OT: SI covers Roethlisberger's rampant and unrelenting douchebaggery

Status
Not open for further replies.

the wrothbroughterer

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
AN NFL SUPERSTAR'S REPULSIVE BEHAVIOR, THE ULTIMATE - 05.10.10 - SI Vault

A few snippets...

A few months after the accident, a reporter and a cameraman for KDKA-TV, the CBS affiliate that broadcasts Steelers games, were driving on I-376 in Pittsburgh when they saw two men on motorcycles and recognized one as Roethlisberger, who was not wearing a helmet. They began shooting footage, which showed Roethlisberger giving them the finger as he sped away, but the video never aired. The station's news director at the time, John Verrilli, and its current assistant news director, Anne Linaberger, deny that any such tape existed, but several people who saw the video gave SI similar accounts of the tape; sources believe the story was killed out of fear that it would damage KDKA's relationship with the Steelers.

On July 11, 2008, at Harrah's Lake Tahoe, Roethlisberger allegedly called hotel employee Andrea McNulty to his room to fix a television that turned out to be in proper working order. In a civil suit filed a year later, McNulty claims Roethlisberger groped her and penetrated her against her will. Roethlisberger denies McNulty's account and has declined to comment on specifics.

McNulty says she reported the incident to her superiors but that they did nothing about it. She contends that her boss, Dave Monroe, the vice president of food and hotel operations, told her that Roethlisberger was a close friend of Harrah's Northern Nevada president John Koster, and that Koster "will personally fire you for starting rumors about Roethlisberger's personal life." McNulty said she was told by Monroe, "That guy [Roethlisberger] can have anyone he wants."

Four days before the McNulty incident, Roethlisberger visited Cabo Wabo Cantina on the grounds of the Harrah's resort with Joyner, Barravecchio and a female friend. There, according to a lawsuit filed by former Cabo Wabo waiter Alvaro Brito, the group "mocked, made fun of and mimicked" Brito while he asked the woman for I.D. to prove she was 21. (Roethlisberger produced the I.D., which showed her to be 27.) As the quarterback left, the lawsuit alleges, he asked Brito if he knew who Koster was and told Brito that Koster was a friend of his. A few days later Brito, who had worked for Harrah's for 12 years and earned $47,000 a year, was fired. He says he was told that the order came from Koster and that it resulted from the encounter with Roethlisberger's group. Brito, who now manages a restaurant in Carson City, Nev., was advised by his lawyer not to speak to SI, nor did Koster or Monroe respond to interview requests.

People like him deserve cancer of the aids of the face, not riches and Superbowl victories.

I read the article earlier today. It's hard to believe that someone can be that much of a jerk but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It'll be nice to see the Pats destroy him later this year.

Yeah, he's a prick. But is 6 pages backing this up really necessary? It just feels, to me, like Spygate-style piling on. There is no need for all of this...he's not the first football player to be a giant jerkoff, and he also won't be the last.

I don't have time to read that entire article. However, I don't blame Roethlisberger for the first snippet. I hate the press and would probably give them the finger myself. The next two snippets just show how much of a complete doucher he is.

Ben Rapistberger,QB with frontal lobe damage,douchebag and a drama queen.
Have a fun defending him Steelers fans.

I read the entire article, what an a55clown. How somebody can't embrace the position they are in and spread goodwill is beyond me.

As fans, we want to have this illusion that our Sports Heroes are, if not perfect, at least no worse than the average jerk we know; if there are aspects of their personalities that we don't want to know about, well, we just don't want to know about them. Our Sports heroes are supposed to help us keep this illusion going by managing their behavior so that they are never "in our faces" with their darker sides. In exchange for that, we give them our rabid support and buy the **** they endorse so that they can get rich.

This works pretty well when both sides keep up their part of the deal. In recent months, Ben Roethlisberger has broken that deal big time with his fans. They'll no doubt give him "another chance," but it's going to be tough for him to return to the pedestal on which he was placed; new incidents or a steady drip-drip-drip from the past during civil suits could make it impossible for him ever to be accepted again.

What an idiot!

Last edited:
Roethlisberger makes Jamarcus Russell look smart. That is all.

Yeah, he's a prick. But is 6 pages backing this up really necessary? There is no need for all of this.

These people deserve to have their stories told, yes it's necessary.

Ben Roethlisberger walks into a bar...
Walt Kowalski " Get the f... out of here!"

I don't have time to read that entire article. However, I don't blame Roethlisberger for the first snippet. I hate the press and would probably give them the finger myself. The next two snippets just show how much of a complete doucher he is.

I framed that poorly. While yeah, I would have undoubtedly given them the bird as well, it really illustrates how far people will go to protect and reinforce his asshatery.

For a refreshing change, Steeler City has turned decisively on Roethlisberger. We'll see what happens when he returns and wins (or loses) a few....

Guy almost dies months before and gets back on the motorcycle without a helmet and knowingly flaunting it to the media was the point.

What a jackhole. He gets a guy fired for asking for someone's ID at a bar? He holds out from his first training camp because he wants the bling but he can't pay a lousy $5 cover?

I rarely say this about anyone, but it would serve him right if on his first snap of 2010 he gets a nice hard career-ending injury, preferably one that's very painful. Then we'll see if people kiss his arse everywhere he goes.

Funny how three years ago everyone wanted Tom Brady's head on a platter because he got his ex-girlfriend pregnant. Did he rape her? Have you ever heard of anyone getting fired for doing their job when he was in the building? ************, people are stupid.

I know this wont make me popular, but I do believe people are innocent until proven not so. I think the media trys to make us believe bad about people for profit, and gives leeway to people they consider good, who deals with them.

I do remember a poor soul in Delaware, that was branded by the media as a serial killer, and the police eventually convicted this man, I think he spent 20 or more years in prison before they found their was no way he could have done the crime.

Roethlisberger's seems guilty, but I just don't think thats for me to decide.
I fight it because I think he is in my heart and with all the evidence, and its happened a few times, but thats why we have the courts and as shown above they dont always work.

I think the prosecutor releasing this info was an intentional way to make him look bad, and that was wrong, and I don't know maybe he is a bad person.

I wish one of these women would have the courage to prosecute so we can end it, and I know it takes allot of courage to do that. I also hope , if true, these women can go on and be happy in there lives knowing they did not go forward. It would be a horrible thing to live with being a young woman.

Last edited:
I framed that poorly. While yeah, I would have undoubtedly given them the bird as well, it really illustrates how far people will go to protect and reinforce his asshatery.

uh..hate to be the anal retentive in this thread but I think "asshattery" would be a better spelling than ass-hate-ry..I mean if you are saying Roethlisberger is a major asshat..which he is...

Yeah, he's a prick. But is 6 pages backing this up really necessary? It just feels, to me, like Spygate-style piling on. There is no need for all of this...he's not the first football player to be a giant jerkoff, and he also won't be the last.

Alleged repeated rape deserves the spygate treatment a lot more than taping defensive signals from the wrong location in my opinion. The fact that there are reams of evidence that corroborate the extent of his douchebaggery also lets us know that it's not just one or two isolated incidents. Dogpiles can be lame, I agree, but it's also really illuminating to see athletes beyond the PR veil. A system that endeavors to foster near worship of athletes also naturally fosters the pitchfork toting masses when they get to peek behind the curtain. Perhaps advertising is to blame.

uh..hate to be the anal retentive in this thread but I think "asshattery" would be a better spelling than ass-hate-ry..I mean if you are saying Roethlisberger is a major asshat..which he is...

Joker pal your way to smart to be posting in forums :)

I wish one of these women would have the courage to prosecute so we can end it, and I know it takes allot of courage to do that. I also hope , if true, these women can go on and be happy in there lives knowing they did not go forward. It would be a horrible thing to live with being a young woman.

Its not an issue of courage. Its an issue of evidence being willfully destroyed. Money opens doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST