) Exactly.

You must have hated following the Pats in 2001 ...

No, not defending Bledsoe(although it was time, and rightly so, to give the reigns to Romo), but the timing aspect et al was just unfortunate, and it had nothing to do with TO disliking Parcells, and vice-versa.(the whole thing was overblown - if anything, remember the @Carolina game when TO and Parcells were smooching at the end on the sidelines)

And what didn't help either was Owens breaking his finger in wk2 when Sean Taylor popped him - he wasn't the same all year that he used to be in his career.

With that being said - I never thought he was as bad as the media and alot of the fans make him out to be. No, not exactly a model teammate, but no different from 1/2 of the people in this league who have a somewhat selfish egotistical side. Wade Phillips seemed to have liked him. Despite all the reports how Jason Garrett got headaches, I never once saw any hints from Garrett that he had a dislike for TO. And pretty much all these stories how he hated Jason Witten, how he conspired with Patrick Crayton and Roy Williams to get Garrett to get them involved in the offense more, etc, etc was nothing more than 3rd party rumors that got overtly played out.

Also - over on the Cowboys MB - I found it odd how the same people that blamed TO 99% for our Dec meltdowns from 2006 - 2008, in particular 2008, were also the same people who wanted Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett to get fired, who wanted Romo benched, who largely blamed our OL for all the offensive ills, who wanted Terrence Newman to get cut, who thought Pacman's antics ruined our season, the whole 9 yards. I mean it's either one or the other, can't have it both ways.

Plus in 2007 when SUPPOSEDLY Owens "may" have had some antics throughout the year, NOT ONE word out of even the anti-TO people not only from the CMB, but also from the Dallas sports media when we went 13-3. I mean if he's a headache, then come out and say it, instead of waiting a year later when everything starts to get into the crapper to come out and act like they somehow discovered this for the first time.

Well...this certainly explains Jerry reluctantly walking away from him after publicly backing him and promising him that would never happen...:rolleyes:

TO may not have been as bad a teamate in Dallas as he was in Philly, but he was never a great teamate, it's just not in his DNA.

Last edited:

Even for an annoying troll you're an odd duck...

I feel we maybe able to get a dillon type of motivated superbowl run out of him. Maybe playing on a dismal buffalo offense opened his mind that hey I need to get in line if I ever want to sniff a play off run again. If anyone can coach him it be BB. Also god knows we don't want the jets to beat us to the punch. Rex wouldn't care how he acted if he made plays. ps. If we draft Harvey Unga I feel we'd have the bruiser we need on short downs our offense would be very potent.

I'd pay to see the JETS beat us to the punch...especially in time for his cameo on Hard Knocks. Harvey Unga wasn't even worth more than a 7th in a shallow draft to BB...or anyone else. Honestly, the name recognition roster construction method is so pre Belichick....it's like some of you have been hold up in a cave for most of the last decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case