PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dan Orlovsky Top 5 QB's Of All Time

Just finished reading the ESPN story about Montana. I highly recommend it for its insight into the mentality of someone like him and Brady. it’s as bittersweet as you might imagine. I loved watching Montana all the way back to the Notre Dame years, I knew he struggled personally and am glad he seems to have found happiness and purpose now. Having a great partner has been a Godsend for him. Makes me feel wistful for Brady, I love the guy and hope he figures out how he can be truly happy in life after football, sooner than Super Joe.

In reference to Tom, Joe can’t help resenting him which is very understandable. Joe has to rationalize that Tom’s era was just so much different from his. I’m sure Unitas, Bradshaw, Staubach, Starr, Graham, Baugh, Van Brocklin, and Layne felt the same because it is the truth. I know I feel the same way for example as a fan about comparing Russell to Jordan and James, Orr to Gretzky and Lemieux, Mays to Bonds or Griffey, etc. I marvel at how gracious Russell was and same goes for Abdul-Jabbar last night when it came to “passing the torch.”

Still here I am on this thread because as sports fans we love to see who winds up on top at the end so the all time rankings will always be fun to debate. For me it’s Brady then Montana and then everyone else especially those I never got to see play, basically everyone preceding Bradshaw. My criteria are number of titles and my impression of their ability to lead when victory seemed impossiblle. While I wouldn’t put Mahomes on any top 5 or 10 list just yet, he is about as good as I’ve seen since Brady emerged in the leadership element. I’m definitely not a fan of the Chiefs and am hoping the Eagles win Sunday but I love watching Mahomes pull things off so am good with him doing well.
49ers were just as stupid as the Patriots in letting the GOAT of his generation leave.

I'm sure Joe's perspective is warped by his good friend Jerry Rice's f'd up opinions too.

49ers were just as stupid as the Patriots in letting the GOAT of his generation leave.

I'm sure Joe's perspective is warped by his good friend Jerry Rice's f'd up opinions too.

Steve Young won a Super Bowl with the 49ers the year after they replaced Montana with him as the starter. I am not so sure the 49ers were stupid for letting Montana go and moving onto Young. The season before they got rid of Montana, Montana was injured and Young replaced him to have an MVP winning season. Young got his second MVP in 1994.

The 49ers were not stupid to let Montana go. He had back issues and they had an MVP caliber QB as their back up. Unfortunately, that was before free agency really kicked in, so you could stash two MVP caliber QBs on your roster back then. The Pats couldn't behind Brady.

Brady
Montana
Manning

I honestly don't really care who comes next those 3 are head and shoulders better than anyone else. Elway, Marino, Mahomes (too soon but he will be on here eventually), Favre, Rodgers.. Next tier.

Joe Montana is probably my favorite QB not named Tom Brady. However, I really can't wrap my head around the "he had a better superbowl winning %" argument. It makes zero sense.

Using that logic, losing in the AFCC/NFCC or missing the playoffs completely counts for more than being a SB loser. In other words, we are discrediting Brady for making it all the way to the Superbowl and losing it? It makes absolute zero sense to me

Using that logic, losing in the AFCC/NFCC or missing the playoffs completely counts for more than being a SB loser. In other words, we are discrediting Brady for making it all the way to the Superbowl and losing it? It makes absolute zero sense to me
7 Gold Medals/3 Silver medals vs 4 Gold medals

Marino had modern era level stats until 1988, averaging 4300 yards and 36 passing TDs per 16 games played. The other 11 years of his career were basically in line with most of his peers (3800 yards and 23 TDs per 16 games).
True but he started to get banged up by the early 90's though and still threw for 30/4500 after that. Doing what he did early on was unheard of back them. Second season he had the best year ever up until then. Fastest to 100. He cooled down for multiple reasons but again those early years were special.

Curious who people would take out of only Rodgers, Elway and Marino???

I joke around about Elway but think he's a top 15-20 QB. He just doesn't stack up well compared to others imo.

He was bad in a lot of big games. Including almost every SB he played in. His teams beat some ok opponents and got manhandled against real all-time teams. Not entirely his fault at all mind you but again he **** the bed in A LOT of big games. SB and PO.

Few other SB stats
76 completions / 152 attempts
3 TD / 8 INT

I'm not saying he sucks at all but he's firmly in the that second tier imo.

Also everyone knows Shanahan was better for Elway man. He helped save his career. I'm sure Elway would have been better but that's another discussion and one we could have for a lot of players.
Go through the 3 losses… all of those picks basically came when the games were decided. 2 of them were over by halftime. They never had a chance

Steve Young won a Super Bowl with the 49ers the year after they replaced Montana with him as the starter. I am not so sure the 49ers were stupid for letting Montana go and moving onto Young. The season before they got rid of Montana, Montana was injured and Young replaced him to have an MVP winning season. Young got his second MVP in 1994.

The 49ers were not stupid to let Montana go. He had back issues and they had an MVP caliber QB as their back up. Unfortunately, that was before free agency really kicked in, so you could stash two MVP caliber QBs on your roster back then. The Pats couldn't behind Brady.
It was two years and two lost NFCCG's after; One (1) Super Bowl win. Yes Montana got hurt. But the guy didn't earn any cred? Young. I'm not going to (again) rattle off the list of comparative also rans who won MVP's.

The Patriots did not have an MVP caliber QB on the roster with Brady.

Go through the 3 losses… all of those picks basically came when the games were decided. 2 of them were over by halftime. They never had a chance
His PO stats aren't much better if you go through them. 54 comp % and a barely positive TD INT ratio.

Again I don't think he sucks. He's just firmly in that second tier of QB's imo. And yes his career would look a lot different with a better coach. For sure.

It was two years and two lost NFCCG's after; One (1) Super Bowl win. Yes Montana got hurt. But the guy didn't earn any cred? Young. I'm not going to (again) rattle off the list of comparative also rans who won MVP's.

The Patriots did not have an MVP caliber QB on the roster with Brady.

The 49ers went to the NFCCG the first two years, went to one Super Bowl, and won that Super Bowl the two years post Montana. Plus they went 14-2 and went to the NFCCG in 1992 which was the year Montana was injured and Steve Young played most of the season including the playoffs. Don't forget the two years they lost in the NFCCG, it was to the Cowboys which was a super team because of the Herschel Walker trade.

It is tough to argue that the 49ers made a huge mistake moving on from Montana to Steve Young.

Name me ten QB's you'd take over Mahomes?? Genuinely asking and curious. I know all about recency bias and probably rooting for Hurts > Mahomes but W or L. He's had the best start ever and plays, sees the the game a lot differently than most.

I think I finally found out Timmy’s identity. he is one of Montana’s family members

from a recent ESPN profile
Montana's family is protective of his legacy. His sons accurately point out that no modern quarterback has ever taken hits like the ones their dad absorbed regularly. Jennifer correctly says the game has changed too much to compare eras and that he played in four and won four.

It's surprising the only QBs to have multiple MVPs and Super Bowl MVPs are Joe Montana and Tom Brady. And more suprising the only to have multiple MVPs and multiple rings are Montana, Brady, and Peyton Manning*.

The Super Bowl MVP should not have gone to Mahomes in 2019, but it's a fact that he's credited with it. If he wins Sunday, he has multiple MVPs, multiple Super Bowl MVPs, and is the first player in like 23 years to win them both in the same year.
Brady has the most combined MVPs with 8. Peyton Manning is second with 6. I can see Mahomes catching Brady in this (imaginary) category because he seems like he'll be a 5x NFL MVP and if wins SB MVP on Sunday then he'll need only one more.

Brady should have won MVP of SB 39. He also should have won NFL MVP in 2016 and 2021. He should have gotten more MVP votes in 2015 too but I see the case for Newton.

It's almost like "he knew he forgot someone... brain fart!" Any idiot putting Montana 3rd in his era behind Ringless Dan and "I can win it with running backs" Elway is nuts, or just doesn't appreciate winning. Shut upppppp.

Leaving off Montana is rediculous but considering Mahomes is not. He's been that good. If he wins it this year I think he passes Manning. I've been thinking this for awhile.

For now I think this is it:
Brady
Montana
Marino
Elway
Manning
No no no no no no no no no.

No Marino. Also I don't get the recentism. Are we starting this list in 1980? I mean that's 43 years ago now, but still.

Sorry, no ring, no Top 5. ARGH. You play to win the game.

True but he started to get banged up by the early 90's though and still threw for 30/4500 after that. Doing what he did early on was unheard of back them. Second season he had the best year ever up until then. Fastest to 100. He cooled down for multiple reasons but again those early years were special.

Curious who people would take out of only Rodgers, Elway and Marino???
Hands down Marino.

I would take Marino before Manning

damn he’s still butthurt about Brady lol

He went to the Chiefs, who in 1991 and 1992 finished 10-6 with Steve DeBerg and Dave Krieg. So unfortunate he wasn't able to spend more years surrounded by future HoFs and all-pros everywhere, like he was most of his career.

Something intensely satisfying about Joe Montana watching the Super Bowl pre-game, where Brady talks about Joe as his hero and references the Dwight Clark catch, followed by Joe screaming at the TV and punching the wall when James White crosses the goal line.

A Garbage thread

About a Garbage anal-yst

And his boicrush for a Garbage QB

Started by a Garbage poster

#NotMyAFCChamps

#NotMySB

#RefuseToComply

#AnyoneButKC

#SendTheMeteorNowSatan

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle