PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Fan passed away at Gillette Last night

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
This is obviously terrible news. :(

Won’t try to speculate who was at fault, both, one or what. Maybe that info will come out more.

Will say it’s shameful seeing situations likes this where grown adults can’t come to the reality that it’s a freaking game. Sad that a family has to live with the ramifications of this.

Prayers to the Mooney family

It sounds like a Dolphins vs Patriots fan fight that ended tragically

Too many drunks at the night games
The day games are usually no problem, but people have a lot more time to drink before the night game.

The Gillette is far more lenient with drunks than Fenway or the TD Garden

I have only had 1 issue at Gillette
About 10 years ago at the first game of the year there was a guy drunk as skunk at 1pm kickoff. He was swearing up a storm & I was with my 7 year old & the women in front of me had her young daughter

She texted the number on the tickets & about 15 minutes later two useless old farts showed up & asked what was going on

The women was afraid to speak so I spoke up & pointed out the drunk and told them what he was doing. They did absolutely nothing other than say, “stop it” & they were gone.

I then had one of the guys ask if I texted security. I told them no, & asked them which one owned the season tickets

The ticket holder was not there. I told them, well you can tell them you lost their season tickets because I am going to report what happened & they will lose their tickets

The other guys immediately got the drunk to shut up & they were all gone at halftime

The only person I reported them to was the season ticket holder the following week.
Those guys never showed again & I am still in the same seats

No other problems since then

Sorry for the Rosanne Rosannadanna rant, I am getting old :)

It’s one of the lead stories in the most popular newspaper in English, the Daily Mail.

There are security cameras all over the stadium. The suspect, reportedly a Dolphins fan, who punched Dale three times in the head causing his death is likely on footage. They should already know who it is.

Yet so far not even a description. What’s going on?

Tragedy for the Mooney family out of Newmarket, NH, which is near the coast next to Durham. Outrageous there have been no arrests.

Some will now decide going to a game isn’t worth it. Wait forever in line for access to a urinal. Then face the possibility of a thug attack.

It sounds as if this were an attack from behind without warning. Just gruesome.

Krafts, what the hell is going on? Wake the FU.

Last edited:
We used to say "Sports builds character." That was the rationale. for example, for team sports being incorporated into educational institutions. Once upon a time, I engaged in an informal, public debate on this, in an academic setting, before an audience of students and a few staff. I had the negative side. I don't remember the details of the resolution, but my job was to defend the proposition that organized team athletics had no legitimate place in academic settings. I carved out as exceptions such physical activities as were intended to help students to develop fitness, to become habituated to activities which might ensure fitness and health throughout life: gym class, jogging, maybe cross country, and so on. I offered statistics which demonstrated that those who participate in "organized team sports" are actually less likely to be lifelong exercisers than those who do not. Whether this is because of injury or out of an instilled need for public performance and acclaim, the study did not say. I offered studies which showed that at least in the case of male team sports, there was a "diminished capacity for moral reflection in participants." The study did not address whether this was because those drawn to such activity were likely to suffer this deficit whether they subsequently chose to participate or not. (I cannot locate my old notes, so I cannot offer a refence for this study, for which I apologize.) When the debate was over, the students thought that I won the debate despite the fact that I was obviously wrong. LOL. Fair enough,: Lord knows dumb ideas win debates all the time. Check out any news outlet.

Though I freely admit that have not further studied the matter in any depth, it seems to me that the proposition that these days sports builds character - either in fans or participants - is an even more questionable a proposition than it once was. The Battle of Waterloo, it was said, was "won on the playing fields of Eton." While there may be some carryover from the activity of athletics to the activities of war - to "military virtue," if you like - the carryover into other realms of morality seems to me more questionable than ever.

I have been a fan of the Patriots since they were the Boston Patriots. I would like the think the Pats are somewhat ahead of the crowd when it comes to valuing character in its players, but that may just be biased horses--t. All I can say is that the pleasure of following sports is somewhat a guilty pleasure for me, and that that guilt is a little deeper this morningafter reading about the ugly matter under discussion.

It’s one of the lead stories in the most popular newspaper in English, the Daily Mail.

There are security cameras all over the stadium. The suspect, reportedly a Dolphins fan, who punched Dale three times in the head causing his death is likely on footage. They should already know who it is.

Yet so far not even a description. What’s going on?

Tragedy for the Mooney family out of Newmarket, NH, which is near the coast next to Durham. Outrageous there have been no arrests.

Some will now decide going to a game isn’t worth it. Wait forever in line for access to a urinal. Then face the possibility of a thug attack.

It sounds as if this were an attack from behind without warning. Just gruesome.

Krafts, what the hell is going on? Wake the FU.
Witness on the news last night stated the two were going at it verbally quite a bit.

They State Troopers will identify the individual, they aren’t going to release a description, they will figure who it is with cameras then start trying to actually place a name to the face.

Last week against the Eagles a water bottle was thrown on the field towards an official from the first few rows of my section, no one really saw who did it, about five minutes later the State Troopers were coming down both staircases, everyone was pointing towards the first few rows, whoever saw the person do it wouldn’t point the person out so the Troopers left. They were back in the section in 15 minutes and walked right down to the person and pointed at him and said let’s go.

Grown adults getting into fights at a game will never make sense to me. It happens from youth sports all the way up. People need to get a grip and realize whatever you're mad about isn't worth it.

Seems like such a nothing punch. While the punch likely contributed to this man's death, could be something else that ultimately killed him. Probably why there's a delay in announcing the charges.

Also, shouldn't the headline say, "Man killed in fight at Gillette last night."

Have any arrests been done? The most recent article says no. That’s difficult to accept.

We can thank Tyreek for encouraging dolphins fans to come crazy to our stadium?

Dale Mooney, a Pats fan and a season ticket holder, was one of us. I think a big show of support is justified at his funeral, if there is one.

Ian, can you determine if he was a poster here?

This story sickens me.

Kraft needs to spend more money on security. The perpetrator was able to waltz out of the stadium under his own power? That’s unacceptable if true.

Is this the same incident that was reported as a medical event, possible heart attack during the game? Or is this a separate incident?

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back