PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Have the Jets always been this overhyped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jah

Degeneracy Expert
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This is the first offseason I've actually followed. I went on NFL.com today and they had their analysts (maybe just one) predict who would win each division:

Familiar faces should finish atop divisions in competitive AFC is the AFC link.

Now, they have the Jets coming out on top. No surprise there because nearly every site is saying that. Although in the NFC predictions, they chose the Falcons to win the NFC South, which includes the Saints, so I'm a bit inclined to not take this seriously.

The thing that set me off, though, was the poll on the front page. The question was one that already has a thread of its own here: which non-Colts team is most likely to win the AFC? At the moment, the Jets are in the lead with 30%, and the Patriots are dead last with 12%. The choices are Baltimore, New England, NYJ, San Diego, and "some other team." Out of all of these, according to the general public, the Patriots are the LEAST likely. Call me a homer, but this doesn't seem right.

What is going on here? Have the Jets improved THAT much? They got high-profile players over the offseason, but they aren't particularly good. LT is most likely done. Holmes is missing a quarter of the season. Cromartie isn't even that good to begin with. Then comes their losses--Kerry Rhodes, Lito Sheppard, Thomas Jones, and Alan Faneca, among others. That has to hurt them. Then comes their draft, or lack thereof...4 picks are not going to help your team greatly. Judging by the positions their draft picks play, I'd argue that none of them will even see much playing time, except for Wilson. To me, this all seems like the Jets did not get better or worse from the offseason. It all depends on Sanchez. Picking up all of these big names doesn't automatically make you a 19-0 dream team.

I know that the Patriots have their fair share of question marks going into the coming season, but they're still just as competitive as the Jets are.

I guess the positive from all of this hype will be that it will be much sweeter to see the Jets end up 7-9 and third in the division. But my main question is that has this all happened before with the Jets? Have they always won the offseason Super Bowl?

Re: Have the Jets always been this overhyped?

Yes, the Jets are always massively overhyped. Remember when they got Brett Favre? Or when they hired Eric Mangini? Or when they hired Rex Ryan? Every year it's something new, and every year they're at best barely a .500 team.

Yes. Every single god damn year they are massively overhyped. It never fails. This year a little more than other years given where they finished. But the hype machine is still ridiculous. Every offseason we have Jets fans coming here to tell us how awesome they are and how they're going to take out the Patriots. Every season, they disappear.

We will only know if this Jets team is being over-hyped when the season is over.

We will only know if this Jets team is being over-hyped when the season is over.

We could know within the first few weeks of the season. The Jets could very well start out 2-4 (1-2 in the division). The first few weeks of their season approaching the bye week are absolutely brutal on paper right now. Of course, that doesn't always translate to how those teams are going to play during the season.

I'm sorry, the only pick-up they've made so far that even looks like it should (if Sanchez learns how to play QB that is) help would be Holmes. LT-done, Cromartie, well we've all seen that dissection of great plays from the jests melt-down... They have gotten worse, not better, than their .500 roster from last year. It will be great fun watching them implode this year. 7-9 is the high side of what i expect from them. I'm just hoping they finish with a better record than Oakland as to not mess with our pick ;)

sometimes folks can't get it through their thick skull that the season does not carry-over .. nothing that occurred last year has diddly pooh to do this upcoming season .. it amazes me ..

sometimes folks can't get it through their thick skull that the season does not carry-over .. nothing that occurred last year has diddly pooh to do this upcoming season .. it amazes me ..

Jim Mora, is that you? :cool:

We could know within the first few weeks of the season. The Jets could very well start out 2-4 (1-2 in the division). The first few weeks of their season approaching the bye week are absolutely brutal on paper right now. Of course, that doesn't always translate to how those teams are going to play during the season.

Well, the team could start 0-4 and still end up in the Super Bowl, at least theoretically. That's why I mentioned the end of the season. I should probably have put the end of THEIR season, in case of an early elimination.

The Jets look good on paper, which is getting them a lot of hype now. However, this is football. Teams don't have the same 22 starters for every game. Any Jets fans want to tell us all of your backups so we can laugh? :lol2:

Never heard of this "Jets" team. However, there is an NFL American Conference East team that plays in New Jersey called the Green Beans. They're coached by a fat gasbag named Jabba Wrecks, and their running back is a fellow called LaClassian. :singing:

No, it's LaDy T

For those of you who have lived in Virginia, you'll recognize that the Redskins have a similar phenomenon every year. 9-7 at best for the Jests.

For those of you who have lived in Virginia, you'll recognize that the Redskins have a similar phenomenon every year. 9-7 at best for the Jests.

Does this go for the Falcons too, as of recent years? This is all what I've heard, and not seen because I didn't follow any previous offseasons.

I have no problem saying this is the best Jets team since the 1980's when they had Toon and Walker at wideout with the sack exchange on D. Speaking objectively their talent and coach deserve respect.

Subjectively I hate them.

Let them hype it as much as they want once reality hits them in the head, the sweeter it will taste.

If only all life's questions were this easy.

Yes.

The overhyping of the Jets is a rite of spring, like the first Robin.

I thought my life just flashed forward. How are the Jets "familiar faces to finish atop division?" Since when was the last time the Jets won the division? 2002. Good one Vic. :rolleyes:

Week 2 should be fun to watch the Pats destroy the over hyped Jets. Also, this just gave me another reason to hate the Colts for letting the Jets in the playoffs and starting this media nonsense.

Last edited:

Well, the team could start 0-4 and still end up in the Super Bowl, at least theoretically. That's why I mentioned the end of the season. I should probably have put the end of THEIR season, in case of an early elimination.

It's awfully hard to start 0-4 when they play their own superbowl so early. Which team are they playing the superbowl against this year, cause I forget.... :rolleyes:

The Jets have lived off of hype ever since Joe Willie Namath "guaranteed" an impossible win in SB III and then went out and delivered on it. They play in the world's biggest media, entertainment and glamor market.

So, the answer is "Yes they have been and always will be."

As for this Jet's team, it's pretty good. The Jets have a coach whom we (myself included) love to hate but who also got his team to overachieve with a shaky rookie QB in the Playoffs last year. So, maybe we have to admit it's not all hype. Personally, I could see them going anywhere between a last place 6--10 (after starting 0--3) and a Division Winning 11--5 this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes