PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT-Colts fire Polian...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There cannot be a trade. Manning's option is due 5 days before the league year begins. There are no trades allowed until FA opens. If the Colts don't pick up the option, Manning is a UFA before the league year begins. If they do pick up the option, he's untradeable because the $28M the Colts would have paid lands on their cap and if they then traded him his dead cap to the Colts in 2012 would be $38M...

Agreed but what would prevent Manning from modifying his contract to defer the bonus to say a week past FA start were he to be traded to a team of his own choosing? Assumedly it would have to be to a contender just missing a super QB, e.g. Miami.

the elephant in the room is...is he healthy enough to play a couple more seasons? How does a trade franchise know this?

Last edited:
Many of us disliked him the way we disliked Manning himself, or Marino, or any other major rival. The way other fans dislike Brady and Belichick. We'd probably be huge fans if he was on our side.

Bill Polian is the guy who choked a Jets staffer in the tunnel during a game once. I've never heard of Manning or Marino doing that.

No way would I rule out the Jets or Miami. Two situations where teams would be instant contenders w/ Manning...

I would throw the Cowboys in there ... he is a desperate man with that new stadium ... Romo has peaked and cannot take them all the way.

No way would I rule out the Jets or Miami. Two situations where teams would be instant contenders w/ Manning...

But could you honestly see Wrecks allowing Manning to run the offense??? I'm not sure if the stadium is big enough for Wrecks and Peyton's ego..

But could you honestly see Wrecks allowing Manning to run the offense??? I'm not sure if the stadium is big enough for Wrecks and Peyton's ego..

Yes, Rex would do anything it takes at this point to win. He's desperate not to get fired and humiliated any more.

He'd love it. It's actually a pretty ideal situation for both guys. Rex is a defensive guy, anyway.

The only reason Peyton wouldn't do it would be the fact that Eli already owns NY. But it may not be up to him.

Agreed but what would prevent Manning from modifying his contract to defer the bonus to say a week past FA start were he to be traded to a team of his own choosing? Assumedly it would have to be to a contender just missing a super QB, e.g. Miami.

the elephant in the room is...is he healthy enough to play a couple more seasons? How does a trade franchise know this?

The CBA rules are what would prevent Manning from modifying his contract. It can't be changed until after 1 year from the signing date. Which is July 30th..

If Wrecks still has a job after this display, then the NFL needs to see about finding a new owner for the NY Jets. Which would be bad for everyone because they might find someone who is competent..

Only common sense. Why would he want a team he is going to play for have to trade away picks that might help him win? Forget that the trade price would also impact what they're willing to pay for him in $$$...

This contract was constructed the way it was not by accident, but for a reason. It allowed the Colts to avoid being on the hook for all that dead cap in the form of signing bonus or guarantees with him coming off an injury there was little insight on at the tradeoff price of assuring his ability to continue to control his own destiny.

At the end of the day he doesn't give a rats ass what happens to the Colts if he can still play and they choose to walk away from him before he's ready to walk away from the game. Period. And why should he...

He got a lot of credit for Buffalo's heyday when it was essentially those who came before him. He got a lot of credit for asseembling an expansion franchise on the fly with all the carte blanche they hand out in those situations and he bailed on that sucker once the bill came due, and he got a lot of credit for picking Manning over Leaf...and rode that sucker like a rented mule until his neck broke...

Goes around finally comes around. Bet lots of folks are chuckling tonight... Tried to turn Indy into his own little fifedom for his kid but it turns out old man Irsay's kid who did pay his dues decided the franchise was his and Indy's and not Polian's. And don't be surprised if Irsay also decides the legacy built over the last 13 years remains Mannings - if he can play - and not Polian's. Irsay is loyal to a fault and for him to move on from Polian screams Polian and his kid had become so blatently toxic that Irsay felt justified in moving on from them for the good of the franchise.

I doubt anyone extends a hand to Polian or his kid any time soon.

He took over the Bills when they were 2-14. He convinced Jim Kelly to come to Buffalo from the USFL, hired Marv Levy, traded for Nate Odomes and Conrenlius Bennett, drafted Thurman Thomas, and helped build the core for the 4 straight SB appearance.

He could have screwed up the Panthers franchise from the get go, God knows how many GMs screw things like that up, but he didn't and built a pretty good team.

He then bolted for the Colts because they offered him the President position which is a step up from his GM gig at the Panthers. Can you blame him? He then drafted Peyton (he could have screwed that up), and a slew of good to great players early in the decade and had the Colts contending for 10 straight years. Not too many GMs have had the career this guy has had.

I don't like him, but he's a damn good GM.

The CBA rules are what would prevent Manning from modifying his contract. It can't be changed until after 1 year from the signing date. Which is July 30th..

That is not true. He could delay the date of the option. The rule about revisiting contracts is tied to having already revisited them (you can't do that more than once a year). His is a new deal...

If Manning wanted to he could give the Colts more time in exchange for a no trade provision being added to the contract in exchange for delaying the option. But even that wouldn't serve Manning or a new team of his choice (with whom he'd want to get to work yesterday).

Agreed but what would prevent Manning from modifying his contract to defer the bonus to say a week past FA start were he to be traded to a team of his own choosing?

I'm not sure how this would work. First off, I'm genuinely ignorant about the current CBA restrictions on re-negotiations in a 12-month period (used to be outlawed), and the ability to re-negotiate before the league year starts.

But assuming it's possible...Irsay would have to go to Manning and say "Look, we'd really like to get rid of you. We think there are teams willing to shell out that $28 million bonus AND give us a 1st round pick for you. But right now, we have to cut you instead! Darn! Now take my word for it, those same teams lining up to pay the $28 mil + pick will only give you peanuts on the open market, so you'd be best off with a trade. So how about changing that strategically negotiated option trigger date in your contract? Oh, and by the way, if no trade materializes, YOU'RE OUR QB! WE'RE BEHIND YOU 110%!"

Last edited:
That is not true. He could delay the date of the option. The rule about revisiting contracts is tied to having already revisited them (you can't do that more than once a year). His is a new deal...

If Manning wanted to he could give the Colts more time in exchange for a no trade provision being added to the contract in exchange for delaying the option. But even that wouldn't serve Manning or a new team of his choice (with whom he'd want to get to work yesterday).

Link Please.

Bill Polian is the guy who choked a Jets staffer in the tunnel during a game once. I've never heard of Manning or Marino doing that.

He also declared the Patriots' run was "over" in 2006 and infamously yelled in the pressbox for someone to break Doug Flutie's leg during a scramble a year before.

Someone should inform Urgent that Polian was no Manning or Marino when it came to class.

Last edited:
i could see him jumping to san diego when we fire aj

then he'll probably fire norv

So....Monday Bloody Monday eh? Guess Colt fan has to reassess their side of the Pats/Indy best organization argument...we tried to tell them...oh, how we tried...but would they listen???...I just wonder what Bart Muleyy is doing right now out in that Indy cornfield with the crows his only company...pretty sad...

Silence of the Lambs

Just where ARE the pretentious fans of formerly viable rival teams such as Ryan the Colts Fan and the numerous Jets fans that infest this forum at the beginning of each season, you know before the losses start to mount...

Perhaps they've become soccer fans

This is such GREAT news for the Patriots and the other properly run teams in the league. There is nothing better than a meddlesome owner for screwing up a franchise and wasting draft pick and squandering veterans. Now that Al Davis is gone I was worried that the number of idiot meddlesome owners was down to only a few (Don Synder...Jerry Jones ...) but now this great news. The Colt will be the Dolts for the foreseeable future until Ursay wises up up....which may never happen.

Not only will this help with drafts but it will be very entertaining to watch Ursay burn through coaches and players....

When the Polians were shown the door Monday, we guessed that Colts owner Jim Irsay was at least partially choosing Peyton Manning over the team’s front office.

If nothing else, it will make it easier to keep Manning on the roster if that’s what Irsay truly wants to do. And there is no bigger fan of Peyton Manning than Jim Irsay.

Speaking on NBC SportsTalk Monday, Peter King supported this notion.

He’s heard that Irsay views Manning’s future as a “family decision” and not a “football decision.”

So what does that mean?

“It means to me that Jimmy Irsay is going to give Peyton Manning his $28 million bonus unless one of two things happen: Manning absolutely can’t play football or Manning wants out,” King said. “So I think Irsay has essentially put the onus on himself to make that huge decision.”
Irsay views Manning’s future as “family decision” not “football decision”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday