PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Is Indy really this dream job for a potential new coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would hope the Pats would refuse permission for the Colts to even talk to McDaniels.

There are plenty of opportunities for McD elsewhere and the Colts do not deserve to get anything from the Pats.......

for free.

Well ultimately BB will let McDaniels interview for any HC job because its a big deal for their career.. and WAY more money.. but id love if McDaniels had no intention of taking the Indy job and BB to publicly deny the Colts lol, that would be great

Unless Colts fire Grigson and hire Caserio he isnt going there.

Browns possibly hometown team
Giants top 5 franchise strong ownership
Miami beautiful beach young offensive talent.
Niners dream franchise nightmare ownership.
Philly my town football city passionate pissed off fans bonehead owner and gm. Dont see BB endorsing that job to Josh.

Tennesee competitive division promising young QB young talented wideouts.
Hungry to wim rebuilding project possible destination for Josh if Kelly takes a different job or Josh wins the interview over him.

Miami is also a team with nightmare ownership. Josh should stay away.

I totally agree with your major premise that Indy is NOT a prime job, even with Andrew Luck. But I disagree with your level on\of animosity to Luck. He is a lot better than "Bret Farve-light" You fail to remember how he carried a very mediocre team to the playoffs every year since he's been with the team (up until this season). How he improved every year (up until this season). And how he has proven he is a warrior and has a toughness worthy of being admired by a New Englander. Luck should be a MAJOR attraction for any HCing candidate.

Now that being said, I can almost hear Bill whispering in Josh's ear the best advise he can give him, which is "check out the owner FIRST". Bill had to learned the lesson of having an unsupportive owner first hand with Modell. He RAN away from the Jets job after just one look at a Woody, And he's seen the benefits of of having a supportive owner in Bob Kraft. If Bill can only give Josh one piece of advice it will be on how important the owner is to the success of your long term tenure.

And of course Indy has one of the worst owners in the NFL. Do you really want to pin your success on a guy who is a proven meddling crack head???? I don't THINK so. BTW- if Andrew Luck had a brain in his head he would be thinking about his exit strategy from Indy right now. That is how badly he's been used by that franchise.

So think about it. The guy who takes that job because he can have Andrew Luck as a QB, might not have him a couple of years down the road.

Now Indy is going to find a HC, but I believe that the best candidates (like Josh) won't go near that job. It is a BAD organization and it starts at the top.

Brett Favre Lite is not an insult. He is a good QB. Brett Favre was the best gunslinger in NFL history. It is no insult to call him a Brett Favre Lite.

But let's not overstate what Luck has done either. Luck's record outside the AFC South is awful. That is the division where teams fight year after year NOT to win the division. The Jags and Titans are usually eliminated from real playoff contention in early October every year. The Texans are up and down. If the Patriots were in that division, they would be flirting with undefeated seasons every year because they wouldn't have the one or two losses they typically have most years in the division.

They made it to the AFC Championship game in large part because of luck (and not Andrew). They faced the choke artists Bengals in the Wild Card round and faced a team without a QB in the Division Round in Denver.

Again, I would put Luck in the 5-7 range of QBs. He is behind Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Wilson, maybe Brees, and maybe Newton. That isn't bad. He makes at least one costly turnover almost every game which brings him down.

But as I said before, it is unknown what type of QB he will be going forward. This season could have broken him. He hasn't progressed much from his rookie season and he regressed this year even before his injuries (maybe a lot is because of injuries, maybe because his psyche is shot).

The main reason that BB resigned as the HC of the NYJ, was because of Woody Johnson. BB saw him for the assclown that he is. I would think that BB would caution McDaniels against working for a DB such as Irsay.

If Luck was drafted in the 2nd round and say Derek Carr was #1 overall, I wonder how many accolades he would get and how much different people's opinions of both QBs would be.

Being the 1st overall selection and annointed as the next "franchise QB" influences people to see things that may not be there.

I thought BB's comments lately on franchises not giving coaches an appropriate amount of time was said almost directly to his two lead assistants. That list of situations seem nice on paper, but really the Giants job should be the only one either Patricia or McDaniels look at.

Its a top 5 ownership group, have kept Coughlin far longer than many thought he deserved, and were rewarded for it. They have a a stable of legitimate talent and an actual QB with a top 10 pick this year. That team is by far the best situation available this summer. Tennessee has Mariota, Lions will give the keys to the kingdom, Cleveland is home, but NYG are a ready made machine that needs a new voice with a lot of the key pieces in place already.

Last edited:
IIRC, Josh came back to New England not just because of Bill's desire to see him as OC, but also because Josh's wife liked the area and wants to put down roots and stick around. I also remember an article where he was interviewed and was effusive in his praise for the area and what a great place it is to raise a family, etc.

My impression is that Josh will stay with New England as long as Bill/Kraft want him here and maybe even end up as Bill's replacement.

That's my 2-cent's worth, YMMV.

I think Belichick has taught MacDaniels that you don't go to your second coaching job with little to no control and think MacDaniels will weigh that heavily when looking at his prospects. He won't be taking his GM with him unless its Lombardi, Caserio isn't going anywhere.

I disagree I think Lombardi has a good chance of replacing Caserio if the right situation arises for Nick and Josh.
Also supposedly Josh said he wants to take over a rebuilding franchise which is eager to win.
Tenn NyG, SF all fit that criteria

I think Belichick has taught MacDaniels that you don't go to your second coaching job with little to no control and think MacDaniels will weigh that heavily when looking at his prospects. He won't be taking his GM with him unless its Lombardi, Caserio isn't going anywhere.

Caserio is by all accounts his best friend. I think if he went to a place like Tennessee or Detroit, it would be to go there together.

I am not sure if mcdaniels goes to such messy situations though, so it's a moot point.

I disagree I think Lombardi has a good chance of replacing Caserio if the right situation arises for Nick and Josh.
Also supposedly Josh said he wants to take over a rebuilding franchise which is eager to win.
Tenn NyG, SF all fit that criteria

The 49ers are also a dumpster fire of a franchise. Jed York is a joke. I know Jim Harbaugh is a apain in the neck, but you don't drive away a winner like thst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back