PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Is Indy really this dream job for a potential new coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I heard on the radio them talking about what if McDaniels gets offered the Indy job and can he turn it down even though it is a dream job even if it pisses of Belichick because of Deflategate. I just don't get why it is a dream job. I know why people think it is a dream job (Andrew Luck).

First, word is Ryan Grigson's job is safe and he is buddy/buddy with Irsay. Grigson is easily one of the five worst GMs in the league. His personnel decisions beyond drafting Andrew Luck and TY Hilton are legendary bad. He has basically thrown away every first round pick he has had other than the no brainer for Luck. Last offseason, he had desperate needs to rebuild both lines and he attacked those needs by signing Andre Johnson and Frank Gore as his big free agent signings and drafting a WR in the first round who sees more time as a special teamer than an offensive player. And let's not forget the ridiculous Trent Richardson trade.

Second, you have Jim Irsay as an owner. The guy is a boob. He will tweet stuff about the team that McDaniels would never want to get out. Other than Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder, he is probably the most meddlesome owner in the league.

Third, is Andrew Luck all that? At his best, he has been Brett Farve Lite. His reputation has always been far better than production on the field. He is a gun slinger and like most gun slingers, he can play awesome at times and is prone to the stupid and costly mistakes. I think he has benefitted from playing in a crap divsion too.

I am not sure if any of the jobs out there are going to be great, but I don't see the Colts' job as a dream job. If I am McDaniels, I might want the Giants' job more. Not a huge fan of Eli, but he is still an above average QB with one, possibly two elite WRs (if Cruz can return back from injury to his pre-injury form), they have more things in place to turn it around, and they don't have a meddlesome owner.

No way McDaniels would go to that clown show. Over Christmas I read it was Giants or bust (staying where he is) for McDaniels.

If I am McDaniels, I might want the Giants' job more. Not a huge fan of Eli, but he is still an above average QB with one, possibly two elite WRs (if Cruz can return back from injury to his pre-injury form), they have more things in place to turn it around, and they don't have a meddlesome owner.

The only downside to the Gints position is the media aspect which got to McDaniels in Denver. In every other aspect you're spot on. Good/great owner, solid core that can be built back to prominence fast, decent and durable QB, crap division...

IMO, I think that job isn't the worst only if Grigson were canned and Josh were given full control. There's no way anyone can call that a "dream job" while having to work with the crap Grigson drafts for you. If Josh can run things his way and draft his guys, it might be okay. Luck isn't as great as the media says he is, but he's still good - and "good" is a rare commodity in this league anymore. He doesn't necessarily want to have to go somewhere and bank on having to have a bad season and get a high draft pick to get a QB, and hope that QB works out, because they may not work out, and he may not survive long enough to get that pick and keep it.

But no arguing that Irsay sucks. He would have to have some assurances from Irsay that he would STFU, but I don't see that happening. So I can't imagine Josh would go.

Is Josh thinking of a HC job or is it folks here thinking it for him?

I would think he and Matt would like to continue their success here in Foxboro and perhaps either would inherit the throne....

Only advantage to Indy is you know the league office will "look the other way" for any infractions.

Otherwise, you have a QB. Will he be a HoFer. who knows, but he is at least well above average, except in the one area it really counts. Throwing/decision making. He won't be great until he gets his decision making where it needs to be to have continued/sustained success.

IMO, I think that job isn't the worst only if Grigson were canned and Josh were given full control. There's no way anyone can call that a "dream job" while having to work with the crap Grigson drafts for you. If Josh can run things his way and draft his guys, it might be okay. Luck isn't as great as the media says he is, but he's still good - and "good" is a rare commodity in this league anymore. He doesn't necessarily want to have to go somewhere and bank on having to have a bad season and get a high draft pick to get a QB, and hope that QB works out, because they may not work out, and he may not survive long enough to get that pick and keep it.

But no arguing that Irsay sucks. He would have to have some assurances from Irsay that he would STFU, but I don't see that happening. So I can't imagine Josh would go.

I am not saying Luck is bad. I think he is good. Just not anywhere near the Brady/Rodgers category and I don't think he is as good as guys like Rusell Wilson either. He is probably in the 5-7 range in rankings for QBs. Sure it makes him an attractive QB to build around, but not this elite QB that you can easily build a winner around him like say Brady or Peyton in his prime.

With the devoid of even decent QB play these days, just having Luck makes the Colts an attractive job. But my point is I don't know if it is a dream job. I wouldn't be surprised if Luck never sniffs the Super Bowl in his career.

One concern about Luck people are not talking about is how will the beating he took this year affect him? Many QBs who come back from significant injuries start to hear footsteps and are never the same QB that they were before the injury. Even Brady had a little of that in 2009.

I don't think it's a dream job they way the media (ESPN) says it is...

But if they can Grigson, its not as bad of a job as Pats fans think it is. Irsay is a boob and a drug addict, but regarding strictly football, he's not the worst owner to coach for. He'll tweet some things here and there, but he doesn't try to be a Jerry Jones and run the football team, and unlike other owners around the league, he does care to win games.

The only jobs (as of now) I'd consider taking if I were a coach would be the Giants or Indy.

Irsay is garbage and that alone makes the Colts job a disaster. The team barely won their single championship under his ownership with likely HOFs at GM, HC, QB, and DE (Freeney), a great/borderline HOF WR, an excellent TE, RB, SS, and many other good to great players, operating under rules twisted around to accommodate that one team above all others. And it still required several favorable penalty calls and a stop by their defense on a 3rd down in the 4th quarter to beat at their unusually hot home stadium a Patriots team that featured Caldwell as their WR1 to get them to a Super Bowl against the Rex Grossman Bears..

No way is McD stupid enough to work for that Coke-addled cretin under a proven failure of a GM starting with a defense that lousy.

With Grigson in Indy the answer would be no, another year of mediocrity no matter who the HC is..

With Grigson gone, possibly, dependent on who will be "buying the groceries" and how much input the HC has..

NY Giants could be a good gig, with Eli, Beckham and Cruz.. you could build upon that.

With possible exception of Bill O'Brien BB's proteges have not exactly set the NFL world on fire.. Weiss, Crennel and McDaniels..

I don't think it's a dream job they way the media (ESPN) says it is...

But if they can Grigson, its not as bad of a job as Pats fans think it is. Irsay is a boob and a drug addict, but regarding strictly football, he's not the worst owner to coach for. He'll tweet some things here and there, but he doesn't try to be a Jerry Jones and run the football team, and unlike other owners around the league, he does care to win games.

The only jobs (as of now) I'd consider taking if I were a coach would be the Giants or Indy.

I never said it was a horrible job (as long as Grigson is gone). I am just saying it isn't a dream job. Luck is a top 5-10 QB in a league where guys like Brian Hoyer are starters. Any job with a good QB is a an attractive job.

But the talent on Indy is really shallow and the team will needed to be blown up save a handful of players. I think they have had three or four wins outside the division in the past two years. They are far better off than say the Dolphins who need to blow it up and don't have the cap room to do so with a mediocre QB or the Eagles who have very little talent and no QB. But it isn't like a head coach can go in and compete for a Super Bowl right away as the media are stating. They have a lot of work to rebuild.

nightmares are dreams too. Irsay's father went behind the coach and GMs back and traded their number one pick for a proverbial sack of footballs......the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I would hope the Pats would refuse permission for the Colts to even talk to McDaniels.

There are plenty of opportunities for McD elsewhere and the Colts do not deserve to get anything from the Pats.......

for free.

Unless Colts fire Grigson and hire Caserio he isnt going there.

Browns possibly hometown team
Giants top 5 franchise strong ownership
Miami beautiful beach young offensive talent.
Niners dream franchise nightmare ownership.
Philly my town football city passionate pissed off fans bonehead owner and gm. Dont see BB endorsing that job to Josh.

Tennesee competitive division promising young QB young talented wideouts.
Hungry to wim rebuilding project possible destination for Josh if Kelly takes a different job or Josh wins the interview over him.

I heard on the radio them talking about what if McDaniels gets offered the Indy job and can he turn it down even though it is a dream job even if it pisses of Belichick because of Deflategate. I just don't get why it is a dream job.
I agree with what you are saying. The owner is at best unstable at worst a hard core drug addict, why would he want to tie his future to him?

Only advantage to Indy is you know the league office will "look the other way" for any infractions.
The stink will follow Josh, he was the OC when deflamegate happened.

I am not saying Luck is bad.
There is a theory that the Colts have ruined Andrew Luck. He came into the league with skills and swagger and stamina, and the Colts have taken these things away, and there's no guarantee he'll find them ever again. I could see his career following a really poor trajectory from here forward. The last time we saw him playing he seemed to be in fear for his life for good reason, the Colts put him behind a terrible OL and he kept getting pounded. Some people just don't come back from that.

Pros:
  • QB
  • Compliant media
  • Decent draft position
  • Easiest division in NFL

Cons:
  • Irsay
  • Grigson
  • Roster outside of QB

I think he could work with Irsay who doesn't seem meddlesome as much as clueless. He's a 60 year old frat boy. Get rid of Grigson and you can build something. Yearly trips to playoffs are possible.

I am not saying Luck is bad. I think he is good. Just not anywhere near the Brady/Rodgers category and I don't think he is as good as guys like Rusell Wilson either. He is probably in the 5-7 range in rankings for QBs. Sure it makes him an attractive QB to build around, but not this elite QB that you can easily build a winner around him like say Brady or Peyton in his prime.

With the devoid of even decent QB play these days, just having Luck makes the Colts an attractive job. But my point is I don't know if it is a dream job. I wouldn't be surprised if Luck never sniffs the Super Bowl in his career.

One concern about Luck people are not talking about is how will the beating he took this year affect him? Many QBs who come back from significant injuries start to hear footsteps and are never the same QB that they were before the injury. Even Brady had a little of that in 2009.
Yeah, it's definitely no dream job. I was trying to reason how it might be a kinda good job if certain things happened. You're right that anyone saying it is a "dream job" is probably on the same stuff as Irsay.

I totally agree with your major premise that Indy is NOT a prime job, even with Andrew Luck. But I disagree with your level on\of animosity to Luck. He is a lot better than "Bret Farve-light" You fail to remember how he carried a very mediocre team to the playoffs every year since he's been with the team (up until this season). How he improved every year (up until this season). And how he has proven he is a warrior and has a toughness worthy of being admired by a New Englander. Luck should be a MAJOR attraction for any HCing candidate.

Now that being said, I can almost hear Bill whispering in Josh's ear the best advise he can give him, which is "check out the owner FIRST". Bill had to learned the lesson of having an unsupportive owner first hand with Modell. He RAN away from the Jets job after just one look at a Woody, And he's seen the benefits of of having a supportive owner in Bob Kraft. If Bill can only give Josh one piece of advice it will be on how important the owner is to the success of your long term tenure.

And of course Indy has one of the worst owners in the NFL. Do you really want to pin your success on a guy who is a proven meddling crack head???? I don't THINK so. BTW- if Andrew Luck had a brain in his head he would be thinking about his exit strategy from Indy right now. That is how badly he's been used by that franchise.

So think about it. The guy who takes that job because he can have Andrew Luck as a QB, might not have him a couple of years down the road.

Now Indy is going to find a HC, but I believe that the best candidates (like Josh) won't go near that job. It is a BAD organization and it starts at the top.

Boo not the Colts Giants, Titans, Niners or Josh stays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back