PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT JETS 3rd round pick Ellis could be deported

Status
Not open for further replies.
if he's found guilty and deported, the fact that he's a jets draft pick is the icing on the cake. can the sanchise be deported for dating high school girls ?

Where would he be deported to...Jersey?

We shouldn't be laughing about a human being losing their home and their social status. Not for something like this anyway. It's not like he's a rapist or even worse.

Meh, if what he did was bad enough to lead to deportation, good riddance. The fact he was drafted by the New Jersey Green Beans is another strike against him. :singing:

Deporting anybody as soon as they were picked by the jets would probably make this country a better place.

Deporting anybody as soon as they were picked by the jets would probably make this country a better place.

Good thing Woodhead wasn't drafted. ;)

If you were a NONCITIZEN and were found guilty of aggrivated assault, and deported because thats what the conditions of your permission to be here dictate, you would be pissed off because a citizen who didnt get convicted of a crime is still in America?
Can you copyright right that logic so I can buy from you and use it against the IRS and my neighbor who thinks its my problem if I don't like the noise level in his yard?

Stop trying to put words in my mouth, all i said is that there people that commit worst felonies and get away with it. I am assuming that he was unarmed since it would like be attempted murder if he was using a weapon.

If some guy really did come after Ellis with a baseball bat, and he acted in self-defense, and there are multiple witnesses stating that, then I'd be pretty surprised if he gets deported. Would be hard enough to convict him of anything, I would bet that the charges would be dropped or he would plea down to a misdemeanor if he wanted to be play it extra-careful. Either way, I'll be pretty surprised if this affects his NFL career in any meaningful way.

Last edited:
If some guy really did come after Ellis with a baseball bat, and he acted in self-defense, and there are multiple witnesses stating that, then I'd be pretty surprised if he gets deported. Would be hard enough to convict him of anything, I would bet that the charges would be dropped or he would plea down to a misdemeanor if he wanted to be play it extra-careful. Either way, I'll be pretty surprised if this affects his NFL career in any meaningful way.

So far, we have mostly gotten Ellis' side of the story. The other guy may have witnesses himself saying he only had the bat in his hand. From Cimini's story, there isn't much evidence being divulged and from previous reports all we have heard is from sources close to Ellis who aren't going to say Ellis was at fault.

We are, as I see Jets fans are on Jets boards, speculating on whether he is guilty or innocent. Just because the guy swung a bat at him doesn't neccessarily mean that Ellis breaking the guy's jaw and nose is legally self defense. The laws in many states have strict rules about the magnitude of the response given for self defense and many states determine that you cannot justify a self defense claim if you can safely avoid harm by fleeing.

The fact that the prosecutor charged him with malicious wounding means that he/she does not believe it was self defense. Malicious wounding under Virginia law states that there was intent to "maim, injure, disfigure, disable, or kill". The definition of malice under the VA law is defined as " ill will to do something, or an intentional and wrongful act without legal justification". If the prosecutor doesn't feel that he/she can prove intent, he/she is supposed to charge the defendant with unlawful wounding. Self defense is a valid defense for unlawful wounding, but not malicious wounding because under VA law an malicious wounding assault lacks the justification for self defense.

It is doubtful the prosecutor would have charged Ellis with malicious wounding if the evidence pointed to him having a valid self defense claim. That said, I fully expect Ellis to settle with the other guy and in that settlement the other guy will not testify against Ellis. If there is no other witness to come forward against Ellis, the charges will likely be dropped to a misdemeanor with minimal or no jail time and no deportation.

The other guy will likely settle because he has a $3 million lawsuit vs. Ellis and if he goes to jail, he might not see any money since Ellis will likely not get a bonus from the Jets unless he avoids jail time.

FELONY MALICIOUS WOUNDING AND FELONY UNLAWFUL WOUNDING
The Maiming Statute – Virginia Code § 18.2-51 – states: If any person maliciously shoot, stab, cut, or wound any person or by any means cause him bodily injury, with the intent to maim, disfigure, disable, or kill, he shall, except where it is otherwise provided, be guilty of a Class 3 felony.” This crime is punishable by up to 20 years in jail, with a 5 year mandatory minimum sentence, and up to a $100,000 fine. If such act be done unlawfully but not maliciously, with the intent aforesaid, the offender shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony. This is punished by up to 5 years in prison, with up to a $2,500 fine.

Malicious wounding must be proven by the government as follows: 1) Intended to maliciously wound, injure, cut, stab, shoot someone with intent to maim, disfigure, disable or kill that person, and 2) committed a direct but ineffectual act towards this purpose.

The accused can cause this injury with his hands and knees as much as with a knife, machete or sharp jewelry. “Any means” under this section includes using your dog or pit bull to inflict the injuries.

Malice is defined generally as the ill will to do something, or an intentional and wrongful act without legal justification. A wound is defined in Virginia as a breaking of the skin. (If you see blood in a fight, skin has been broken.) An injury in Virginia is defined as internal or organ damage.

There is no requirement of severe injury or disfigurement. To have the requisite intent under this law, the accused must have intended to inflict a permanent wound. It is not required that the wound be in fact permanent, or even severe, but only that the accused intended to cause such harm. If the wound was in fact permanent, disfiguring, or severe, the accused would be charged under Virginia Code Section 18.2-51.2, the Aggravated Malicious Wounding statute. Aggravated Malicious Wounding is punished as a class 2 felony, by up to life in prison, and have a minimum prison sentence of 20 years, with a fine of up to $100,000. (This is the same penalty as a murder charge!)

Intent may be inferred from acts or words the accused used during and prior to the fight. But, intent can also be inferred from the final act when the intentional act could reasonably lead to a wounding injury. There is a presumption in the law that the natural and necessary consequences of an act were intended by the accused when he carried out the act.

Of course using weapons or a dog easily triggers the inferred intent as described above. Using fists, however, is a different story. The only way that punching someone with your fists can lead to an inference of intent for one of the results described in the statute is if the beating is so violent or brutal that it can reasonably be concluded that the accused had such intent. Thus, even if the blows don’t cause disfigurement, if they were carried out with strong violence or brutality, this felony wounding statute would apply. An example of a case where the accused was convicted of malicious wounding for punching someone was in Clark v. Commonwealth, where the accused continued punching the victim after he was down and had to be pulled away by others before he would stopped. The courts look at the severity of the punches and the number of blows.
Virginia Law on Assault, Battery, and Wounding Revealed & Explained | MEDVIN LAW | Attorney Marina Medvin | Northern Virginia Law Firm | Criminal Defense | Alexandria Arlington Fairfax Stafford Prince William Manassas Loudoun Leesburg Federal | Top R

Last edited:
To be fair, the details of the case point toward a plea deal with little negative implications for Ellis. The fact the case has been pushed back to November shows a lack of any immediacy on the part of the prosecution to move forward with the felony charge. My guess, a simple assault misdemeanor and probation.

BUT...Brit Pat...as a Jet player, I hope he gets summarily executed by firing squad at dawn.:yeeha:

The court date was pushed back because Ellis changed attorneys and the prosecutor had little say in the matter. Continuances are approved by the judge, not the prosecutor. The prosecutor could oppose a motion for a continuance, but typically if the defendant has a justified reason they get it. Changing attorneys is a justified reason because the new attorney needs time for discovery, to get up to date with the facts of the case, and to plan a defense strategy. Even if the evidence is stacked against Ellis, there is a good chance he will be able to get another continuance to push that November 28th court date until after the season due to conflicts with his employment.

Under your laws, Meriweather was deemed to be protecting himself.

Merryman is innocent y???

it's NOT what you know it's what you can PROVE.

when the jubilant Jamaican decided to assault somebody and cause harm he VIOLATED his terms. Send him back to the island and out of Football in the states:)

Well, Ellis is a permanent resident and has been for the past two decades. Not sure why he didn't apply for citizenship after 5 years of living in the United States.
Basically, he is a semi US citizen minus the right to vote.

1) If I knew I was about to scrap with a 6'5 350 pound Gigantopithecus lookin NFL nosetackle I would be looking for the closest improvised weapon I could find.

2) Should said Gigantopethicus land a shot, I would fully expect it to detonate my face. A nose and jaw is lucky, homeboy's lucky it didn't include his orbital bone and skull.

3) I'm fairly certain throwing a punch doesn't exceed defending with equal force against a baseball bat. If a midget comes at me with a knife and I kick that little fugger ten feet I wouldn't expect the courts to penalize me for being taller. Wee bastard had blade.

4) I don't like the Jets, nor Ellis, but rooting for him to lose everything overa punch is a little excessive.

If you were a NONCITIZEN and were found guilty of aggrivated assault, and deported because thats what the conditions of your permission to be here dictate, you would be pissed off because a citizen who didnt get convicted of a crime is still in America?
Can you copyright right that logic so I can buy from you and use it against the IRS and my neighbor who thinks its my problem if I don't like the noise level in his yard?

I hate it when the IRS conspires with noisy neighbors.

I love this off season thread

Jets hatred...no labor law (Booooooooringgggg!!!)

What's not to like?

The court date was pushed back because Ellis changed attorneys and the prosecutor had little say in the matter. Continuances are approved by the judge, not the prosecutor. The prosecutor could oppose a motion for a continuance, but typically if the defendant has a justified reason they get it. Changing attorneys is a justified reason because the new attorney needs time for discovery, to get up to date with the facts of the case, and to plan a defense strategy. Even if the evidence is stacked against Ellis, there is a good chance he will be able to get another continuance to push that November 28th court date until after the season due to conflicts with his employment.

no need to go ballistic,Longwinded Larry...I did not know he changed attorneys.I KNOW the judge approves continuances but it has been MY experience in the court system HERE in RI that when the prosecutor has a slam bang dead doornail case, the trial date stays unchanged.This has been implemented in the past decade to address the staggering backload of felony cases being continued by Superior Court judges at the behest of defense attorneys. Getting a continuance due to a conflict with employment doesn't fly here anymore either.I assumed a state the size of Virginia would have streamlined scheduling also but it seems I made a mistake.Looks like, according to your assertions, that he'll be able to keep getting continuances until his NFL career is over.

... I'm fairly certain throwing a punch doesn't exceed defending with equal force against a baseball bat. If a midget comes at me with a knife and I kick that little fugger ten feet I wouldn't expect the courts to penalize me for being taller. Wee bastard had blade...

A baseball bat is a deadly weapon. If someone's coming at you with one, he's coming at you with potentially lethal consequences. Take him down, worry about the police later.

We are, as I see Jets fans are on Jets boards, speculating on whether he is guilty or innocent. Just because the guy swung a bat at him doesn't neccessarily mean that Ellis breaking the guy's jaw and nose is legally self defense. The laws in many states have strict rules about the magnitude of the response given for self defense and many states determine that you cannot justify a self defense claim if you can safely avoid harm by fleeing.

If he was attacked with a bat, then there's no way that a punch will be found to go beyond the threshold of allowable force. That's textbook self-defense- the only way that he could screw that up is if he continued to attack the guy after he was incapacitated. As long as that's not the case (and yes, that is speculation), then there's simply no way that he'll be convicted of a felony. We can hopes that it happens all we want, but it won't.

no need to go ballistic,Longwinded Larry...I did not know he changed attorneys.I KNOW the judge approves continuances but it has been MY experience in the court system HERE in RI that when the prosecutor has a slam bang dead doornail case, the trial date stays unchanged.This has been implemented in the past decade to address the staggering backload of felony cases being continued by Superior Court judges at the behest of defense attorneys. Getting a continuance due to a conflict with employment doesn't fly here anymore either.I assumed a state the size of Virginia would have streamlined scheduling also but it seems I made a mistake.Looks like, according to your assertions, that he'll be able to keep getting continuances until his NFL career is over.

Didn't go ballistic. Just pointing out that you don't know what you are talking about. You obviously don't know court procedures. Only a judge can allow a continuance of a court date. One or both sides can request a change. Typically, the defendant gets most reasonable requests in a felony case.

Also, Ellis can get a continuance to the offseason, not in perpetude though. Happens all the time with sports players. Many times if the player knows he is going to serve several months in jail they will do it specifically to avoid missing the season. The player can argue that they have a short window of employment and if their case is held in a month or two or three, it won't affect their employment especially if they are found not guilty. Typically they get those requests because it is only a few months. The right to a speedy trial is a right for the defendant, not the procecutor.

Didn't go ballistic. Just pointing out that you don't know what you are talking about. You obviously don't know court procedures. Only a judge can allow a continuance of a court date. One or both sides can request a change. Typically, the defendant gets most reasonable requests in a felony case.

I thought that in Ellis' case it got pushed back because he changed legal representation (presumably he has access to a higher caliber of lawyer now that he's drafted into the NFL). Makes sense that a judge would okay that, as it's a pretty reasonable request.

If he was attacked with a bat, then there's no way that a punch will be found to go beyond the threshold of allowable force. That's textbook self-defense- the only way that he could screw that up is if he continued to attack the guy after he was incapacitated. As long as that's not the case (and yes, that is speculation), then there's simply no way that he'll be convicted of a felony. We can hopes that it happens all we want, but it won't.

We know nothing about the facts of the case other than biased accounts of the event from each side (Ellis side says it was self defense in defense of his girlfriend and the other side says Ellis attacked him in a seculated area on campus) and even then they are very generalized accounts. The other guy did have a broken jaw and nose and unless Ellis did that in two to three hits (which is certainly possible, but not likely), he probably continued to hit the guy after he was incompacitated.

Personally, even if Ellis is 100% guilty, I am willing to bet he gets off with at worst a misdemeanor and several months in jail. He will get celebrity/rich person's justice and that usually means a slap on the wrist. The other guy will get paid off and the prosecutor will lose the key defense witness in the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft