PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Trade Deadline Rumors, including Bourne and Agholar

Yup, pats fans still insist Tua sucks and Mac is better than him (despite never being able to beat him). Tua is having a career year (#1 in a bunch of categories), while Mac is #1 in INT%.
Tua more TD than picks huge disparity too.

Chubb has been having a really good year this year, but he has been a disappointment since his rookie year up until this year. That is a lot to give up to a guy who has mostly underachieved during his career.

Again, from what I saw on Broncos message boards, Broncos fans weren't upset to see him go.
True. He has been injured quite a bit so far in his career. I think he an Von only played a handful of games together. They were supposed to be the bookends of the Donks D. That didn't work out. We will see in December how good this Phins D will be.

I was shocked it didn’t happen.
It would have been the most BB move ever.
I remember saying that.
Guaranteeing it would happen.
Damn I was wrong.
Bill Belichick Yes GIF by New England Patriots

Tua more TD than picks huge disparity too.
I'm not saying Tua's not better, but to play devil's advocate, Tua has one more year in the league than Mac and Mac's been to more ProBowls and Playoffs than Tua so far. Obviously this year is trending differently, though.

Chubb hasn't been the same player since his rookie year...his sack numbers have been way down. It'll be interesting to see if he can have a resurgence in Miami
A lot of people don't seem to see that. He's a name player though for some reason, but hasn't made much of an impact. Maybe he flourishes in Miami, but I would've waited to how he did before opening the checkbook.
That’s got Rams all over it.
If I’m BB I trade Judon during the next draft.
I’m all about selling at their highest point.
While I agree, the Pats pass rush would be even more pedestrian without him. Wise Jr. is on his way to having a career year, but can we trust him to do this again without a guy like Judon drawing attention?

A lot of people don't seem to see that. He's a name player though for some reason, but hasn't made much of an impact. Maybe he flourishes in Miami, but I would've waited to how he did before opening the checkbook.

While I agree, the Pats pass rush would be even more pedestrian without him. Wise Jr. is on his way to having a career year, but can we trust him to do this again without a guy like Judon drawing attention?
I’m advocating drafting at least 2 pass rushers high in the next draft.
As well as D tackle O line and game breaking receiver.

Let's hope he doesn't earn those Millions against our Mac.

Allegedly..

Hopefully this means that the Pats will be aggressive to add a top WR prospect.

I think they improve the team via trades in the offseason rather than free agency, this would allow them to receive comp picks if they lose Meyers, Damian Harris or any of the other free agents. Since the Pats will only have around 36 MM in open cap space (less than I anticipated) I don't think they charge into free agency, but instead trade for players and extend them to use their cap space.

Since the Pats will only have around 36 MM in open cap space (less than I anticipated) I

What? Did you just make that number up in your head? Patriots will have about $60m in cap space for 2023, 4th most of any team before any cap cuts or restructures. That's more than they had available when they spent in 2021.

The Bourne and Agahlor trade rumors never made any sense.

Why even go there when Parker has a history of missing time? Like now. Thornton started off hurt and the Pats have no earthly idea what to expect from him as a Pro. All these guys have gone through camp and know the offense and you get rid of at least 1 and bring in a new face. Why???

What? Did you just make that number up in your head? Patriots will have about $60m in cap space for 2023, 4th most of any team before any cap cuts or restructures. That's more than they had available when they spent in 2021.
Miguel (pats cap) was on the locked on pats podcast and said 36 mm. The pats have a bunch of money likely to be paid out via not likely to be earned bonuses. Once a not likely to be earned bonus is achieved then it becomes a likely to be earned bonus next year. Not likely to be earned bonuses don’t count against the cap until they are earned likely to be earned bonus count against the cap. So players like Judon, Wise and Trent Brown are probably going to lessen the cap space for next season.

Miguel (pats cap) was on the locked on pats podcast and said 36 mm. The pats have a bunch of money likely to be paid out via not likely to be earned bonuses. Once a not likely to be earned bonus is achieved then it becomes a likely to be earned bonus next year. Not likely to be earned bonuses don’t count against the cap until they are earned likely to be earned bonus count against the cap. So players like Judon, Wise and Trent Brown are probably going to lessen the cap space for next season.

36m is still more than all but 7 teams and that's not even counting the LTBE stuff for the 7 teams ahead and Pats can still free up more. So if they want to they can still be players in FA and kick some cans down the road with backloading as the cap will continue to balloon especially with those NFL Sunday Ticket streaming rights up for the highest bidder.

The trade deadline should be moved back another week at least... Think about how many more players would be dealt when the sellers would have separated themselves even farther from the buyers...
It's been moved back twice already, one week each time. I think this is why we saw so much activity this year, because it became clear to some teams like DEN, PIT, DET etc that it made no sense to hang on to players they weren't going to sign/extend in the off season.

In the case of Claypool I heard the bidding started with a 2nd, because PIT said they were going to get a 3rd for compensation so they might as well keep him for the rest of the year if no one would offer a 2nd. Getting CHI's 2nd seems like good value since overall it should be top-half of the draft.

The old-school NFL did not want to push back the trade deadline. The thought was you should build your team in the off season. If you could shift a major player during the season then the whole construction of the schedule would suffer because a team that used to be strong would now be weak, or vice versa, and that could shift the standings. Of course injuries could do the same thing, but those are out of anybody's control.

The new-school NFL is now mostly concerned about entertainment, so we could see what you want, the deadline shifted even further back.

You could see some strange things if you push it back too far. We really could see a team totally dismantle itself during the season, trading away everything they can trade and finishing out the season with scrubs. We could see a team cherry pick a lot of talent to try to make a playoff push and set themselves up for years of cap hell just to do so. We could see teams say "let's just get to the trade deadline then we can decide to go all in or not". We could see money change hands under the table to enable certain transactions. It seems the NFL just did not want to make this become too big a thing, to remove these kinds of temptations.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back