PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Tony Dungy says, if he were Reggie Bush, he'd give back the Heisman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT:Tony Dungy says, if he were Reggie Bush, he'd give back the Heisman

if i was tony dungy, i give my super bowl ring to either dominic rhodes or rex grossman. Both of them had more to do with the colts winning the super bowl than he did.

LOL so true

Last edited:

Bush better be careful. If Dungy finds out that Reggie ever swore, he might have to give back his Super Bowl ring also.

Greetings,
No surprise there. He is always going on about how "Holy" he would carry himself in these situations. It is all comical if you ask me.
Peace,
Celticboy04

If Bush has to give the Heisman trophy back, O.J. Simpson should have to chop his arm off and give the trust the trophy back with his right arm attached to it.

Listen, I hear what you're saying. Obviously what OJ "allegedly" did was worse by several orders of magnitude. But:

(1) Bush committed his wrongdoings while a student-athlete at USC. OJ committed ("allegedly") his crimes long, long after his football career was over. Apples and oranges.

(2) From (BV on Sports "The NCAA determined that Bush was ineligible for part of the 2004 season and all of the 2005 season, when he was awarded the Heisman Trophy." So if Bush shouldn't have been playing, he shouldn't have been eligible to win the Heisman.

So yeah, nobody disputes that OJ is worse, but the two situations aren't analogous at all.

That said, I doubt that Dungy would have given the trophy back.

And If I were Tony Dungy I'd probably shoot myself.

Imagine that. Tony Dungy feels the need to preach.

If I was Tony Dungy, I would shut the hell up and mind my business for once.

Imagine that. Tony Dungy is doing his job. Giving his opinion on issues that relate to the NFL and NFL players.

From (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/richard_deitsch/09/07/nflbroadcasting.guide/1.html):

--Look for Dungy and Harrison to start leading more conversations during the pregame show. "The big thing we stressed to them during our August meetings was you are not rookies anymore," said NBC Sports executive producer Sam Flood. "It's no longer asking things like: 'Where do I put my ear piece? Now it's time to throw punches and combinations.'--

So NBC *wants* him to express provocative opinions. He works for NBC. He issued a provocative opinion. He's doing what he gets paid to do.

I realize he didn't say it while on NBC television, but believe me, they don't mind him expressing his view through other venues...it attracts viewers to NBC and that's what they want. You certainly don't have to agree with his opinion, but it's his job to give it, whether you or I like it or not.

Imagine that. Tony Dungy is doing his job. Giving his opinion on issues that relate to the NFL and NFL players.

From (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/richard_deitsch/09/07/nflbroadcasting.guide/1.html):

--Look for Dungy and Harrison to start leading more conversations during the pregame show. "The big thing we stressed to them during our August meetings was you are not rookies anymore," said NBC Sports executive producer Sam Flood. "It's no longer asking things like: 'Where do I put my ear piece? Now it's time to throw punches and combinations.'--

So NBC *wants* him to express provocative opinions. He works for NBC. He issued a provocative opinion. He's doing what he gets paid to do.

I realize he didn't say it while on NBC television, but believe me, they don't mind him expressing his view through other venues...it attracts viewers to NBC and that's what they want. You certainly don't have to agree with his opinion, but it's his job to give it, whether you or I like it or not.

In case you didn't notice, this thing that we're posting on is called a message board. It's where we offer insight and opinions, and the overwhelming opinion here is that Dungy is a sanctimonious jerk. I understand that he's doing his job, but that doesn't excuse him from making stupid points in stupid ways.

Next time Ron Borges writes garbage, are you going to write that off as just him doing his job too? How about next time Wilhite gets beat; will you being totally against noting that, since he was just trying to do his job? Either way, I don't suppose you'd mind writing up an outline of what you consider acceptable topics for discussion?

Last edited:

In case you didn't notice, this thing that we're posting on is called a message board. It's where we offer insight and opinions, and the overwhelming opinion here is that Dungy is a sanctimonious jerk. I understand that he's doing his job, but that doesn't excuse him from making stupid points in stupid ways.

Next time Ron Borges writes garbage, are you going to write that off as just him doing his job too? How about next time Wilhite gets beat; will you being totally against noting that, since he was just trying to do his job? Either way, I don't suppose you'd mind writing up an outline of what you consider acceptable topics for discussion?

LOL. I was responding to this quote (I even quoted it so it was clear): "Imagine that. Tony Dungy feels the need to preach. If I was Tony Dungy, I would shut the hell up and mind my business for once."

You were suggesting that should "mind his business" and not talk about Bush. Yet apparently in your most recent post you agree that it's his job to comment on stuff related to the NFL (and the Bush situation certainly qualifies).

Now if you're changing your argument to "I disagree with his opinion" (or some other, more, eh, colorful way to put it), well and good. But this is a completely different point than the one I was responding to.

So if we agree that Dungy was doing his job (and, because of that, shouldn't "shut the hell up and mind his business"), then the only thing left to do is discuss whether we agree or disagree with his opinion on the Bush matter. And on *that* point, I think we agree - Dungy's opinion is wrong.

LOL. I was responding to this quote (I even quoted it so it was clear): "Imagine that. Tony Dungy feels the need to preach. If I was Tony Dungy, I would shut the hell up and mind my business for once."

You were suggesting that should "mind his business" and not talk about Bush. Yet apparently in your most recent post you agree that it's his job to comment on stuff related to the NFL (and the Bush situation certainly qualifies).

Now if you're changing your argument to "I disagree with his opinion" (or some other, more, eh, colorful way to put it), well and good. But this is a completely different point than the one I was responding to.

So if we agree that Dungy was doing his job (and, because of that, shouldn't "shut the hell up and mind his business"), then the only thing left to do is discuss whether we agree or disagree with his opinion on the Bush matter. And on *that* point, I think we agree - Dungy's opinion is wrong.

I'm not changing my argument; I'm saying that he should mind his own business regarding what Bush "should" do. He can comment all he wants on what he believes will happen and why, but when he starts trying to dictate the moral standards that others should have in specific, off-field situations (especially ones that aren't even relevant to the NFL), that just makes him a sanctimonious prick. He doesn't have any inside information on the topic, he doesn't have any particular relationship to the Heisman committee or Reggie Bush; he's just using this situation as another opportunity to show how pious and awesome he is, and that's dumb. It's empty, arrogant, condescension.

I agree that he was 'doing his job', in the strictest sense, much like Borges and Shaughnessy are doing their jobs everytime they turn in a garbage article, or Tomase was doing his job when he broke the Rams spying story. Whether or not he was doing his job well is a whole different question. Just because someone's doing their job doesn't mean that they wouldn't be better off saying less about subjects where they have no real insight to offer.

Last edited:

Originally Posted by ivanvamp You were suggesting that should "mind his business" and not talk about Bush. Yet apparently in your most recent post you agree that it's his job to comment on stuff related to the NFL (and the Bush situation certainly qualifies). [/QUOTE said:
He earned every yard, every inch, and Im sure it was tough, but he did it. He got a trophy for what he accomplished. Now the NCAA
wants to remove a the trophy that he deserved. When so many like, aikman, Smith, peyton,bradshaw, Taylor, LT, Brees,Montana, and the etc.. did the same.

Make no mistake they did. Making Bush a scapegoat for what all knew was happing and ignored it , is wrong.

and dungy knew this was happening all the time unless he's mentally disabled. Bush doesn't need to pay the price for what I think we were aware off, and if he does , it will change nothing. Except for taking a trophy from a great RB in College that deserved it.

and not changing the problem. While the real problems runs from there responsibilities to the Seahawks and selling Bush out to save his own skin, coward comes to mind. One guy in N.O. says nothing.

Last edited:
Do you get the feeling that Tony Dumbgy is applying for the Jets head coaching job? He's obviously sucking at what he does in new and entertaining ways. He's edging ever so close to sucking at a level that only Rex Ryan, Eric Mangini, Pom Pom Pete and Bill Parcells sucked when they led the Jets to mediocrity and inspired us all. Dumbgy looks tanned, rested and ready to take on the Jets after the Ravens crush the Jets this weekend and Woody fires Rex. Now let's go get a g#@da$# snack!

Saint dungy at it again

There is a certain tragic event in this man's life which - while deserving of an awful lot of sympathy - would seem to point to him not being the kind of person he needed to be for a loved one in need. It seems to follow a pattern of him claiming he will spend less time on football and more time doing good for those around him - yet, here he is, even as a retired coach, dedicated first and foremost to the NFL. He casts out judgments on a daily basis, yet, is immune to any judgment himself because of the sheer tragedy of what he went through. I understand bringing this up is crass - but I'm not sure how to separate the two. I guess what I'm getting at is this guy shouldn't be throwing stones. His act is pretty damn tiresome.

Last edited:
He's a commentator and I have no problems with him giving his thoughts and views on anything.

There is a certain tragic event in this man's life which - while deserving of an awful lot of sympathy - would seem to point to him not being the kind of person he needed to be for a loved one in need. It seems to follow a pattern of him claiming he will spend less time on football and more time doing good for those around him - yet, here he is, even as a retired coach, dedicated first and foremost to the NFL. He casts out judgments on a daily basis, yet, is immune to any judgment himself because of the sheer tragedy of what he went through. I understand bringing this up is crass - but I'm not sure how to separate the two. I guess what I'm getting at is this guy shouldn't be throwing stones. His act is pretty damn tiresome.

I hear what you're saying. Its a shame that he hasn't learnt to walk in another mans shoes and be a little less judgemental.

Dungy and Rodney are a ridiculous pair. They obviously don't like each other, they have no chemistry, and, individually, they look and sound completely uncomfortable in front of the camera. They are Magic Johnson/Tim Hardaway bad.

I'm not changing my argument; I'm saying that he should mind his own business regarding what Bush "should" do. He can comment all he wants on what he believes will happen and why, but when he starts trying to dictate the moral standards that others should have in specific, off-field situations (especially ones that aren't even relevant to the NFL), that just makes him a sanctimonious prick. He doesn't have any inside information on the topic, he doesn't have any particular relationship to the Heisman committee or Reggie Bush; he's just using this situation as another opportunity to show how pious and awesome he is, and that's dumb. It's empty, arrogant, condescension.

I agree that he was 'doing his job', in the strictest sense, much like Borges and Shaughnessy are doing their jobs everytime they turn in a garbage article, or Tomase was doing his job when he broke the Rams spying story. Whether or not he was doing his job well is a whole different question. Just because someone's doing their job doesn't mean that they wouldn't be better off saying less about subjects where they have no real insight to offer.

As a commentator giving his opinion on the Bush matter, he certainly has every right (and perhaps responsibility?) to share what he thinks various parties ought to do. People here certainly feel free to give their opinions on what the Heisman committee "should" do. We offer those opinions as fans; he does so as part of his job. He's not being holier-than-thou by offering his opinion, any more than you are by saying Dungy should "mind his own business".

You and I both disagree with his opinion. So be it. That's really your criticism...just leave it at that.

He earned every yard, every inch, and Im sure it was tough, but he did it. He got a trophy for what he accomplished. Now the NCAA
wants to remove a the trophy that he deserved. When so many like, aikman, Smith, peyton,bradshaw, Taylor, LT, Brees,Montana, and the etc.. did the same.

Make no mistake they did. Making Bush a scapegoat for what all knew was happing and ignored it , is wrong.

and dungy knew this was happening all the time unless he's mentally disabled. Bush doesn't need to pay the price for what I think we were aware off, and if he does , it will change nothing. Except for taking a trophy from a great RB in College that deserved it.

and not changing the problem. While the real problems runs from there responsibilities to the Seahawks and selling Bush out to save his own skin, coward comes to mind. One guy in N.O. says nothing.

I don't disagree.

You and I both disagree with his opinion. So be it. That's really your criticism...just leave it at that.

Right, and his job is to offer worthwhile opinions that he has some basis for giving. He didn't. When Gasper writes that Belichick may be too old to coach in the NFL, do you let him off the hook because he's "just doing his job", or do you criticize him for being ridiculous and talking about something that is way out of his league? Same principle applies here.

I still don't really get what your point is. Are you saying that as long as someone is 'doing their job', they should be immune to criticism, or simply that it's never valid to suggest that they stick to topics that they know?

Last edited:

Right, and his job is to offer worthwhile opinions that he has some basis for giving. He didn't. When Gasper writes that Belichick may be too old to coach in the NFL, do you let him off the hook because he's "just doing his job", or do you criticize him for being ridiculous and talking about something that is way out of his league? Same principle applies here.

Dungy's position was perfectly sensible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes