PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Have the Jets always been this overhyped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Have the Jets always been this overhyped?

For those of you who have lived in Virginia, you'll recognize that the Redskins have a similar phenomenon every year. 9-7 at best for the Jests.

This year's Jets hype reminds me of the overblown hype for the 2000 Washington Redskins, who ended up 8-8. Let's hope the Jets end up worse than that.

In the preseason? Absolutely, always overhyped.

During the season, it's a roller coaster ride. Every time they win, they're the best team in football. Every time they lose, they'll be lucky to make the playoffs, right up until week 17.

Have the Jets always been this overhyped? is the grass green or the sky blue ? does a bear... all timeless questions. plato and socrates must have debated these. YES !! the jets are overhyped. in fact, it's redundant. they have their own national (and natural) hype machine (espn).

I have no problem saying this is the best Jets team since the 1980's when they had Toon and Walker at wideout with the sack exchange on D. Speaking objectively their talent and coach deserve respect.

Subjectively I hate them.

I have a real problem saying this Jet team is better than that era. I remember another pretty good Parcells coached Jet team in the late 90s where Vinnie T steped back against the Pats and poped his achillies. That was a team that I feared was a legit SB contendah but the fates declared otherwise.

I thought my life just flashed forward. How are the Jets "familiar faces to finish atop division?" Since when was the last time the Jets won the division? 2002. Good one Vic. :rolleyes:

Week 2 should be fun to watch the Pats destroy the over hyped Jets. Also, this just gave me another reason to hate the Colts for letting the Jets in the playoffs and starting this media nonsense.

Everyone was saying this last year. :cool:

Let's face it. Whenever a team takes high risk, high reward type of players like Cromartie, Holmes, and Tomlinson; they get overhyped.

I am surprised how much hype Cromartie is getting. The guy had 3 1/2 years of mediocre to average play and a half a season of very good, but overrated play (he got 3 of his 10 INTs vs. Manning in the worst game of his career where he threw 6 INTs and most of the rest of the INTs were against crappy QBs). Everyone feels that his 3 1/2 season of mediocre to average play was the abnormality and his half a season of great play is what the Jets are getting eventhough it was three years ago.

I also think people just assume the Jets' run offense isn't going to miss a beat even with Faneca and Jones gone and Greene going from back up to lead back. I think if the run offense is anything more than slightly off from last year, their offense is going to struggle. I still don't know if they can trust putting the ball in Sanchez's hands for more than a dozen or so passes a game.

Rex has just landed a book deal for a semi autobiographical piece of fluff that will primarily focus on his awesome leadership skills..LOL Apparently he felt it was too soon to do a pure autobiography, but the opportunity to blow his own leadership horn was another matter. The book will be compiled basically over the next several weeks as he multitasks running a televised training camp...due for publication in 2011. If they don't make the playoffs it will probably be available in those bins at Walmart for well under $9.99...if they don't crack .500...it will be available at buck a book.

Rex has just landed a book deal for a semi autobiographical piece of fluff that will primarily focus on his awesome leadership skills..LOL Apparently he felt it was too soon to do a pure autobiography, but the opportunity to blow his own leadership horn was another matter. The book will be compiled basically over the next several weeks as he multitasks running a televised training camp...due for publication in 2011. If they don't make the playoffs it will probably be available in those bins at Walmart for well under $9.99...if they don't crack .500...it will be available at buck a book.

Just read that Don Yaeger is writing it. He had written some good books (read "Under the Tarnished Dome") but I don't get why RR is such a compelling figure to write about from DYs point of view. Only reason must be $$$...

Didn't Herman Edwards write a book about his awesome leadership skills when he was the HC of the NYJ? LOL!!!!!!!!!!

You Play to Win the Game, Herman Edwards, Book - Barnes & Noble

The Jets are always the March Superbowl favorites.

Why is it? Jets fans are victory starved and will purchase any kind of optimistic drivel offered to them. Media not only being fully corrupt, they are always searching for a way to peddle their nonsense and fleece the Smucks. They will write the appropriate nonsense.

It helps immensely that the center of publishing is in New York, facilitating their over estimates of the potential sales of such drivel, as they always think the rest of the world is interested in their local provincial losers.

Last edited:
There's always a tendency to overhype NY teams when they are getting better, and the jets are getting better, however i have to wonder if their approach to building a team, trading for vets, and Ryan's coaching style will be able to sustain itself over the longer run, as the patriots have done, and i actually think the fish will be better long term. Ryan brought in some talented players this offseason and with the Edwards trade, but they're also the kind of players who are likely to crumble if things go south, and with that schedule that's a serious possibility. Ryan did a great job with their defense last year but inherited the best OL in football and i think they will take a step back losing Faneca and with Woody getting old, and given their reliance on a power rush game that could really hurt them. I was really impressed with Sanchez, not so much his rookie numbers, as i think he got overhyped, but with his approach to the game, i think he's a worker who will be a really good leader, and that was a great trade by the jets to get him. Overall i think they are stronger this year than last but i also think the Patriots are and they start from a much higher place than the jets, who were handed 2 wins to get them to 9-7 qnd really should never have been in the play-off's. had they not had those giveaways the offseason hype would be very different, and while some would still pick them to win the division it would be more measured and realistic.

I'm glad the fish and jets are better, it makes for a much better season, and i think the patriots players are going into this season knowing they are going to have a battle for the division, and i think they had become complacent last offseason believing they were locks for the play-off's before the first snap, so i see them working harder, playing harder, playing better, and winning the division.

When I hear the phrase "overhyped," I think of places like ESPN and NFL Network spewing crap about them nonstop. The only two years the Jets have been overhyped were '08 when they acquired Favre, and this year. The Jets traditionally have always sucked more or less and the media has paid little to no attention to them. However, we are division rivals, so that causes Pats fans to follow them closer and find every little shred of news or article coming out of NY. Obviously when following the team closely, any positive press or posts on a Jets message board will seem like hype.

But at the national level? No, the Jets have never been this overhyped. Far from it.

Last edited:
When I hear the phrase "overhyped," I think of places like ESPN and NFL Network spewing crap about them nonstop. The only two years the Jets have been overhyped were '08 when they acquired Favre, and this year. The Jets traditionally have always sucked more or less and the media has paid little to no attention to them. However, we are division rivals, so that causes Pats fans to follow them closer and find every little shred of news or article coming out of NY. Obviously when following the team closely, any positive press or posts on a Jets message board will seem like hype.

But at the national level? No, the Jets have never been this overhyped. Far from it.

You gotta be kidding me. I live in So Cal and a good percentage of casual fans out here talk about the Jets like they just assembled the dream team. The Jets hype machine is going forward, full steam ahead.

Last edited:
Don't you need a quarterback to have a "dream team"?

Don't you need a quarterback to have a "dream team"?

I've met some in this area think that LT still has it in him, Chromartie is an all-pro and that Sanchez is a phenomenal QB.

I've met some in this area think that LT still has it in him, Chromartie is an all-pro and that Sanchez is a phenomenal QB.

How's the drug market around where you are? :bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes