PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Favre not coming back

Status
Not open for further replies.
If his ankle passes muster, he'll be back. No doubt in my mind.

So basically the media drummed all of this stuff up out of thin air, Favre said nothing and didn't text anybody but they will throw it back on him anyways.

That's what Favre is contending, which is seldom the way it is... His teamates admitted getting the texts. But Brett has no qualms about throwing them or the reporter who broke the story based on what they told him under the bus because he has well developed situational ethics based on he always says and does what's in Brett's best interest.

This is an interesting piece by the man who negotiated his 10 year $100M contract in 2001 at a time when all parties expected him to play another 2-3 seasons before retiring a Packer.

Having been around Brett for a decade, I have always found him to be a fascinating and likeable contradiction, hedging his bets along the way to keep as many options open as possible. He has said he doesn’t care about records, which he cares deeply about. He has said he doesn’t care about money, but he -- like everyone who says that – of course does. His press conferences are skilled exercises in hidden meaning, usually with lines like “I’m not saying…” statements which, of course, mean, “I’m saying…”.

I always smiled when I heard people speculating about Brett’s deep, soul-searching times down in Mississippi trying to decide what to do. I don’t think it was ever quite that pensive on his part.

Brett has never shied from the fact that he loves playing football, the emphasis on “playing”. He was easily bored and especially uninterested in the tedium of the offseason, especially those endless meetings. He just wanted to play. And fortunately for him, he has had that option, both last year – which he took advantage of – and this year, which reportedly he will not.

I remember talking with Brett as we watched the ways of Roger Clemens a few years back. I always sensed Brett wanted to be the Clemens of football – sans steroid allegations – picking a team in the middle of the season and riding in on his steed to lead them to glory.

Unfortunately, football does not work like baseball... Clemens could pitch for anyone; he threw the same pitches no matter what uniform he was wearing. Football is about schemes, about reps, about eleven interdependent parts on the field working through checks and reads, etc. It is not the atmosphere for a player to magically appear midstream and make things happen. Or, as Favre might wonder, is it?

Brett redux: for real this time? | National Football Post

Our old pal Rodney checked in on season 4 of Favre will he won't he mania. I like that he pointed out that you will NEVER see Brady or Manning pull this crap because it's so disrespectful of the game and your teamates and organization. And he is adamant that as a player you know what you can and what you're going to do long before camp rolls around...

DP Show: Favre frenzy - Video - SI.com

So who do you blame - the ol' hillbilly for waffling like this yet again and leaving his teammates in the lurch... or Childress and the Vikings, for building their team around him when they knew durn well he would pull this BS again?!

If we were in this situation 10 years ago it'd be a lot different. The Vikes surely watched him dink around the question every year for most of this decade, and now he's 40 years old with a very questionable ankle injury. Granted, it's not like he'd be their only good player, but they haven't exactly prepared at the QB position. Tavarius Jackson is supposed to just step in if Favre leaves them at the altar?

So who do you blame - the ol' hillbilly for waffling like this yet again and leaving his teammates in the lurch... or Childress and the Vikings, for building their team around him when they knew durn well he would pull this BS again?!

If we were in this situation 10 years ago it'd be a lot different. The Vikes surely watched him dink around the question every year for most of this decade, and now he's 40 years old with a very questionable ankle injury. Granted, it's not like he'd be their only good player, but they haven't exactly prepared at the QB position. Tavarius Jackson is supposed to just step in if Favre leaves them at the altar?

You certainly can blame the Vikings for making a deal with the devil. Both Favre and the Vikings know and have known since the end of last year that short of a doctor saying he won't be medically cleared to play he is playing QB in Minnesota in 2010. He has an agreement with Childress that he can skip camp. It is the same agreement Childress made with him last year. In the end I don't think the public cares although some teammates might.

The circus around this guy every summer is what has made people hate the guy and the circus is all on Favre. All he has to do is keep quiet and there is no news, no story, no distraction. But then his texts wouldn't have gotten him the headlines he lives for. It also will get him somewhere between 3m and 7m in extra change that the good ole boy, the just here to have fun gunslinger cares about as much as TO ever did.

That's what Favre is contending, which is seldom the way it is...
What he is contending is often the way it is. Look at all the Brady crap thats been going on this summer, need I say anymore?

Re: OT-Favre not coming back

Why do you feel the need to ALWAYS be talking about how great NY is and how successful you are for living there?

All Nieu Yawkers feel that way. It is only through that superior attitude, that they can put up with the dirt, crime, urine stink, grafitti, high taxes, poor housing, and generally sh!tty living conditions there.

Re: OT-Favre not coming back

1. I've seen this before, where a report comes out about Favre, Favre is quiet for 2 days without verifying/denying, everyone comments/reacts, Favre denies the report, reporters stand behind the story and his sources seem credible, months later the report is found to be accurate.
2. Whatever Brett Favre says can't be trusted. He has a history of going back and forth and waffling and saying things contrary to his actions.
3. This happened last year, only with his shoulder.
4. Favre will come back and play, but only after he misses all but the last week of the pre-season.

My theory is that Brett started to hear criticism from the fans regarding his waiting game. So his way to get rid of the criticism is to fake-retire (or leak a misleading report that he's going to retire) and put out a few hints that his ankle is bothering him, but enough to make the Vikings think that he's leaning towards not coming back. Then it'll look like he was going to retire, but the Vikings convinced him to come back, and he can be the Viking savior, all while missing even more training camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes