PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Tony Dungy says, if he were Reggie Bush, he'd give back the Heisman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT:Tony Dungy says, if he were Reggie Bush, he'd give back the Heisman

They aren't the same in kind at all. One entails taking a loaded weapon into a bank and robbing them of hundreds of thousands, even millions of dollars. It's stealing and it's against the law in every country in the world. The other isn't stealing at all. Nor is it against the law. It entails receiving a gift for free at the time with a promise to pay it back later.

1.) Since he'd refused to pay it back, it was stealing. That's why it ended up in court, and that's why he ended up settling with both men.

2.) You're not differentiating between kind and degree. Breaking rules of the group is breaking rules of the group. You're claiming they are exclusive. They aren't. As Americans, we acknowledge this with things like Civil/Criminal, Felony/Misdemeanor, Laws/ordinances, etc....

I don't think he's getting off light, at all. He was a hungry college kid who had some money dangled under his nose. For that, I can't fault him for trying to make his life better. He violated the rules and has been ruled ineligable for the 2004-2005 season. On top of that, the University which was supposed to be policing their players had to vacate wins and possibly a National Title. All memory of him and his accomplishments is being systematically wiped out. If you ask me, that's punishment enough without taking the trophy that he rightfully earned away from him.

See, you've even said yourself that the NCAA rules are out of whack (going so far as to even call them "the problem") when it comes to players and money. Having acknowledged that, I'm not sure how you can support further punishment for the guy.

You're conflating two things while I'm viewing them separately, which is why we're not on the same page. The rules of the NCAA are ridiculous, but they are the rules. It's just the same as seat belt laws: Idiotic and in opposition to the notions of freedom that helped to form this country, yet still the law.

Bush broke those rules, and he deserves to pay for that, because that's the way this country works. Only losing his Heisman is getting off light. As you noted, he's been ruled ineligible. Well, if he wasn't eligible to play, how was he eligible to win the Heisman? If the NFL and NCAA had worked together properly, I could see Bush having been fined and suspended from the NFL, or even banned, especially under the current clown-in-chief. I won't be surprised to see something like that added in a future CBA, anymore than I'd be surprised to see agent sanctions for similar situations.

It's a shame. Because, while the kids are still playing, the agents should have absolutely no contact whatsoever with the student athletes until they declare and their bowl games are over. The fact that they do is a shame in and of itself. Without the agent in question, this wouldn't be a problem. However, I do agree that limiting agent/student contact would be ridiculously hard to police for the NCAA. That's why the school should have done a better job looking into it for themselves. After all, these kids are supposed to be under their control.

And here we are in general agreement.

Last edited:
Rules of our society DO NOT equal rules of the NCAA

our society is a democracy...the NCAA is an autocracy

please...no more of this teapot hurricane

Re: OT:Tony Dungy says, if he were Reggie Bush, he'd give back the Heisman

You're conflating two things while I'm viewing them separately, which is why we're not on the same page. The rules of the NCAA are ridiculous, but they are the rules. It's just the same as seat belt laws: Idiotic and in opposition to the notions of freedom that helped to form this country, yet still the law.

It's ironic that you would describe a law protecting the populace from their own idiocy as idiotic.

Bush broke those rules, and he deserves to pay for that, because that's the way this country works. Only losing his Heisman is getting off light.

What more could they do to him??

High horse high horse high horse

Well, he gave it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand